Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Troubleshoot GE Monogram: Temperature Controls

chisue
2 years ago

My 2001 42" side by side GE Monogram fridge/freezer (built in) will not adjust to manual temperature settings. My fridge is 20F. My freezer is below zero. This has been going on for a month.

The service contract tech came and left saying only, "I don't know." At the door he 'guessed' that it might help to turn off the whole appliance for 24 hours. (Really? And what if it then refuses to start cooling at all?)

Also: I've paid $2800 in service contract fees for this appliance. It took ten days to get a tech here -- to no avail. How lucky that I didn't have food spoiling in the meantime. Is there any point in continuing to pay $12 a month even IF I can solve the temperature problem? The appliance is in perfect shape and has never given us any trouble. It would be a royal pain to try to replace the custom doors...if I could find a 'fit'.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (15)

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Is the fresh food section really 20°F or does the control just "think" so? Is everything frozen in there? Place a reasonably accurate thermometer in a glass of water (to moderate the swing) for 24+ hrs (or longer) to confirm what's really happening, if you haven't already.

You didn't cite the model number of the unit. That's like calling an auto repair with a car problem and telling them "it's a white car" LOL. Presumably your refrigerator has electronic controls, which involves temperature sensors called thermistors and a computer board to read the data from them and run the cooling system accordingly. Could be a bad thermistor, bad control board, or something else. Your service tech apparently is incompetent.

• chisue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, dadoes. I have thermometers in each side of the appliance. I'll try the 'in water' method, but these have been the readings for a month. The manual controls only have 1 to 9 numbers for each side. It doesn't matter where I place those. Yes, things freeze in the fridge side, and the freezer contents are blocks of ice.

Model #ZISW42DC

Serial #HAO37083

New from Abt Appliances in 2001. One service call early on. Replaced fan motor. (Didn't help with initial noise, but that stopped on its own soon after.)

• dadoes
    2 years ago

There are two model versions of ZISW42DC ... with an A or B at the end ... but control parts are the same for both. It does not have electronic controls. Many parts are NLA (no longer available) unless a servicer still has an item on-hand.

A thermostat (thermodisk) WR50X0108for the fresh food section is NLA (not sure what it does, may be an overheat protector to turn off the interior lights in case the door is left ajar).

Temperature control WR09X0509for the freezer section is NLA. There are a few used on eBay but high $$$ (sellers presumably know it's a discontinued item).

Temperature control (air damper) WR9X513 for the fresh food section is available but also $$$.

The problem may or may not be related to these items. Did your service tech examine or test anything? Perhaps you should call a repair service other than the one via your service contract ... although keep in mind the NLA parts, so it may be a dead-end.

• Steven Eckstein
    2 years ago

I have a slightly newer version of your fridge with digital controls and separate evaporators. It is now about 14 years old and I've only had one repair around year 12 and that was to replace the inverter. Otherwise it's been flawless. My recommendation would be to contact Monogram Customer Service at 1-800-444-1845 and have them arrange for a service call. That's what I did and was very pleased with the knowledgeable tech who quickly diagnosed my problem and had the replacement inverter on his truck.

• chisue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, dadoes...I think. (Pretty discouraging, but it is what it is.)

Steven -- I appreciate your ray of hope. I'd planned to call GE's helpline, but the Monogram contact sounds even better.

I could also try Abt, where we've been loyal customers *forever*. This whole thing with the service contract (from GE, originally) is a real downer. It says they *may* replace an appliance if they can't fix it. I know I've been a dunce to keep paying it, but maybe there's some recourse.

I'll post again when I know more.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Yes, please follow-up on the situation. Be interesting to know if they'll outright replace the unit for lack of available parts (if there's none that can be subsituted), or say that the unit is no longer supported and now a dead-end product for both repair and replacement.

• chisue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, both of you! Steven -- I have an appointment with a GE tech later this week ($110). The scheduler suggested cutting power for a minute to see if it would default-set, but that didn't help. I sure appreciate your giving me the phone contact!

Once I hear what the Monogram tech has to say, I'll go back to the GE Contract people. They are entirely automated. The only *person* I even reached knew nothing and was definitely ESL -- as was the tech they sent, Mr. I Don't Know. I'll have to see if I can't find some other 'prompts'. (800-626-2005 if you want to play their game.)

• chisue
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Reporting: A GE tech was here this morning, as promised. He's ordered a new damper control ($300). It's to be installed Feb. 2. He took a photo of my GE service contract and said GE sold off the insurance biz to something called "Assurance", but I should still be covered.

dadoes -- The tech said my model doesn't have a temperature control board; that came with later models. Turns out to be good news...IF this damper replacement actually fixes the problem!

I asked the tech how much a new Monogram costs now. OMG -- $8,000 to $12,000!

Over and out...and a lot of thanks for the HELP!

• dadoes
    2 years ago

"... doesn't have a temperature control board"

Correct, it has mechanical controls, not electronic.

chisue thanked dadoes
  • chisue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Monogram Tech replaced the damper and said, "That will be $400." I showed him the same contract the first tech accepted and he said that should cover everything. HOWEVER...why do I think I'll get a lovely BILL one day soon -- after paying $2800 on the service contract at $12/mo for 20 years? At least the fridge is now working properly. I think it is. Haven't found a new thermometer yet to actually test.

Thanks again, internet friends!

• chisue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Good Lord! Here I am again!

Our kitchen floor boards started to cup again. Plumber was here yesterday to confirm it's not the new Bosch dishwasher, but it IS the fridge. There's a teeny bit of moisture under a silver box just behind the kickplate on the fridge side. He diagnosed 'slow leak, leading to damp conditions under the floor'.

ALSO...I finally got two thermometers and saw that the freezer is now right on the money at zero, but the fridge side is 50F. Monogram says a tech will be here Monday a.m. I hope he can adjust the new damper. I hope the leak can be repaired.

At least we haven't been made ill. I've thrown out milk, cream, eggs, and meat and will store new milk, cream and eggs in the garage overnight. It's 40F here, with temps going down tonight.) I have a small fan running to help dry the wood floor. I hope the boards will not have to be replaced.

• Steven Eckstein
    2 years ago

Chisue, Yes , I am still following and am glad that you now have a new unit and received a refund from the warranty company. It appears you got over 20 years of service from the original Monogram and I suppose that's not too bad. My fridge, which is now 14 or 15 years old has halogen interior lights which, so far, I have never had to replace.  One thing that I don't like and don't know if they are still using on their new units is the "never clean" cylindrical condenser. I try to clean it at least once per year and purchased small computer vacuum accessories to make it easier. However, it is difficult to reach.  Well, good luck and let's hope for another long refrigerator life.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

@chisue

Your warranty carrier both fully-refunded your paid cost and covered the cost of the replacement refrigerator? That's amazing if so, and wonderful for you!

• chisue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks to both of you for reading my 'continuing storrry'. Good to hear that your lighting system has been so durable, Steven. (I'd think hallogen would be both HOT and likely to burn out.) I don't think my new fridge has that cylindrical condenser, but 'the works' (on the top) are not as accessible as the old one, which I vacuumed every so often. I appreciate the tip about the computer vacuum as half of the top is behind a grille.

dadoes -- Yes, I received a check for every dollar I'd paid in on the warranty, and they did pay for all the attempted repairs on the old fridge -- nearly $1K all told. I believe I can thank the consumer contact at Monogram (Susan) for her advocacy. I think they were -- and should be -- embarrassed by the poor service I got initially. The warranty tech was a boob. The first tech Monogram dispatched wasn't a lot better., and the third tech to arrive said he "was no longer with us". I'm still piqued that I had to buy a new fridge for want of a $50 part, although I know it was likely not the last part to expire from age. The warranty company was probably glad not to be held responsible for the damage to our wood floors. (They have pretty much righted themselves, and I can live with the imperfection.)

Unfortunately, due to the different placement of the dispenser on the freezer door, I can't use my old cabinetry panel there. The top panel is also different -- doesn't come off, but pulls out and raises on hinges. I may be able to re-use the fridge side...I think. IDK what replacing all of this will cost -- a tricky *small job*, always hard to source.