Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rberesh73

Staircase Upgrade

rberesh73
2 years ago

Hello all, I'm looking for some help in upgrading my staircase. I've heard that replacing the hand rail would be pretty expensive so i'm thinking of replacing the spindles. Just looking for some suggestions (picture mock ups are greatly appreciated!) as I"m wanting to upgrade my entrance area and give it more of a wow factor. Thanks again!

Comments (17)

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

When you say more wow factor, what kind of style or look are you going for? I love your staircase but it does seem like it belongs in an area with taller ceilings.

I would keep it as is and do something with the carpet, lighting, and door frames.

rberesh73 thanked Kendrah
  • decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Removing the runner and refinishing the treads would be my preference. I see nothing wrong with the handrail or the balusters.

rberesh73 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • housegal200
    2 years ago

Your staircase is lovely, but the runner isn't. So replace the runner (or leave w/o a runner) then get a knockout entry rug, a small antique round table and beautiful chair in that curved space, and you'll have plenty of wow. Take into account what's across the way and on the staircase--art, mirrors, etc.

Here you go:

New Traditional Family Residence · More Info

rberesh73 thanked housegal200
  • rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Pics of the rest of the entrance.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I think a front door with more glass would add a lot of light to the space.

Then remove the runner.

And paint the closet doors white.

• Maureen
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I don’t think new spindles will make a very big difference, but a new runner will.

I think if you updated and brightened it up, you’d have an really impactful foyer: all doors and baseboards/trim painted white, front door and trim painted black, new lighting, rug, and reconsider replacing table and mirror. Look to create a welcoming, light space and to get inspiration search foyers on Houzz and Pinterest.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Would the consensus here be to get a new runner or just remove it?

I could swap out the doors at some point for french doors however i'm currently unable to paint the doors or trim white. The main floor and upstairs were all loaded with golden oak doors. The painter at the time said he could do white but couldn't guarantee the stain so I went with espresso instead. So I probably have about 6 doors at least on the main floor with that stain.

Replacing the front door with one that gives more light is a great idea. I won't be able to do anything soon there though but I'll defintely look into that. I would like suggestions on framing the mirror though...it needs something.

I'd like to put something in the little spot at the bottom of the staircase however the big entrance folds into a narrow hallway and the depth of the spot isn't very deep at all.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Depends on what's under the current runner. You might refinish nice wood, or in some cases the middle is cheap stuff to be covered with the runner. Lift the two up top and see what you have. If good wood, I would refinish and try it without a runner. You can always add one later if you decide you prefer it.

rberesh73 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

you can see a bit under the runner there. For some reason I thought I asked the painter if that would a be a big job to pull the runner and refinish the steps and he didn't think it would be.

• Maureen
    2 years ago

Given the baby gate, assume you have children and/or dog, so highly suggest a runner for safety.

rberesh73 thanked Maureen
  • rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ha, ya the baby gate is only temorary. I just got a golden doodle and not keen on having her have full roam of the house yet. However she's been pretty great!

• housegal200
    2 years ago

Here are some stairs with beautiful runners. If you go that route, do coordinate with floor color, furnishings and art in view of the staircase, other rugs, wall paint.

Coordinated runner in hall and on steps.

rberesh73 thanked housegal200
  • rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I really wish I could have something in that little cove but it seems even the smallest of chair/table combos are too big. Love the runners, but i'm wondering for the sake of cleaning, if it would be better to just take it off and restain the entire floor black. I'm surprised by the lack of interest in the wrought iron spindles but hey this is why I love this website and the feedback!

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Flooring upgrade won't be happening any time soon or even ever. It goes from the front of the house down the hallway and into the entire kitchen.

• Gerry
    2 years ago

I think your stairway is fine. Don’t do dark floors. My son’s floor show every fur ball from his doodle. Maybe get a bigger area rug for the foyer and a console table and mirror that has more pizzazz.

rberesh73 thanked Gerry
  • rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The dark floors definitely do show up dust etc, however if I did remove that runner it would be a lot easier to clean. I also need an area bigger area rug for the front....just not sure what sizing or coloring would look good.

Another biggie is the mirror. I"d love to get it framed to add some spark as well.