Software
Houzz Logo Print
jojojovich

Kitchen pull-down faucets: "sous" prof style vs more "standard" style

4 years ago

Is there any performance or how well they hold up differences between the "sous" professional style pull-down faucets, versus any more "standard" style pull-down faucet? EG:


https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Sous-Pro-Style-Single-Handle-Pull-Down-Sprayer-Kitchen-Faucet-in-Chrome-K-R10651-SD-CP/206086297

versus

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Rubicon-Single-Handle-Pull-Down-Sprayer-Kitchen-Faucet-in-Polished-Chro


Just wondering, thanks!

Comments (10)

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I think because the big coil design probably withstands tons more use/abuse and will spring back virtually forever -- which is why they're used in commercial kitchens. Whereas the retractable ones are more simplified looking, but are mixed when it comes to reliably retracting when they get even a little bit old.

    My Moen faucet retracts pretty nicely most of the time. One key is to be sure the weight is in just the right spot (it's moveable), and that the hose isn't being caught up on clutter under the sink.

    Jen F thanked User
  • 4 years ago

    Thank you Seattle MCM! I asked I guess because it's only professional "style," not a true professional faucet... so didn't know if they might easily end up broken (this is for a condo, which I may end up renting out, so.... ).


    If anyone has used this faucet, I'd love any comments. Though Kohler, it is a notably inexpensive version of this type of faucet!

  • 4 years ago

    I would bet that since both styles are very popular now, there is as much variety in quality within each type as between the two. Just research the models you're considering and see whether they have good reviews, or buy from a reliable manufacturer at an actual plumbing shop rather than a big-box store (which sometimes get cheaper versions of the same faucets)...

    Jen F thanked acm
  • 4 years ago

    AWESOME point, mk3 z5b_MI -- thank you for that reminder!! Wherever I live (usually have a pet or two) is mysteriously dusty, so that's a great point re the sous version. Thank you!! :)

  • 4 years ago

    In my last home, i had professional/ commercial look appliances so i had that professional spring faucet. I bought it (a good brand name) from the HD. I loved it, it blasted everything down the sink and it never got gross or dirty. It held up like a champ,never a problem. It was built well, and of course with that design, you have to sort of yank it around but again, if the style of your kitchen calls for it, they make some beautiful ones. Now im building the home that hopefully will be our last, and the style of course is different so we went with a delta trinsic it costs about 3 x as much as my old one but it has a sleeker more contemporary look that belongs in my kitchen. The pull down handle is easier as I'm past the point of wanting to wrestle with anything. Although im 50, Im designing this home with an eye to the future, and most of my choices are easier to clean (went from a gas range to induction) and easier just for function as I only have 1 reach in cabinet in my kitchen. Go with what the style of your kitchen calls for but make sure you have the clearances for those ”professional” faucets because some of them are huge.


    Jen F thanked M Riz
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    We stayed in a rental house that had a prostyle faucet. I did not like it. The coil was so tight that it was hard to use. Maybe they can be adjusted but I never tried because it wasn't the faucet for the main sink. How would you clean where the coil part is?

    Jen F thanked vinmarks
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    99% of the time, spray it down with cleaner, let it sit and then hot water on a microfiber. Dont let stuff dry snd crust over on it.

    Jen F thanked M Riz
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I worked in commercial kitchens for years and those coils get gross I would stick with a good quality faucet without the coils BTW I have Ikea faucets in my catering kitchen so a ton of use and in 14 yrs not one issue with the pulldown .

    Jen F thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 4 years ago

    I appreciate the comments -- thank you, all! Given there are a couple/few comments re keeping things clean, not currently my forte (Can be, but is not currently), I'll stick with a non sous, non coil version. I've also tried them, and I, also, thought there were harder to pull down so that is influencing me also, so thank you for that reminder, too! :-)