Software
Houzz Logo Print
kim_knapp32

I need design ideas!

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Help! i want to refresh my kitchen and replace the existing island with a custom built one, replace the counters and add a coordinating backsplash. existing cabinets are hickory and in great shape. I've been told by cabinet makers that they won’t refinish well (paint or darker stain) as the pores in the wood are so large. With my cream tiled floors, im unsure what color i should pick for the island. and thinking the counter on it (granite or quartzite) should complement the outer counters. also wondering if i should add handles to the existing cabinets.



Comments (10)

  • 5 years ago

    I like the black counter with the cabinets. I might remove the short backsplash and replace with tile. Not a pro.

  • 5 years ago

    Why are you changing the counter? It looks gorgeous with the cabinets. Put black hardware on the cabinets and remove the short backsplash, as JjJ recommended.

  • 5 years ago

    The kitchen looks nice.
    I would probably do as follows:
    Add a custom hood vent instead of the microwave.

    Add hardware to the cabinets.

    Find out if your countertops can be leathered.

    Do a new backsplash.

    And if there’s still room in the budget. Two extra things I’d consider.
    One taking the cabinets to the ceiling. It’ll create a much more custom appearance.

    And two match the floors to the rest of the house.

    ———
    Great looking space! Lots of potential

  • 5 years ago

    The counters are granite tiles—have been told that style counter is very dated

  • 5 years ago

    Are you selling? If not and the countertops are in great condition (which it looks like from the pictures) and they are complementary to the cabinets "very dated" means nothing. I don't think you can do a much larger island (maybe just add a trash cabinet) because it doesn't look like there is 42" around it now. I think it is the floor that is the the worst part. The color is blah with the cabinets and the 12" squares are very nineties. Add the hardware as suggested. Maybe paint the wall in a light sage green

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I like everythin but your island in your kitchen. I dislike cabinet islands with zero over hang and if a kitchen is to narrow for the over hang then I like a prep table style island.




    i would put garbage in the cabinet under the sink as well.

  • 5 years ago

    Now that you mention it. I see the tile. Didn’t even notice before :)
    However I still think black is a good color for the space.
    I might do a black leathered countertop with some white veining in it.

  • 5 years ago

    You have a very nice kitchen to work with. I would do soapstone counters, add black matte hardware, remove the 4 inch splash and replace with a simple subway tile, keep it simple because your hickory cabs call for a not busy backsplash. I would choose a large rectangular floor tile to update the flooring.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    We think adding a hood vent instead of the microwave, adding hardware to the cabinets, updating the countertops, and adding a nice backsplash will help update your kitchen. Below is a design we did for a client. Also note the rug in place of an island.

    Modern Napa · More Info


Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio