Software
Houzz Logo Print
shea_cole

timber post finish colour

4 years ago

We are building a timber frame lake house. Rustic modern style with Scandinavian influence. I am having a hard time choosing a finish for the timber beams and posts. Please let me know which timber finish (clear or light teal) you prefer and why.

Considerations:

I love pale wood, but I am cognizant that wood left natural with just a clear coat will change colour over time with sun exposure. I want to minimize the yellowing and keep as much wood as possible very pale. For this reason, birch ply cabinets and pine tongue and groove ceiling will be white washed (the product is Livos Kunos white).

The Timberframer says timber posts and beams should be finished with a decking oil, even for interior timbers, as this will prevent warping better than an interior oil. He suggests Livos Alis, but that line does not have a white wash colour, so my options for the timbers are either just clear, and embrace the wood yellowing over time, or put a slight pigment on them and embrace the contrast with the other white washed wood on my interior (cabinets and ceiling)

Our interior designer suggested we use the Livos Alis in “light Teak” on the timbers as it minimizes the yellow on the white pine timbers. But it will result in more contrast. See photo.

Comments (4)