Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_684135648

Need help completing the look

5 years ago

Got this bench. I plan to paint the seat a grey color and hang the picture seen but still feel like it's missing something. This is in my kitchen and in front is my kitchen island
My husband hates plans so not an option lol

Comments (32)

  • 5 years ago

    I think the area seems odd for a bench . The angle of the photo may be the cause of it though.
    It appears a trip Hazzard in a narrow area or maybe you mean it to be a place to remove shoes by the door?
    I would love to see it from another view or two.

  • 5 years ago

    We need to see what room this is and what the bench is facing before anyone can help. Is that a table or island in the corner of the picture, multiple photo angles are needed.

  • 5 years ago

    Based on this picture you provided, you might want to try painting the bench seat in a different color other than grey. Maybe pick up another color that you have in the kitchen or the house. Can you cover the seat with a cusion? How about adding decorative pillows or a throw? As for the picture, can you add candles or lighting around it? Maybe add a shelf or buy a topper to accent the picture? Kirkland's, At Home Store, Home Goods has some great deals for that kind of stuff. I see a door next to the bench...is it a garage door? Maybe add a carrier for umbrella's or a basket for shoes. You husband doesn't like plants...does that mean real or fake? A nice fake plant would look nice. Is there room for a little table? You can place cookbooks or magazines on with a candle or candle warmer. You can place baskets under the bench for more storage as well. How about a decorative mat in front of the bench that says something cute or picks up on the colors in your home? How about all of the above? Hope this helps! Bobbi Jo

  • 5 years ago

    I agree with a lot of the above suggestions.
    Start with a cushion and pillows instead of painting it.
    Maybe navy?
    Light blue?

    I don’t think you need anything else on that wall other than the art and the bench. Seems like that will fill the space up and I’d leave it at that.

  • 5 years ago

    Yes, nothing additional; just bench with chosen art above. Add color, not gray, with a seat cushion. Anything more will look cluttered.

  • 5 years ago

    Too much grey. Paint or stain the bench seat a different color. Add some protective backing to the bench or it will mar your wall. Other than that, I don't think you need anything else unless you are using the area as a sit down place to put on shoes. If so, add a small table to put down items like purse and keys.

  • 5 years ago

    I like things to match. I would tend to agree to paint the bench seat gray. It will blend well with your chair that is in the pictures. I do agree some accent pillows with a color or a pattern other than gray would be nice. The painting is pretty. I would put a floor vase next to the bench, maybe in silver. Also possibly a small decorative rug in front of the bench.

  • 5 years ago

    The entire spaces is undecorated and so bland idk what to do

  • 5 years ago

    The left and right of tv are difficult for me to consider decorating to . They arent symmetrical just cocavities there

  • 5 years ago

    Picture one just sent, I would consider painting the framing on your doors a dark gray. I think it will tie into your appliances and break up the space. If you like the idea of a floor vase in silver, how would you feel about a silver accent bowl on the island. Great for decorating with citrus fruit, will add color to the room. Picture two just sent, the living room. I think two floor lamps, that fan out . One on each side of the couch would look great.

  • 5 years ago

    Very nice space, but the whole area needs color. Starting with the kitchen - perhaps the bench is a spot to remove shoes, boots - ? The bench needs a cushion. Pick what ever color(s) you chose for throw pillows for the sofa. Is there a separate dining area, or just the island counter ? The living area: first start with an area rug between the sofa and the fireplace. Think out your color scheme before you buy anything. Pull the recliner out of the corner, closer to the end pf the sofa. If you leave the recliner closer to the corner it will need a floor lamp for reading, and a small table for drinks, magazines, etc. A pair of small tables for drinks at the ends of the sofa. The 2 areas on either side of the fireplace. Yes, they are not symmetrical, but that's OK. Find a couple of small tables, or cabinets - they do not have to match - and lamps for that end of the room. The lamps could match, giving a sense of symmetry to the fireplace wall. Lots of lamps in the living area - I see nothing but 1 ceiling light. Art everywhere. Send us photos when you have added some things - !

