Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimhorne70

Ideas for this?

kimhorne70
2 years ago

This is my walk in pantry area. The door to garage opens along the wall where I put the blue shelf to hang my purse. The trash and recycle bins are needed, but what can I do to make it look better?

Comments (13)

• kimhorne70
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• kimhorne70
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The rest of the room.

• Mary Elizabeth
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Very nice space! Worth your while to plan out another wall of cabinets - maybe even L-shaped - with open shoe storage in the lowers, plus upper cabinets, as well as garbage/recycle cabinets. Like you have, but designed to match your other pantry cabinets, and add some countertop. Have you seen the "tilt-out" garbage and recycle type? The pull outs would work too, if side by side and shallow.

kimhorne70 thanked Mary Elizabeth
  • kimhorne70
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you. Do you think open shelves would work above trash can area?

• Mary Elizabeth
    2 years ago

@kimhorne70, If you like open shelves, they will work. I'm too "OCD" and like cabinets better. I forgot to mention, if you do an "L" configuration of cabinets in that corner, consider wall depth for the one side. You could do any height (depending on how many shoes accumulate in your space). The 12" depth would work for most sizes. So it could be 18" high, and make a seating area, or go as high as 42" with counter. (Stock cabinets would be 18", 21", 24", etc.) Could do them with or without doors. This is just in my head, so it may be hard to follow - sorry.

kimhorne70 thanked Mary Elizabeth
  • Mary Elizabeth
    2 years ago

Picture what you do when you come home. So looking at your back door, maybe the "bench" with shoe storage should be just to the left of the door, where you can sit down. Or have a mat in front of the bench where boots or shoes come off. And then a deeper, wider cabinet in the corner? Do you need hooks to hang coats or jackets? Would that work on the wall where you have the garbage now, or is there a closet?

Sketch it out on paper to get the best "fit".

• kimhorne70
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is picture of the door that leads to garage from the outside. I have a bench with shoe storage and some coat hooks beside the door. Also the door swings in, so I'm limited regarding space along my problem wall.

• Miss TKO 2015
    2 years ago

Cute room. love the blue cabs. the wall with the little blue shelf is good and yes, not much space to put anything there, but i would move the trash. i would recommend replacing- or adding onto - the cabinets of the garage door wall, the three separate pieces look a little disjointed. looks a good space for ikea cabs if you can diy. plus it looks like the water bottles and stuff in the cubbies would be better off in tall closed storage cabs. something like this - tall cabs with lower upper combo to the left of the door. And you can put trash in those lowers

but it really is a cute room, nice space

kimhorne70 thanked Miss TKO 2015
  • mcarroll16
    2 years ago

Two ideas:

1) Replace your trash and recycle cans with a dual-compartment can, for a cleaner look. This, for example:

2) You could stop at step 1. Or you could build a simple open frame around the new can, with the top sitting high enough that the lid can open fully. Paint the frame the same color as the blue shelf unit above, and now you have an extra shelf for purses or gloves, and a more discreet trash can.

OR

1) Move the pretty gray console somewhere else in your home. Put a new tall cabinet next to your pantry cabinet and put trash and recycling bins in the lower part of the cabinet.

kimhorne70 thanked mcarroll16
  • Maureen
    2 years ago

Seems like inconvenient locations for both containers and I would reconfigure in working part of kitchen (see link below). Place purse inside the grey cabinet and large bins in garage. Cheapest solution.

https://www.littleloveliesbyallison.com/kitchen-garbage-can-storage-ideas/

If budget allows, update that wall completely (if kitchen/garage option doesn't suit). There are endless storage ideas on Pinterest.

• Mary Elizabeth
    2 years ago

@kimhorne70, it would be helpful to add a floor plan, including the garage, since you already have a bench with shoe storage there.

• kimhorne70
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I appreciate all the comments and ideas. Lots of good suggestions here. With your help, I think I have an idea of what I'm going to do. I'll update when I get it done.