Software
Houzz Logo Print
elsie321

Decor over Sofa: Why Doesn’t This Work?

4 years ago

I’m a novice at all this but am really trying to improve: please help! I thought these prints would look great over the sofa- they have a common theme, same frames, and fill the wall space well. I hung them at eye level. But I don’t like how they look here! What did I do wrong?! And what might I do above the sofa instead that would work better?


I do love the prints and would love to use them somewhere, either in a different way here or elsewhere.


Thanks in advance for your help!


PS- I know the sofa is old and needs updating and the pillows aren’t quite right either… feel free to make suggestions there too. I’m aiming for a mcm/boho/Scandinavian look eventually but know I’ve got a long way to go there.


Thanks!




Comments (23)

  • 4 years ago

    I think the prints are hung a bit too high. Try bringing the down ~4-5 inches. You could choose new throw pillows that pull from the colors in the prints.

    elsie321 thanked lynzy1
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Agree they could be a bit lower...5-6" above the sofa. Also, they don't look centered over the sofa...?

    When you say "eye level," did you mean from the floor? That can change with furniture there since the art needs to connect to it.


    elsie321 thanked chloebud
  • 4 years ago

    They're nice looking! And a good size for that space. I agree that they're a bit too high. And perhaps you centered them on the wall? They should be centered over the sofa. Is there always glare on them or just certain times of the day? If the glare bothers you, you may need canvas art instead.


    If you get new pillows, I'd look for a little larger and down- or synthetic down-filled so they've got some squish. I like to get my inserts from Amazon and pillow covers from Etsy. Some shops like this one even put together combos for you. Get inserts that are 2" larger than the cover so they're nice and full.

    elsie321 thanked stiley
  • 4 years ago

    They have to be moved over

    so put the middle one over the center of the middle couch seat and the other two on either side of the sides like you have it. Also, I would recommend non reflective glass over the artwork as you will view them without any glare and it looks so much better. I would also pick out a color of choice from one of the prints and blend it into the room. A nice throw would look good and make it a strong color, the pillows now don't seem bold enough. When I look at the artwork above, I can only see one clearly as the others are reflecting what is opposite or you can take the glass out and leave it open. Try that first.

    elsie321 thanked Yayagal
  • 4 years ago

    It's nice sized artwork. I like the spacing in between the prints. They just need to be lowered and centered over the couch, as others have said. Otherwise, size, frames and spacing is right on.

    elsie321 thanked Amy Lynn
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    -Center the pictures over the sofa.

    -The sofa is grey with blue pillows. The pictures have more warm colors: yellows, reds and oranges. add a few pillows in warmer colors to tie them together.

    -I agree with lynndowis that the pictures are a bit high, as well.

    elsie321 thanked Carrie B
  • PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Move pictures to left, or sofa to right.




    elsie321 thanked mdln
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Adjusting the height and centering it on the sofa would look better but it's the glare from the glass that bothers me. You would not have that with canvas prints.




    elsie321 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 4 years ago

    Agree with all the others who have posted. The only thing I would change is to switch the outer two pictures. The Acadia National Park one should be on the left. Almost like creating an opening to enter the painting which is the walkway being on the open edge left. It will create movement.

    elsie321 thanked Lorraine Leroux
  • 4 years ago

    I see you got all the advice you need to reposition the prints. So, I’d like to ask where you purchased the prints and frames! I love National Park prints in particular and travel prints in general, and the way you present yours is just lovely. Thanks for any info you care to share!

  • 4 years ago

    For L P - for travel prints and National Park prints/posters you might want to look at this link: https://shop.sunset.com/home-decor/vintage-posters.html

  • 4 years ago

    L P- thank you so much! I got the prints from 59Parks.net, which has so many gorgeous prints for all the national parks. They also donate 5% from sales to the National Parks Service. Highly recommend!

  • 4 years ago

    I love the framed prints. I agree with moving them to center on the sofa and lowering them. They give such nice color to your room!

  • 4 years ago

    Everyone- thank you so so much! The recommendations make so much sense and are so incredibly helpful. I’ll definitely move the prints over and down and swap out the pillows for larger, more plush ones that pull colors from the prints. And oh my goodness, good call on the glare!! I took the glass out of one of the frames just to see and it’s a night and day difference. I never would have even thought of it. Now searching for anti reflective acrylic so my five year old doesn’t destroy the prints.


    The Houzz community comes through again! Thank you thank you everyone! Adding a pic just to show the difference with and without the glarey glass.


  • 4 years ago

    @Lorraine Leroux love the suggestion to swap the order of the prints. Will do!

  • 4 years ago

    Anyplace that does framing (local frame shops, but also craft stores like Michaels) should be able to replace with anti-reflective glass or acrylic.

  • PRO
    4 years ago


    Lower them and center them to the couch.

  • 4 years ago

    I would get anti reflective glass so the prints are protected and you still avoid the glare. After you lower and center properly, it will look great!

  • 4 years ago

    @elsie321 and duvetcover: Thank you for the links to the posters! Off to find some for the National Parks we’ve visited so far!

  • 4 years ago

    I've used Frame Destination for framing supplies including non-reflective acrylic and been happy with them.

  • 4 years ago

    I think your pillow sizes are fine and you just need new pillow covers to pull in the picture colours.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Easy updates for boho and should do the trick to get the look you want, once pictures are adjusted.