Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brianna_peebles

Need help, cannot identify house plant.

Brianna P
2 years ago

I cannot remember where I got this plant but it’s just a baby and recently it started to struggle. I clipped off quite a few leaves today, and I’ve spent the better part of my day searching sites and looking at pictures to identify this lil baby. With no luck, here I am, asking for help. I just want to help it thrive and know how to take care of it, thanks in advance!

Comments (9)

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    2 years ago

Looks like a coffee plant.

• Brianna P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think you’re right!

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago

Yes, coffee

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

growing trees indoors can be very tricky ...

one trick is to use a media for trees.. which is not like yours.. a tree media sheds water and retains less.. as most trees prefer ... they are not water loving houseplants .. you almost treat them like cactus ...

the other problem is light intensity ... indoors ...

check out a bunch of these ... and learn all you can ... they make it sound like its the easiest houseplant in the world to grow.. so what do i know .... but if you start having issues.. remember what i said .... its the first 2 issues i would wonder about ....

ken

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=coffee+houseplant&t=ffab&ia=web

ps: any green on a leaf means that leaf is still doing its job of converting light into energy... dont go cutting them off because they are ugly ... until it starts putting out new leaves to replace them ... in other words.. ignore your brown edged and boo boos... for now ...

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Coffee actually makes a fairly straight forward houseplant and can be kept as a small shrub. It prefers high humidity, bright light but not direct sun, good drainage and a moist soil on the acidic side. Dry air can cause brown leaf edges. Please do not treat your coffee like a cactus.

btw what you have there is several coffee seedlings rather than a single plant. They're often sold in clumps like that.

• Jurassic Park
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

They need fairly consistent moisture at the roots and in the air, and they absolutely HATE, dry, central heating. They don't need the brightest sun indoors but are still somewhat of a challenge in the average American home (mostly too warm and dry over winter).

P.S., "growing trees indoors can be very tricky ..."

Anyone growing Scheffleras, Rubber trees, or any number of other tropicals, is already growing trees indoors.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago

My colleague has been growing a couple of coffee plants in two six inch ceramic pots for several years now. They are remarkably resilient. For the longest time they were in a north facing windowsill. I encouraged him to move them to west facing windows after getting inspired by someone on the internet actually getting coffee shrubs to bloom indoors in containers. Since their move to sunny locales, they have doubled in size. Bottom line, they can happily take sun and a fair bit of neglect (these plants have not had a change in their potting mix ever and the only "fertilizer" they got was some used coffee grounds!

• Brianna P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So much good information, thank you all! I live in Phoenix so the a/c and fans are always running and it gets very dry. It could use a bit more sun as well, I really appreciate all the help :)

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago

Okay, the phoenix sun is very different from the Princeton sun so take it slow there. We don't want the poor thing to turn crisp overnight. :)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler