Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_314020514

Countertop Advice

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello all! I recently redid my kitchen. We did Silestone Ocean Storm quartz. We paired it with white cabinets and white subway tile backsplash. After it was installed it looked so beautiful! I was attracted to it’s sparkles and light reflection! I have yet to install under cabinet lighting/professional lighting. However, I have been upset over if it looks classic or timeless enough. Will it become “dated?” Also, sometimes I just think it looks too busy and way too dark. I’ve been seriously considering changing it to a lighter Silestone color called “Helix”. Helix has so much more light and looks so soft and relaxing. What do you think? Is the Ocean Storm pretty or classic enough? Or should I change it? Is it too dark and busy? I honestly think I am going crazy over nothing. I'm just looking for honest design advice. I appreciate it. Thanks all!










Comments (16)

  • 5 years ago

    I love the darker color! its pretty, unique and fresh, especially with white cabinets and backsplash. Trying to stay ahead of trends will only stress you out and make you second guess everything.

    Julianne Warfield thanked Jenn Powers
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Better to live with these types of decisions for a while.

    Julianne Warfield thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I think the light is boring. The dark has great appeal. I wonder when we all became so obsessed with everything being dated. Decorate with what you love. Also it would be such a waste to replace it

    Julianne Warfield thanked jck910
  • 5 years ago

    You are talking about ripping out brand new counters, because you fear that you choice isn't timeless? What on earth? You chose it for a reason, you don't hate it...I would revisit this thought after 5 years...timeless is an opinion.

    Julianne Warfield thanked lucky998877
  • 5 years ago

    Thanks you guys! Your comments are very sincere and thoughtful. I seriously do not know why I am stressing! It really is beautiful....I think I need to stay off Pinterest and Google lol! I stand by my original case when I chose it....I wanted something beautiful, unique and exciting!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    You picked the right one! But I know how easy it is to second guess these decisions. Very little is "timeless" and if you sell your home chances are someone will come in and change everything. So you have to go with what you LIKE.

    When I was picking my finishes two years ago - and still now - everywhere you look you see "marble-like" quartz . Well, I picked the busy Cambria Bellingham. After it was put in I literally lost sleep over how my counter is "dated" and nearly changed it. But one day a friend that has "marble like" quartz came over and said she loves my countertop and I thought, "I do love it!" "Marble like" doesn't suit me at all. Glad I kept Bellingham.

    Julianne Warfield thanked Abby Mac
  • 5 years ago

    Your counters are very striking! Embrace the dark contrast with the cabinets and enjoy it. They sort of remind me of a soapstone look. Pinterest can be fill us with inspiration or discontent in equal measure. Just go back into your kitchen and remind yourself the direction you chose to go in and why!

    Julianne Warfield thanked Amy Lynn
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    White may be timeless but the styles aren't. Our white counters and cabinets of today will be dated in 20 years when they are still doing "timeless white counters and cabinets" in a different style.

    I love that you didn't do boring white on white on white.

  • 5 years ago

    You picked a great one! Keep it! It is very beautiful and has timeless quality to it I think its stunning

  • 5 years ago

    You must keep it❣️❣️It is beautiful and timeless. Give yourself time to get used to the “newness” of it. I have Silestone charcoal soapstone counters and love darker counters!

  • 5 years ago

    Wait, what? You recently installed counters and you love them, but you are considering ripping them out because - in the future - they may become dated?


    i can’t even…..

  • 5 years ago

    Kculbers…your kitchen looks beautiful! I love the soapstone! So elegant! Thank you for sharing your photos. Your kitchen is so nice. Yeah after much considering I just feel totally crazy changing it! I can use the money elsewhere lol! Also, I plan to invest in doing more professional lighting to enhance the overall light of the kitchen!

  • 5 years ago

    H202…I love your honesty! I’m crazy, right? I appreciate all your comments and thoughts on the matter. I’ll post a few more photos of my kitchen soon!

  • 5 years ago

    Here are some more photos to give you an idea! I always remind myself that it is so sparkly and fun and that’s why I chose it!

  • 5 years ago

    Oh that is very lovely. Nice choice.

  • 5 years ago

    If you like it you should keep it. Yes, it will look dated at some point, everything does. It is lovely and sparkles are fun! Oh-I have the same range in induction and LOVE it!