Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peakdog

Help with exterior paint colors

PeakDog
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello Houzz community!

I have received such great ideas and support from this community that I thought I would throw this out there to see what comes of it!

This is our mountain home and it is in need of a paint that will better compliment the new stone, deck and deck posts that we added.

Some details:

- This is cedar siding currently painted SW Cassidy Green which I don't see on their website anymore

- I have no idea what the trim, garage and front door colors are. I will be getting new garage doors and a front door...I welcome your suggestions on those items as well!

- All pictures include a white board in them as a reference

- The exterior beams are stained Hawthorne, the T&G is Provincial

- The deck is Trex deck Havana Gold

- Deck rails are Bronze as are the window casings

I will restate that this is a mountain home so not wanting to paint it like it is in the suburbs! I want nature inspired tones that are rich and earthy.

Thanks for taking a peek at my post! I look forward to your thoughts!

Comments (21)

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I think the base color is good.
    Paint the trim dark and new garage doors. And see how you like it. I think it’ll be enough.

(Unless you have to repaint the body?)
    Lovely home 💖

• PRO
    PeakDog
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@HU-187528210

Thank you for your feedback. I do get many compliments on the color of the house I just worry there is too much green in it next to the stone...I agree that new garage doors and trim will go A LONG WAY! Perhaps they are what is throwing me off the most!

• Cathy
    2 years ago

Perhaps paint the trim and garage doors an light earthy tan?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO the stone was a huge mistake and does nothing for the house it adds a huge rustic element to an otherwise elegant modern home. I need to see what you are doing for garage doors please . BTW it really does not matter where the house is but it does matter what the house is IMHO.

• PRO
    PeakDog
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well that just took the steam out of ne

• la_la Girl
    2 years ago

What a gorgeous spot! I agree that doing the trim and garage doors may get you there - I would start there and see what you think, changing the garage doors will make a huge difference I think -enjoy your new getaway! 🤩

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

There’s these

• Stacey
    2 years ago

Hi Jeri! We live in the mountains too! So wonderful and beautiful. I love the stone, we have something similar. Right now our house is shades of tan with cream trim. I love gold and want to bring out the colors of the stone. I am looking at SW Mannered gold , restrained gold and Carriage door as accent . Not sure if that’s your style.

• PRO
    PeakDog
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Kathy Furt

Hey Kathy! Noted! I'll take a peek at those. I won't do white trim though, just seems too "suburban" for this house! Your pictures cracked me up! Some family photos thrown into the mix!!!

• chloebud
    2 years ago

I really like the suggestions from Beth. Great house!

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

Ok Jeri these are better

• PRO
    PeakDog
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H

Thanks for all the suggestions, Beth. Great stuff. Any thoughts on front door and garage door style ?

• loobab
    2 years ago

Hi-

The very blue-green of your house just doesn't go with the warm stone colors.

Beth H's ideas are geat as always.

I found this website which shows some lovely green-painted houses (in case you still want to try green in another incarnation) with white trim that looks marvelous with your stone.

https://gambrick.com/green-house-color-schemes/

There are more on the internet too, I'll just show the ones on this site.

• loobab
    2 years ago

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

Beth H.’s colors are perfect, as is her door style in wood with that around iron door knob! A deep olive green taupe color would be beautiful too. Get garage doors in wood to match the front doors.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

diff front door is a must, not only the color. you need something w/glass. Wood would work, so would paint.

here are some photoshops

I actually like this type of door, in a soft black paired w/soft whites, grays and tans (your stone colors. ) The black is a nice contrast to them.

a craftsman style wood door w/glass, also works

a taupe gray paint color, on a door w/glass/muntins

perfect door style and color

looks good surrounded w/a creamier white siding and new lights. don't forget the iron hardware/windows

some other colors w/your garage doors.

similar style house (diff colors) but you see how well this type of door works.

a door w/glass/carriage hardware(my pic above) and a faux wood would look better than the generic one you have.

if you want to try and paint yours and add iron carriage hardware (amazon) go ahead and try that first. paint it one of the darker trim bronze colors.

I don't care for this door, but I'm showing you how the bronze-darker warm gray colors would look.

This is SW Gauntlet Gray and Pure White. faux wood garage door

iron hardware, wood arbor. above the door is a board and batten siding. you can mix/match

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago

The green siding - interesting color. In some pics it has a softer grayer effect that looks really quite nice with the stone. In combination with the yellow and brown wood though is where the contrast makes it very teal.

Could be it's the evergreen trim and doors that pushes it into over the top, too-green territory.... definitely would be worth exploring some alternatives for that as an affordable option to repainting the entire house.

If you cant find any Cassidy Green chips, try to find something that comes close or if you have leftover paint, paint out your own samples. This just helps with your initial look through a fan deck to see what colors look like next to each other - youd still want to do the painting out of larger 4 x 4 ft. samples once you narrow down to a few colors.

Not sure what your squares of WHITE are supposed to be.... since youve stated that you are looking for something "earthier" and "not white"?

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

And more with Gauntlet Grey

• PRO
    PeakDog
    Original Author
    2 years ago

FYI, the white board in my pictures is just to help provide a reference, some paint people use a white piece of paper or such to help determine color... I am not considering it as an option!

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

So Beth and I are both on board with the gauntlet Grey!!