Software
Houzz Logo Print
poorgirl

charcoal colour for interior built in closets

4 years ago

Hi there, we have a shortage of white laminate right now to build our closets. My husband says that right now the rage building with the colour charcoal which now has a shortage , but he has some in his shop he can use. I love the idea of having a colour in the closet , what do you guys think. I would live to open my closet to a colour I think that would be nice… but it’s scaring me to commit to such a dark colour. The doors would be white, and the charcoal would go well with our floors. 4 bedroom closets and an entryway closet. We would be selling this house , would this scare anyone.

Comments (17)

  • 4 years ago

    How much charcoal would there be? If the walls are painted white, but you have charcoal shelves, that's one thing, but if there will be a lot of doors and drawer fronts that's another thing. That would overall be very dark. If you do end up doing that, make sure the lighting will be sufficient. One thing that is important in closets is being able to tell navy blue and black apart. :-)

    poorgirl thanked kandrewspa
  • 4 years ago

    It would all be charcoal because they are all customer built ins. theses are only 5 ‘ closets and reach ins.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I think I need a pic for context. What are you using the laminate for exactly ? IMO a 5' reach in closet is usually just painted inside the same as the bedroom walls .

    poorgirl thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 4 years ago

    Just use good lighting. If its reach in, rope lighting inside the closet around the door trim will illuminate what you have nicely. At this time in history, you do what you have to do and make it work. Everybody wants a well organized closet no matter the color, thats what sells.

    poorgirl thanked M Riz
  • 4 years ago

    Here is a picture of the built in cabinet going into 2 of the bedroom closets. Each bedroom will also have a dresser. The charcoal scared me so we are looking at a different company for the laminate, it is pretty dark.
    All the bedroom closets will look like the finished cabinet front except the doors will go all the way to the ceiling and be sprayed Dove White.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    That looks like a lot of storage for a smaller area. To me its a good use of the space that you have. I thought you were doing built ins inside an existing double door reach in.

    poorgirl thanked M Riz
  • 4 years ago

    Ok I didn’t want to show this!! But here it is we have had to clear our basement out and store everything upstairs as we are getting all the HVC replaced to 3” and putting in cold air returns. This is the closet, so you see there is no drywall only cabinet , and this is the broom closet from the other picture I showed you with the doors closed. So all the white you see in broom closet would be charcoal colour in the bedroom closets.

  • 4 years ago

    M Ruiz, yes I think they make good use of the space and all the shelves will be adjustable.

  • 4 years ago

    Personally I wouldn’t do charcoal anything. But that’s just me.

    poorgirl thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • 4 years ago


    Ikea makes a gray closet i dont think it looks too dark, You would have to decorate the room around the closet. I have these closets inside a 60” reach in, but they are white. If i had to i would have used gray, but again they are reach ins with white doors.

  • 4 years ago

    Wow, I didn’t see these in IKEA, I started with a consult with ikea because my husband is so busy building everything else I thought we might be able to use ikea but in the end there was 8” of wasted filler space because we are not exactly 60. “. But this is a really nice layout

  • 4 years ago

    I really like the grey, anyway it is going to be some form of colour, I’ll know tonight once I get the new sample books that my husband will bring home.

  • 4 years ago

    I also have the master closet that has to be designed if anyone has some input . I have never had to share a closet as my husband always had his own , but this closet has to be shared , I’m at a loss how to create the space for he and she. It will also be the same colour inside as the others . Once again there is space in the room for 2 dressers if needed .
    The panel on the right hand side is a fake panel that has the cold air return in it.

  • 4 years ago

    I also have the master closet that has to be designed if anyone has some input . I have never had to share a closet as my husband always had his own , but this closet has to be shared , I’m at a loss how to create the space for he and she. It will also be the same colour inside as the others . Once again there is space in the room for 2 dressers if needed .
    The panel on the right hand side is a fake panel that has the cold air return in it.

  • 4 years ago

    Ooops sorry I posted twice and I dont know how to delete

  • 4 years ago

    M Ruiz, yes for sure it’s great, he is no doubt a perfectionist who creates beautiful work on everything he does. Very busy guy

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio