Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franca_favrin_vacca

Size for dining room table.

FF
2 years ago

Hi, my dining room is 12 ft wide (144 inches) and 14.6 feet (176 inches long). Currently I have a tbale that is 45 inches wide x 96 inches long. Other than a bar cart there will bo no other furnitue in the room. I am thinking of getting a larger table. 48 inches by 102 inches. 4ft by 8.5 feet. I am not worried about the width but my concern is the head chairs at the end of the table. I have someone who will make me a table top so I have the conveneivne of choosing any size I want. Any advice would be appreciated. Do I leave the table as is or go bigger? Thank you.

Comments (21)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Are you planning a rug for the room? Looks like a bluish rug won't match the greenish cast in the gray/blue drapery panels.

• FF
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Beverly not sure if I am planning to get a rug. For now my foucs was on the size of the table. Thank you for the ideas for an area rug definitley makes a difference. Really like the last pic.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

curious why you need to change it?

FF thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • FF
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi, I actually can leave as is. But the gentlemen who made it for me is willing to make a larger size if it too small so was hoping to get some advice on the size as it is or if I shouod go a bit larger. Thank you.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Can he make you some leaves to give you options? It’s already a custom table so he could give you two matching leaves and then you have three different sizes.

• halberta
    2 years ago

I like the leaves idea. Gives more options. Looks like you have room for a round table. Is that an option?

• FF
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Will have to find out if that is an option. Prefer rectangle but thanks for the idea. Mainly my concern is how the size looks as it is or do i go bigger if leaves are not an option. Thanks

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

The rug and table can't be two separate items in your approach, because the rug should be 36-42" larger than the table all around to allow for chair scoot and sit space. You don't want chairs falling off the rug when pulled out and sat in. You also want room for someone to exit the table on the wall side without everyone having to get out of their seat to let them pass. The rug should not run into baseboards but should have at least as 12-18" border of flooring showing all around it. Best thing you can do now is get some painter's tape and a measuring tape and do a rough out of what you actually have and what you envision to really know what will work and look good from a balance/function standpoint

• FF
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! If I choose not to go with a rug does table as is appear too small?

• MarleneM
    2 years ago

It’s hard to tell from photos but it looks like the table isn’t centred in room. It’s looking closer to the window than the wall. If this is the case and you go with a bigger table and still want table centre under light, it may be too close to window.

• FF
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you. Yes it is closer to the window by about 2 inches .

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

The light fixture feels too heavy for the room, ceiling height and table. (I borrowed the picture you liked from Beverly.)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Something like this would suit the style you have going.

FF thanked Flo Mangan
  • FF
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you!

• FF
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Definity add more chairs during the holidays. Thanks for te great ideas!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

The length as it is is perfect and you could go a bit wider I like a table where if you like family style dining there is lots of space for the food.

FF thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • FF
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you. I think I am going to go a bit wider so it would be 4 x 8. Thanks for all your ideas. Would you add an area rug?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I like a rug under dining table and I think you have the room. Just do the math with new size table top. Add at least 24” to each side from edge of table and ends and that will help define rug size. I think a nice creamy rug would give the table and chairs a beautiful backdrop. Just get a rug that is cleanable. I have had light rugs in our dining rooms for years. No big issues. I get them professionally cleaned about twice a year. After Christmas and mid year if needed. 😁

FF thanked Flo Mangan
  • Lori Proudfoot
    2 years ago

I have an "oversized" table (actually wider than average). It makes buying tablecloths difficult.

FF thanked Lori Proudfoot
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

You can layer tablecloths or use placemats and runners.