Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

anything BLUE in the garden

we dont need to be inundated with hosta on this one.. so lets say.. anything besides hosta ...

ill start with a young Abies concolor 'Candicans'.... it blew my mind when it first coned.. pun intended ...

dont forget.. not just flowers ...

ken

ps: and im not buying that kentucky blue grass is blue... but if you can prove me wrong.. go for it ... lol ..

Comments (107)

• Megan
    2 years ago

Love in a mist Miss Jekyll blue

• Megan
    2 years ago

Morning Glory Clarke’s Heavenly Blue

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    2 years ago

@oursteelers 8B PNW what are these two?

i want some for myself, ha

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

Jc, the second one is Passion and I’m sorry but I don’t have the tag for the first one :(

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    2 years ago

They are genuinely stunning.

I have some blue enchantress (black stems) that im going to try and keep blue, but its an uphill battle for me.

• mazerolm_3a
    2 years ago

@I.A. Lokin: Someone kindly saved the discussion “Why Blue” in the Perennial FAQ forum, here’s the link: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2766415/why-blue#n=1

Enjoy! :)

• Sharon Taylor
    2 years ago

I wish people named the photos. There are some I don't recognize but I'd love to have in my garden. Thanks for sharing! Anyone know that fabulous blue with a white star centre and a yellow eye?

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago

Sharon, point/call out the user name so people can find which one you want to know the name of.

• Megan
    2 years ago

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

I no longer have my own photos of these two:

Sky Pilot, seen on the trail to the top of Mt. Whitney

Anchusa azurea: really a weedy looking plant (IMO), best in a mixed background:

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    last year

anything in the garden to add here?

anyone bookmark the other similar posts.. and can easily.. bring them back up the lists??

ken

last year

I don't think these have been added :

Blue lobelia - grows in my birds&bees patch

Blue-eyed grass - growing under my dwarf apple

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last year

Ken- go to your home page and click on activity, then change the activity to ”Discssion Posts” and you will find them all.

tj

• lat62
    last year

Trying to post my sweet blue poppy (meconopsis) picture fresh this year, technological difficulties, please stand by ;)

Original Author
    last year

steph.. the idea is to post pix .. make us drool

• lat62
    last year

the photo upload works on my phone:

meconopsis grandiflora (or betonicifolia?)

New this year: Gentiana verna var. angulosa

ignore ugly deckboard, with luck my new gentian will grow to obscure it :))

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year

Balloon flowers (Platycodon)

Salvia Victoria blue

• HU-45580804
    last year

A more recent pic of my evolvulus looking more impressive.

last year

^^^^ OOh, I want some of that!

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

I think somebody above had these Veronica Sunny Border Blue. Just starting to bloom by the mailbox.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

Blue Spruce with a background of Japanese Maple. Both here when we bought the house so I’m not sure of their proper names.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    last year

Well ... someone keeps forgetting to take pictures before picking the blueberries ... so I guess this is mostly blue from the garden (what didn't get eaten) ... and some nearly blue in it ...

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    last year

@lat62, how do you manage to grow the blue poppies? They are supposed to be really difficult. What part of the country/world is this?

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year
    last modified: last year

Blue plumbago

Alaska lupine blooming everywhere in Iceland

• matthias_lang
    last year

The original "Why Blue?" thread from 1997 saved within a second thread.

1997 Why Blue discussion

• zekeafroid (Z7 - South Jersey)
    last year

Echinops Blue Glow:

Original Author
    last year

that some nice brick work zeke ... ken

• zekeafroid (Z7 - South Jersey)
    last year

Thanks Ken! Did it myself...hopefully it looks this nice next year after the winter freeze thaw :P

• lat62
    last year

getgoing, - the blue meconopsis do well in our cool, rainy summer here in Anchorage, Alaska without much tending.

• lat62
    last year

gentian trying to open on cool day

Eryngium ’blue hobbit’

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year

@mazerolm_3a interesting discussion thanks for sharing

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

Ceanothus and Audi, I think. I’m better at plants than cars.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    last year

Gorgeous @floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK (car and Ceanothus).

Original Author
    last year

man you have made a real art out of capturing blue in pix.. its 90% timing .. time of day ... and light intensity ... congrats..

ken

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last year

So many gorgeous blues. Mine have all gone into the unseen comments now but I added some new plants.

Delphinium g. Summer Clouds a day or two after planting this year.

I don't think I showed Eryngium Hellas.

Echinops Veitch's Blue was reintroduced late last fall. I redid this whole section of garden.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    last year

A Rhyncostylis coelestis hybrid.

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    last year

GG thats beautiful!

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    last year

Heres my bluest from July....

Delphiniums with Big Blue sea holly

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    last year

GH, nice delphiniums.

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    last year

Gg thank you. I have very few left. Only the ones on my dry slope... go figure.

Sadly none of these returned this year

: (

I must have had at least 30.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year
    last modified: last year

I haven't looked at this thread in awhile. Great examples of blue flowers. I have very few. Blue Hydrangeas, but no flowers this year. They fried on the plant. I love Delphinium but haven't grown them in years. So pretty! And that orchid is very different.

Peren.all - I love that Eryngium Hellas. Is that drought tolerant?

FloralUK - That Ceanothus - wow! Those don't grow here on the East coast. Nice specimen.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year

Agreed the Delphiniums blue is very true

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    last year

GH, it's a shame you lost so many delphiniums. Any chance they will come back next year? I tried growing them from seed one year. I eventually got one from the whole packet that survived and flowered. And then promptly died. It's seeds never sprouted! I need no divas in my little garden. The only divas I am willing to keep trying for are a gardenia and a lithodora. I finally have one of each going that I propagated from cuttings. Hopefully they will do better than store bought plants. The lithodora blue is my favorite

last year

prairiemoon Eryngium planum are perfect for dry conditions. They are very adaptable too, the area I have them in flooded with snow melt and they laughed it off. They are extremely attractive to pollinators and make a wonderful cut or dried flower as well. Top marks all around.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

Thanks Peren.all - I'm wondering if yours is a certain variety of Eryngium planum?

last year

Yes prairiemoon it is Eryngium planum 'Hellas'. There are a lot of great ones available so it is hard to go wrong.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

Yours is very pretty Peren.all - I just saw a photo of one called 'Big Blue' that is not a planum but is a E. zabelii - looks interesting too, but I'm going to have to look for yours... I like it with the purple in the background.

• HU-45580804
    last year

Forget-me-nots are just starting to open in my (Sydney) garden. I don’t think you can get much bluer.

• HU-45580804
    last year