Software
Houzz Logo Print
laurajazz

Naked fireplace mantle

5 years ago

I just redid my fireplace (before an after photos below)… But now my mantle looks naked…What if anything should I put on my fireplace mantle?

Comments (17)

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Can you... reassure us about which is before and which is after? If the top photo is after, I wouldn't add a thing to the mantel. Give yourself time to get used to the more minimalist feel...

  • 5 years ago

    A lantern on one side or something like beach wood. A vase of twigs(glass or jug). But only one. Breathe u achieved it.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you - the top photo (black fireplace) is the “after”.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Very nice update! If people must paint brick fireplaces, I encourage to consider black vs. white. Yours looks great.

    Would move metal wall art down just a bit.

  • 5 years ago

    It will look great if you bring down the metal thingy a little, like mdln said.

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I love the black I agree the art could be just a tad lower but you could just place apiece that is long and low below the art .I aslo think the black hole for the fire box could use something maybe glass fire stones


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Some ideas:

    Your grouping of candlesticks or something similar on one side, your stack of books with the objet d art on them for the other side, or the candlesticks with one vase.

    You could layer things:



    Or use all lower items:



    Other looks:







    Or just leave it bare:



    I’d just play around with arrangements to see what you like.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    'art vibe'.. eclectic?.. bring in colors of art nearby. Are you keeping the clear table?

    It' place to express life interest of you/yours with any item of any shape... cause fp is now a simple 'base' for it. Vintage surfboard... I saw soccer player, abstract on houzz.


    Stratton Home Decor Mid Century Modern Centerpiece Wall Decor · More Info


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Is this the first change? or the middle of a redecorating?

    If earthy like the neutral of sofa appeals -- your item could shine a bit in ceiling's light?


    Diamond Jubilee HD Curved · More Info

  • 5 years ago

    I think the metal artwork is the wrong scale. I tried turning them on their sides and mirror flipping them, but I didn't like how they match up. Maybe you will though? In that case, I suggest putting nothing else and seeing if you get used to it.


    Also, I tried placing one (turned on its side), and then added a few vases and a dangling plant. If there is not enough light: I typically don't like fake plants, I do find that certain types of succulents can look pretty convincing if you get a good quality one (this plant is called "string of pearls").

    the white ceramic vases are from West Elm.

    I also removed the wooden vase off to the left because I feel like this area is getting too cluttered now.


  • 5 years ago

    Moving the metal art down a few inches is all you need, but you might consider staining or painting the mantel to match the rest of the fireplace.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    or if you couldn't find a new home for the wooden vase, then put it on the mantle, and pair it with something that compliments it (this is from that same West Elm collection linked above):

    this would be an EASY fix! return the other metal piece, or put it somewhere else.

  • 5 years ago

    The comments have been extremely valuable, thank you everyone…

    I actually am in the middle of a Reno for this room, I have made some dramatic changes, not just the fireplace… And I will do a reveal here (before and after), But First I need to wait for my new sofas to arrive (or more accurately, one sofa, one chaise that will be placed like a sofa). With the furniture backlogs, that could be another eight weeks before that happens… (I ordered them in June!!! ). For the coffee table, I believe I have settled on a lucite, 1 inch thick custom-made sled coffee table. (also have considered glass, but don’t like the weight of it).

    For the fireplace I have searched for a nice mid century sculpture on live auctioneers.com, nothing within my realm of affordability has shown up yet but it may, patience. I agree with the comments to lower the current placeholder metal fireplace wall art (thank you Target).

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Just curious what style seating? simple? mid-century arms and such? I also thought of rotating your metal, but wanted to post a change..

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Decided to see your ideabooks, nice btw. Like this off-center piece, maybe you would like your metal at the side... and add to it...?

    Fireplace Selection · More Info


    My Houzz: A Designer’s Cool Gray Loft Transformed in Montreal · More Info


  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Lower the wall decor so it looks visually connected to the FP



  • 5 years ago

    Everdebz - I ordered Crate & Barrel https://www.crateandbarrel.com/pacific-bench-track-arm-sofa-with-wood-legs/s239212 and https://www.crateandbarrel.com/pacific-left-arm-chaise-lounge-with-wood-legs/s239382.

    My big issue is scale… This is a small home, the living room is 22 feet long (with the fireplace in the middle) and 12 feet wide, so you can see the furniture challenge… fortunately, I have opened up the wall opposite the fireplace so that it’s pretty much open to the rest of the house and does not feel so closed in.

    Also One end of the living room is glass With a great view to the back, so “low profile“ sofa (in this case, the chaise) was a must so as to not obstruct the view to the outside. (it’s also a great place for my dog to camp out and monitor everything that’s happening around the house).

    my ceilings are 8’, another reason to have low profile furniture.

    Crate and barrel had the best option for scale and I like the easy breezy style of the pacific line. I don’t like to go to over the top in any one particular style, not too much MCM, not too much industrial, but I like to flirt a little with everything.

    My idea books may be misleading, I have put together ideabooks for a few different residences… all very different.