  • 5 years ago

    for starters: i would not paint the bench. i would sand the wood seat down and stain it darker, then polyurethane it. you need some natural accents, not more gray.

    the picture to me is too formal and would do better in the dining room, if u have one.... you need something more casual. kitchen art you could use a big clock instead. clock


    LR: i think i would nix the recliner altogether, either relocate or re-home it.

    add some lamps

    on one side of FP, a bookcase or storage unit

    other side, maybe? the recliner facing the TV, very hard to see what is to the right of FP


    i like the idea of art but i would also consider a family photo wall, maybe canvas, no frames to add interest and color.


    the piece to right of FP could be used where you are thinking of putting the bench?

    add a nice wooden bowl and fill with fake green apples or lemons


    think about changing your window covering in LR with a patten or a color in the color scheme you are going with.


    add a rug under the LR furniture...


    if u are going with the gray/white/black theme, that great, but pick a color to accent and pull it all together. and make it pop..... yellow, green, blue, maroon etc...


    you have a great foundation, just need the finishing touches...



  • 5 years ago

    Hi it is Renee again. Was thinking more about your most recent photos. In the living room maybe move the couch a little closer to the television. Then a decorative sofa table would look nice behind the couch. Maybe a colorful pattern rug in the space in front of the couch. Would you consider moving the reclining chair to the other side of television wall. There is more space. I think artwork around the television will look odd. I would use tea light scones on both sides. No wiring or plugs needed.

  • 5 years ago

    Painting the bench seat gray to match the stools is not going to look right. Black and dark gray are not the best look together--it'll look like a mistake. I'd either paint the whole thing gray or sand all color off and stain the whole thing in a rich brown stain to pick up the brown from the sectional. Either way, the bench would look more inviting with a cushion. The painting isn't good art. I'd rather see framed family photos or a reproduction of a real piece of art, also available in Target or museum stores as posters. Also, everyone here who says add an accent color throughout is right. Maybe the terracotta in the pot by the fireplace? You should always repeat an accent color three times in a room; that's why the brown sectional looks like an orphan. Use more brown in accessories and in the bench cushion, too. Maybe a pattern or stripe that features brown, gray, white and terracotta or a golden honey color. I also agree that you need a rug between the sofa and the fireplace. If you get a patterned rug, you can also pull colors from the rug to use as accents throughout the space. Good luck!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    i would not clutter that space with a bench. if you want something there, a tall slim console table with the print above, would be my first thought. Find a different spot for the bench, like maybe an entryway 🤷‍♀️

  • 5 years ago

    I have hung the photo. I saw some comments about finding another place like the entryway. I attached the pics of my entryway and just dont feel like it could work there.
    If you have any advice for my dining room I would also appreciate. I have considered removing that half wall bc I dont think it provides any value.

  • 5 years ago

    My fireplace the tv is so close down. Idk if I should have it mounted higher or if that is normal and just have docr on each end.
    Also any tips on hiding the DVD player.

  • 5 years ago

    The tree painting/photo is way too high on the wall above the bench. Artwork should not be level with the tops of door frames; take a look at some decorating magazines or decorating blogs online and see how pros do it. Art should be hung so the middle of the picture is at average eye level. If you're very short or tall, adjust for an average person's height. I agree with you about the half wall taking up space, but it does give a sense of separation at the entrance. Whatever feels right to you. The tv is at the perfect height. You don't want to have to strain your neck looking up as you watch, and that is how a piece of art should be hung above a mantel also.

  • 5 years ago

    I have owned and hone for 2 years and have done now decorating so I appreciate the tip. I did not know. I see sometimes they say hand curtains higher than the top of the framing to give the room an appearance of being more grand. I thought I was doing that hanging the picture lol

  • 5 years ago

    You are right about hanging curtains high on the wall! It makes the ceilings seem taller. But not art. ;) My husband is an artist and he taught me how to hang artwork years ago. Also, if you hang two or three framed pieces of different sizes together, like family photos, align the bottoms, not the tops. Art makes rooms come alive. Your dining room has a nice start, but I would add a large piece of art on the wall that's facing us as we look at the photo. Whatever accent colors you choose for your living/family room should also go in your dining room in artwork or other decor as you add it.



  • 5 years ago

    I agree that the half wall looks confining as you enter the house; I would want it taken down. The picture above the bench is a bit high but the TV placement is good.

