Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tori_sharpe

Purple patch in yard. What do I do with it?

Victoria Myrice
2 years ago

Hello all!I am brand new to the group. My husband and I have just recently purchased our first home and I'm trying to figure out what to do with our yard this spring! My Nana says to let your yard show you what it's got the first year after moving in. I sent her pics of a very large purple spot in our front yard (there are 3 of them). We think it is Ajuga or Bugleweed. I am aware that this is a nuisance/weed for most people, but I've read that it's a great pollinator, and the flowers they grow when left alone are actually pretty. I'm thinking about building a bird bath in the middle of the patch and letting it bloom in the spring and just cutting the grass around it. Has anyone left this alone in their yard, did it look nice, any benefits, advice, anything? Lol. Thanks in advance!!

Comments (4)

• Victoria Myrice
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

"I am aware that this is a nuisance/weed for most people,"

Actually, it is a common and very popular groundcover and is many times planted very intentionally. Like any good groundcover, it spreads........that's what it is supposed to do :-) However, I'd avoid planting close to a lawn as it will continue to creep and is difficult to remove once established in a lawn.

I don't find the purple or chocolate colored forms bloom as heavily as those with the green leaves and the bloom season is not all that long anyway.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

i suspect a tree was removed.. and this was either growing around it.. or was throw in the bare spot as an easy fix ...

nana is wise ... listen to her ..

but by mid summer... you should have a good handle on whats going on ... and you might want to start building garden beds for fall or spring planting ...

most important in what when said.. was that you will find out if you have any bulbs that will flower in later spring .. which you can see now ...

there is a very active NAME THAT PLANT FORUM ....

and you can get a lot of ideas and help in the shrub.. and perennial forums when you want to start planning ...

start a new post .. or 10 ... include big city location.. and pix of the front of the house.. if you want to generate some ideas ... though nana suggests you wait and see.. planning never hurts ...

and my best lesson from buying my first house ... just get rid of all the prior owners mistakes.. asap ... dont fall for this.. i gotta live with a nightmare.. because its part of the history of the house ... i wasted 5 years dealing with such.. do what i say.. not what i did ....

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

What do I do with it?

===>>

actually didnt answer your title question ...

that is a couple hundred dollars of stock plants ... i would leave it alone until you decide your eventual plan ... and if you might have a future use for it ...

this stuff is famous for growing where other plants wont .. like under maple trees ...

perhaps you will have a use for it in some backyard space where nothing else will grow ..

as to mowing.. just raise the lawnmower and mow right over it ... perhaps not mowing when its in bloom ... you can walk on it.. mow over it.. you arent going to kill it ..

but if you decide you have no use for it.. get rid of it.. its real weird in the middle of the lawn ...

someone needs to decide if they are going to be a lawn warrior ... i wouldnt go as far as trying to put weed and feed on it ... but it would thrive a bit better with a little more water ... and a well tended lawn.. would be cut higher.. and that would be better than scalping the plant you might want repeatedly ..

ken

Sponsored
More Discussions