Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolyn_morog

New build/remodel regrets?

Carolyn Morog
2 years ago

What do you have in a newer build/remodel that, if you could, would do differently? Anything big or small.

Comments (8)

• Kayla Higdon
    2 years ago

We were first time home buyers buying a new build with an inexperienced realtor. Make sure you get a good realtor - and closing attorney, do not use the builders if you go that route. Those were my first 2 mistakes. Too many to list. But bottom line. Schedule regular inspections of the progress, be there for the house inspection - just bc its a new build doesnt mean its done right! Always get one.

If something is wrong, immediately speak up. That was my biggest problem. No one to blame now but myself.

Best of luck.

• chispa
    2 years ago

If you search on this forum, you will find several posts discussing that exact subject with lots of good answers and insights. Worth searching for.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Years ago my future wife was having a garage built. I gave the builder sketches of a design and asked if he wanted construction drawings, and he said he could build it from the sketches. After a 12/12 roof pitch became a 4/12 roof pitch, and 2 two foot square awning windows became a five foot wide sliding window, I realized I should have given him construction drawings.

• bfatx
    2 years ago

You get what you pay for. Pick a reputable contractor.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You will get a thousand answers, and brutal truth? Nobody has built or remodeled anything without a minor regret, even a tiny one, something miniscule!! ...........SOMEWHERE.

The way to minimize regrets, is to plan, plan plan. Get an architect, a KITCHEN designer .....if at all possible. A great builder/contractor.....and yes, even interior design help . A team.

Give yourself time. Everyone loves or hates something. It's a process. A good team helping you helps GREATLY.

All build and remodel is a marriage of the site, interior/exterior/, the resources, and the way you live. It is SO personal, that the only way to tackle is to make a wish list. Be prepared to edit that list a hundred times. From would be wonderful, to could be nice, to must have....etc. Room by room. And edit yet again : )

"Perfection"? Well. How many PERFECT people do you know? It's the same with build and remodel.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I agree with Jan the more planning and thought that goes into the design the better and the more help you can get the better .

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Jan said it best