  • 5 years ago

    Your picture looks pretty but needs to be hung a bit lower and it will be perfect. Your dining room has great space for large artwork. I agree with you about the wall. It needs to come down but if you keep it and there is room, maybe add a cart for entertaining purposes that can hold glasses, etc. I would hang curtains with decorative rods and set your table with place settings. If you use it every day and don't want to keep moving everything, putting a nice lantern in the middle would look nice. Maybe add a tray, lantern, and a decorative bowl. Soemthing to that affect. You could also hang a picture on one wall that faces the opening of the room and a decorative mirror on the other facing the window. That way light reflects off the mirror and can make the room look and feel bigger. If you are looking for color suggestions, so many colors go with grey and you can also bring in natural elements as well. You are on the right track. Don't feel intimidated. And just tell yourself, if it doesn't look right, keep your receipt and return the items for something else! Take a look at Pinterest and Houzz for design inspo. I also follow Ballard Designs for design options and have a blog called Two Adorable Labs (www.twoadorablelabs.com) where I've added some design posts under the "Maggie Lane Designs" tab after my dog Maggie of course :-) . I'm hoping to create more interior designs posts in the future. All are based on my own houses and being self taught. I hope my suggestions help you. Bobbi Jo

  • 5 years ago

    Hi, I agree the painting would not look as good elsewhere. It looks good over the bench, but please lower it. Removing the half wall could cause problems. Is there any electrical outlets in the dining room on the half wall. Also you will need flooring that matches once the half wall is removed. What do you think about hanging a small mirror on the regular wall in the entry. The reflection of the dining room might make the space appear larger and take away your eye from the half wall. The dining room would look better with artwork. I agree different sizes would look best. The dining room would benefit with placemats and chargers. That way your table looks finished. Your television is at the perfect height. Your ivy like garland looks good.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Hi it is Renee again. I was thinking about your half wall. Maybe if you get a beautiful rectangular basket to place on the wall. It could be used for keys, etc. Then the half wall would have a purpose.

  • 5 years ago

    I just don't get the layout overall. I guess I see more the dining set with the kitchen and the sofa in the front room... I know it feels good to look at the fireplace from your sofa but for me, it would make much more sense to habe all kitchen/dining together. Your bench would look great in the entry way, and a buffet at its place in the kitchen area. Just my opinion, you live in your space...

  • 5 years ago

    This is how I finished it. May change placement based on chatting and reading your input.
    That was something I never considered moving the living room into the front room. The area in front of the kitchen is just so large that I feel it would look barren with just a dining room table.

    I have seen some ppl have been able to edit the photos with your ideas. I am def a visual person so if any of you know how to do that and wouldnt mind sharing your ideas. I am really enjoying this!

  • 5 years ago

    I do not mean to be picky, but your artwork is still too high. It should be hung lower than the door frame. No artwork should be as high as the door frame. It just needs to come down a little bit. The pumpkin pillows tie into your floor. The throw over the seat is ok. I would paint the seat if possible. Sorry but the empty planter does not look good. I think a floor vase would be better. Black would match the back of the bench. It could be filled with dried flowers with long grass bunches, pussy willows, or cotton stem branches. Overstock sells these items.

  • 5 years ago

    Please do not change the location of your dining room to off of the kitchen. You are correct the space off the kitchen is too large for a dining room.

  • 5 years ago

    Hi, I was on Overstock and saw some items you might be interested in. Your brown sectional sofa would look great with some accent pillows. If you are interested maybe the Loma Bohemian striped 20 inch throw pillows. If you want to add a rug between the sectional sofa and television, maybe Safavieh Florida Shag Sigtraud Abstract Waves 1.2 inch Thick Rug Cream/Grey. Overstock also has a sofa table for behind your sectional sofa. It might separate the living room from the kitchen space. The sofa table in black it would tie into your bench. Costway Black Accent Console Table Modern Sofa Entryway Hallway Hall-Black.

  • 5 years ago

    Hi, I love to decorate and shop on line. If you are interested in taking a look, I found the following. Regarding the space around your television. I would add wall shelves. I do not think artwork would look correct. If you like the idea of adding sconces to the right and left next to the television, HOUZZ has a set. DecorShore Mosaic Wall Sconces Tea light Candle Holders 12". Regarding the dining room for a more finished look I like to leave the table set with placemats and chargers. HOUZZ has Couleurs Du Monde Classic Design Charger Plates set of 4 Copper and Sparkles Home Luminous Round Rhinestone Placemat Charcoal Rose. If you like the idea of a basket for keys on the half wall then Target has a nice one. Americanflat Retangular Hand Woven Basket with Durable Metal Frame.