Software
Houzz Logo Print
dsnason

Bathroom update needed!

5 years ago

I am looking for ideas to freshen up this bathroom without taking down all the tiles on that walls and ripping out the tub!

What color vanity would go? I was thinking white with dark hardware which would tie in with the tub.

I would also replace the black toilet with a white one.

Can I keep the tub black? Or should I look into having it painted?

Thank you!

Comments (6)

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Do not add white. There is no white in the room now. For the vanity; grey, blush, willow green, pink, aqua. The different tiles make for a busy room but *I* like it!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Are you looking at a vanity to replace the pedestal sink because you want more functional storage? Or is this update desired because you want to introduce a new look to the space? As for adding white to the beige and black tiles, I say it can be done. Look at this quick screen shot of a Valentino outfit for 2021-2022.



    Because beige and white isn't a conventional pairing (the pair is usually cream and white), it now looks fresh. Black grounds it, imo. The beige, white and black palette will be be popping up more and more in decor, I suspect.

    If you want to add white to your bathroom, it'll need to look intentional with repeats. Vanity, bath mat, window treatment, maybe accessories if not considering a shower curtain (I don't know if you dislike your sliding doors). Try introducing the white with the least expensive elements first to see how you like it with the beige and black tile.

    Alternatively, know that tile can be installed over tile with the right bonding material. It can also be painted. As for painting (DIY or Pro finish) the tub, yes, the look will change but will the finish last? That's usually the worry with this type of painting transformation. Depends on what type of solution you're seeking as a homeowner.


    ETA: More ideas to help you figure out a new colour palette in this space: drape a white sheet in the tub to help you visualize how a white tub would look with the current tiles. Try the same with the sink. Mocking up colour ideas with fabric in a space can be an easy way to help us visualize a change. You can also paint match the tile (with a paint match app like SW's Color Snap) and pick up the corresponding paint chips at the paint store to play around with complementary colour chips.

  • 5 years ago

    Hi! Yes I was looking for more functional space with a new vanity for my tween daughters bathroom. I like the idea of using fabric to see how colors might look in there. I hadn’t thought of putting in a curtain but that might be a good way to cover the black tub.

    I was thinking about covering the floor with laminate wood flooring to make it look a little more modern. But laying tile over tile is another idea!

    Thank you for the suggestions!

  • 5 years ago

    Agree with @Olychick about the floor. Besides, I don't think finding a laminate wood to pair with the tile will be a breeze. Bring some samples home to see how it looks. The bathroom looks well done. If everything is structurally sound with no mold, I'd simply work with the existing tile. All depends on your budget, of course.

  • 5 years ago

    We hated the black toilets that came with our current house. It is very hard to see the state of cleanliness and we quickly replaced with white. I think white fixtures would work fine with your tile and unless your really loving the black resurfacing the tub to white would be great.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County