Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn57713

Does this kitchen layout have a "name"?

Jennifer
2 years ago

Have fallen in like with a floorplan and loving it more as I make my own tweaks to it. I have been searching for kitchens that are similar in style to this one, with the shaped island at the diagonal here, but none of the keywords I use result in many hits. I'm hoping to find some inspiration pictures for my kitchen. Is there a certain "style" or "name" (like U-shaped or L- shaped) that I should be using? Thank you!

Comments (30)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

I generally call that island shape a 'boomerang'

Generally this is an island shape that was huge in the 90's and 2000's but now we are replacing them with rectangles. It may be perfect for your space but just be aware that it is a style that was huge in the last big boom so it may look dated before you even start.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Would it be better to have the island rectangular but at an angle? I didn't create this kitchen style. I don't hate it but would like it better if it can be better in that space. Is that possible?

• res2architect
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Its commonly called a "dogleg with seating" and often labeled "before".

• bpath
    2 years ago

So, what is it you like about an angled island?

Note that it puts your clean-up space 9’ away from the prep and cooking space. That’s kind of far, to drip across the floor.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

None but maybe one of my "kitchen ideaboard" pictures have the angled island. (I happened to find one and saved to just have it.) I'm not drawn to it. I'm not great at re-imagining the space though. I'm definitely out of my element here and open to suggestions. FWIW, when we move in, there will be 4 kids under age of 8, so things need to flow well. I want pretty but efficient is a important or more to me.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

So you are building new and this is a stock plan?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

So many things to be crrected on that plan IMO Angled walls are never ideal and to do one on purpose is really not good. Pantry space outside the working area of the kitchen is not prctical. I would suggest you spend the money on an independant kitchen designer and get a perfect for you kitchen. You might get more help here if you post the whole house floor plan

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@hallett yes, new build. This was one of several plans the builder sent to us as options.

@Patricia I'll talk with the builder about options with the kitchen and then consider hiring a kitchen designer. The builder is really great to work with and may be able to rework this easily for us. During "quarantine" during 2020 I reworked a closet in our basement as a second pantry. This one seems amazing in comparison :)

@bpath you're right, that is a distance to drip and spill!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

"Inefficient"

Have your architect (if they are well versed in kitchen design) or kitchen designer send you a plan to review. Do not let your builder design your kitchen, you deserve better than that.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

"Kevin"

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@3 thank you for that laugh! Have been working from home with three little kids the past 2 weeks as covid popped up here. Stressed, pregnant, and exhausted. I thank you for the Kevin :) :)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 years ago

Would it be better to have the island rectangular but at an angle?

Why an angle? It would be easy to fit a rectangular island. In the following plan I drew a 48" deep island, with a pony wall for plumbing, but the depth could be expanded, and a second row of cabinets added for extra storage. (This concept is easier to use if you have kids you can send under the island overhang to retrieve items from the extra cabinets. ;)

Is the DR off to the right? I rotated the plan to better fit the page. ETA, forgot to mention that I also made the cabinets on the fridge wall deeper, to match the depth of a standard fridge box:

NKBA guidelines

New to Kitchens? Read me first.

Discussions--Extra-deep counters

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

I have seen this called a G shape

• Sharon Fullen
    2 years ago

Please take the advice above and hire a Kitchen Designer. This layout is too dated looking. Even if you love it and this is you’re forever home, you’ll probably grow tired of it. If you want to sell later, it’ll be the first thing buyers will want to replace.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

The angled sink with the open DW door at shin height partly behind you, The cleanup sink facing a living area. a refrigerator opening at a pinch point in the kitchen and a prep sink/counter cut off from the rest of the workspace by the refrigerator are all things that make this a not-so-nice kitchen to work in.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mama thank you for this drawing. I know it sounds basic, but I couldn't envision that and now I can. I really appreciate the links too... I've been reading through everything (as well as feeding 2 toddlers lunch), hence my bit of radio silence. Good point about cabinet depths

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you everyone for the comments and input. I had a chance to talk to the husband. We'll set up chance to talk with architect on the next week or two to redo this kitchen.

I really appreciate everyone's inputs here! It will be awhile but once I get an updated kitchen, I'll upload it here. (I know everyone says that and then doesn't, but I will - promise!)

Thanks again and stay well!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

I am guessing the people here would rather see baby pictures than a kitchen layout. Enjoy both.

• partim
    2 years ago

When we were renovating we got 2 kitchen companies to give us a plan with a quote. They were told "no corner sink". One came back with a corner sink and we basically told him to go away. At which point he tried to convince us that the corner sink is good. Nope. And then implied that we owed him money for the design. Nope. Sometimes I wonder how some businesses survive, but maybe he didn't.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Here on Houzz we normally call it bad design.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm back a little sooner than expected. Husband called the builder and is setting up appointment with architect. I've been given homework in the meantime (by the hubs)... "what look am I going for". I had previously cut out a floorplan and appliances to "play" with the design to move stuff around.

I haven't settled on the "look" and will definitely consult the pros, but it looks like I have room for 2 islands. Do you all agree? If so, I may start looking for ideas with 2 islands.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Ignore ‘look’, it literally doesn’t matter at this juncture. You need a plan that works. Double islands rarely are it. You need a professional to guide you. Why not the architect (if there is one). Where is the builder buying his cabinets? They likely have someone on staff.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Hallett. Yes, there's an architect that exists, which is who we're making the appointment with. I'll just stop thinking of the kitchen until then I guess.

• KP
    2 years ago

G shape kitchen

• cpartist
    2 years ago

I suggest you read the thread in the kitchen forum that talks about how to layout a kitchen.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

This is the type of questions that should be asked by the person that designs your kitchen:

How many cooks are in the kitchen at one time?

What appliances do you want in the kitchen?

What are your favorite meals to cook?

What are your favorite meals to eat?

How many people do you normally cook for each meal?

Do you shop at warehouse stores?

What would you consider the largest number of people you would prepare a meal for in the proposed kitchen?

What do you like better, regular Oreo cookies or Pepperidge Farm Mint Milano cookies?

And other questions.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mark mint Milano, but only after kids are in bed. I don't want to have to share ;)

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

This is surely the reason the angled counter was introduced. To avoid a pinch point with the back room, physically and visually. By shifting the room over, you avoid the need for the angled counter or a shorter rectangle island. You cannot design the Kitchen in a vacuum, everything gets manipulated to some degree as design progresses (and not just in plan, elevation and section too).

• mainenell
    2 years ago

That island shape is called a “batwing” in my area.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm