Software
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_t100

Do I need new furniture or a different way of envisioning this space?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We've lived here for over 10 years and this narrow living room has never felt "right". The previous owners took the wall down between the living room and back bedroom, leaving a long, narrow space to work with. This is a traditional cape-style home. We can get new furniture (sectional, accent chairs, etc.?), put in built-in's (next to the back window or next to the fireplace?) or even make the back window bigger and less bedroom-sized. Besides kids toys, I haven't had a purposeful use of the back room. I've tried placing furniture opposite of the fireplace (thinking of putting the TV on that very long wall next to it) but that also feels "off" because of the staircase.

Would making the back area more of a sitting room with 2 accent chairs and a round ottoman help? I'm usually not this inept at decorating! The rest of the house is fantastic and my previous homes were, too!

I genuinely appreciate any ideas you all may have. My goal is to have a living room that is pleasing to the eyes, comfortable and flows.


The total length is about 25' x13' wide in the front and 10' wide in the back area.







Comments (6)