Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

VARIEGATION in the garden

both flowers and/or leaves ...

in my garden.. it was an anything but green garden ... and plants with variegation were the bees knees .. whatever that means .. lol ...

but variegated flowers were a wonder to behold ...

ken

Comments (24)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

dont forget shrubs .. a variegated lilac ... most leaf variegated plants are weaker.. less vigorous than the all green plant.. presumably for reduced chlorophyll ... ken

Syringa vulgaris ‘Dappled Dawn’

Original Author
    2 years ago

and i meant.. splashed.. mottled... etc.. not just edged or centered.. but make yourself happy with whatever you post ...

iris batik .. i wanted to collect all the color variations.. but never did... my local pusher didnt have them ...

Viburnum lantana 'Variegatum' .. this is interesting.. because the intensity of the color is dependent on how much sun the plant gets ... the second pic is the plant in more sun ... but apparently it wasnt a good day for the pix to show the diff ...

and this is not one of the Vs with a pleasant aroma.. in fact.. it downright stinks in bloom ...

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    2 years ago

Somebody please refresh my memory, can’t remember the name of this plant with my daylily. With plenty of water it grows in a mostly sunny spot.

Green Spice heuchera

Sherry

• hugogurll
    2 years ago

Hi Sherry,

That's the variegated form of Persicaria virginiana called 'Painter's Palette'. Can be weedy but beautiful foliage.

• HighDesert Z 7a
    2 years ago

Little grocery store mini rose. Spider mites got it. :/

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 years ago

Variegated Solomon’s Seal in fall.

tj

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    2 years ago

Thanks hugogurll! Painters Palette I can usually recall, Persicaria is never on the tip of my tongue ; )

Sherry

Original Author
    2 years ago

Persicaria is never on the tip of my tongue ; )

===>>> i sure hope not.. it might be poisonous ...

variegated norway maple ...

Acer platanoides 'Drummondii'

with eye-rye

Original Author
    2 years ago

and to stay in the extended weird cousin maple family.. how about a variegated sycamore

Acer pseudoplatanus 'Eskimo Sunset' ..

i seem to recall ron.. embo.. saying its more correct as Esk sunset ....

where has he been?

and whats really cool about it.. the back of the leaves are red ... you can note such on a couple of the leaves ...

Original Author
    2 years ago

found a couple more esk

and this is a tree that stays rather small.. since it has 50% less chlorophyll to convert sun into energy ... in other words.. a restricted annual growth rate for a maple ... which are otherwise rather reach for the sun growers .... in my MI anyway ...

• north53 Z2b MB
    2 years ago

I have broken all design rules with this container which I’m only noticing now! All the plants in it are variegated! Even the calla has speckled leaves.

This is Heliopsis Lorraine Sunshine, behind the rock.

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 years ago

@north53 Z2b MB Well i like the planter, design rules followed or not. It's dark and moody and I love that.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

@north53 Z2b MB I also really like the planter!

Original Author
    2 years ago

ya know.... if someone tells me there is a rule for what goes in the pot.. one thing for sure in my world.. warped as it may be ... that is going to be the first rule broken.. and damn the torpedoes ...

crikey.. if it pleases you .. if for no other reason than to use up some plants you bought.. good enough for me ..

im surprised we didnt get all kinds of pot picture in the geegaws post ... i guess the title missed the mark???

i seem to recall.. or i dreamed it.. when i had a national tour ... the things that generated the most comments .. and btw.. to the positive... were the weirdo things in my garden .. after a week of bus touring.. they had seen all the rules done to perfection ... but what caught their eye by that time was all the cool ideas .. e.g. i would have never thought of that ... its great ...

ken

ps: like ive been wondering what to do with that bowling ball in my garage.. i never thought of just rolling it into the garden ... lol ...

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    2 years ago

So many beautiful plants 😍

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    2 years ago

Ken simply outstanding specimens! So many beauties here everyone!

Iris domestica formerly Belamcanda

Physotegia 'Variegata'

Lamiastrum Herman's Pride is a very well behaved plant unlike its cousin L. galeobdolon.

Iris pallida 'Variegata'. I really need to get better pics. The flowers smell like grape Kool-Aid or bubblegum.

Artemisia 'Limelight'. What a thug, just a horror.

Polygonatum - Solomon's Seal

2 years ago

Epimedium 'Sulphureum'

Athyrium -Painted fern

Lamium 'Chequers'

Lamium 'White Nancy' coming up in spring.

Geranium 'Splish Splash'

Heuchera 'Miracle'

Heuchera 'Venus'

Phlox 'Fancy Feelins'

• ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada Any Solomon's Seal is a thug here! Not sure about Artemisa, because no one grows it and I have never seen it in nurseries in any form...had to order mine Storm Cloud on-line.

2 years ago

Filipendula u. 'Variegata'

Filipendula 'Red Umbrellas'

Miscanthus 'Strictus'

Persicaria 'Painter's Palette'

Molinia c. 'Variegata'

Phlox 'Mystic Green'

Centaure dealbata seedling. Was digging out this area and tossed it. Interesting but it would have most likely come up plain green in spring.

2 years ago

ann beck 8a ruralish WA given your climate many plants that are well behaved for us in cold zones are problematic or considered invasive in yours. Having said that I do have SS in one spot where it is going to need controlling.