Software
Houzz Logo Print
diane_bolin10

What do I do with the short wall above my basement stairwell?

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have a partial wall above my basement stairwell. I just repainted, so I have the chance to make a fresh start, but I'm not sure what will make the area come together. Do I leave the partial wall blank and focus on the wall behind the staircase? Try to coordinate decor on both walls? (The table/chair/clock were part of my old decor, and do not have to stay). The room is an extension of my kitchen and is difficult to decorate since it is basically two traffic paths (one to the upstairs and one to the basement) with a thin strip of usable space in between.




Comments (23)

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I had already saved this fabric with the classic look - is this yours, do you think? -- Kantha Smoke is a pretty blue and neutral grey geometric and ikat printed fabric.


    Kantha Smoke Covington Fabric, By The Continuous Yard · More Info


  • 4 years ago

    Idk which wall [s] you're considering.

  • 4 years ago

    Yes! The fabric is very similar. Mine is gray and gold, but I love the blue!

  • 4 years ago

    Everdebz, The staircase….Especially the wall above the basement stairs is my main decorating dilemma.

  • 4 years ago

    Ptreckel… Love these ideas! Thank you!!

  • 4 years ago

    Is your room mostly empty so far? Houzzers might have help for that, the main area.

  • 4 years ago

    What happens in this area; just traffic or some activity? How would you like to use it? Is there room for you to set up a keeping room as a kitchen sitting area?


    Gladstone Kitchen & Keeping Room Remodel · More Info


  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I think updating the stairs and doing either a wood trim over those bulk areas, or painting a diff color, would make all the diff.

    let me show you


    redo your spindles, paint white, paint the wall a deep charcoa (BM WRought Iron) and replace those old lights. bring in some decor like they show above w/a rug, chair and move your desk.


    I wouldn't put molding on this part on the left. just a diff paint color that matches the white if you do the trim, below:


    similar one here but with ship lap. art should go on the recessed part back by the door






    This one is more of a vertical paneling in a bright white


    want something a bit more updated? try a slat wall by the stairs (you'd prob have to redo that lower portion




    here's one showing board and batten wall trim


  • 4 years ago

    I would not emphasize or accent that portion of wall in any way. Treat it like a big soffit -- just draw the eye to nicer parts of the room. I like the art on the stair wall, or you could do either side wall, depending on how the room is used/furnished...

  • 4 years ago

    I like Beth's focal slat design, but we haven't heard why this area is first in your houzz posts. :)

  • 4 years ago

    Beth, I absolutely love all of your ideas. Especially the first photo…the dark gray wall in back and the white in front totally transforms the look. If I can get my husband to agree, we will be painting soon.
    Thank you to Beth and everyone who suggested to draw attention away from the wall above the basement staircase and I am moving the table out tomorrow and probably going with just a chair and accent piece there.
    Decoenthusiaste, I would love the keeping room idea…I will keep that in mind!
    Thanks to everyone for your ideas! I will spend the rest of the week dreaming up how to make them a reality!

  • 4 years ago

    Everdebz… I apologize if I’ve posted this in the wrong spot. Yes, the room is mostly empty. It was a dining room until we remodeled about 10 years ago and gained space to make a larger dining area. Now it is just an open area connected to the kitchen. I keep trying to make it useful and beautiful since it is a portion of the house that all guests see, but it is very hard to position furniture in the room. After reading the posts, my thought is to place our piano on the wall to the left and keep the center and right side more open for traffic. I will reposition the table to another spot and keep the chair (or shine other chair) in front of the stairs. I’m going to make the back side of the staircase the feature wall and keep dreaming about what gray and white paint could do.

  • 4 years ago

    Lady canvas art might go well with gold/grey chair?

    Alphonse Marie Mucha 'The Precious Stones: Topaz, 1900' Canvas Art · More Info


  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    "thin strip of usable space" I assume is where desk and chair are. Possibly a colorful bench? and would mostly cover some stair railings.


    GDF Studio Evvy Fabric Storage Ottoman, Teal · More Info


  • 4 years ago

    Go with the charcoal walls!!

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I was intrigued by the stepped wall on the far side of the stairs, tried painting it different shades of gray to emphasize the different planes. Then one thing led to another, inspired by your unique and carefully curated chair/table/frames. Could a pair of comfortable chairs sit in the "thin strip of usable space" in the center of the room, with traffic flowing on either side of them? Nice place for coffee and chat, perhaps? (Just a note: if I were to re-do this editing, I would set the existing chair flat against the wall rather than angled.)




  • 4 years ago

    Enclose the space and have a small wine room or cellar built there. It will add value to your home and is very practical and centrally located. Think out of the box!

  • 4 years ago

    I would suggest for a pop, change up the color of the stairs = for some reference points, check out the 10 Awesome Design ideas 2022 Houzz Awards dated January 26, 2022. Slide #10 specifically. Enjoy the design journey!

  • 4 years ago

    Whatever else you do, I would put a gate in front of the stairwell to the basement. But I'm a bit paranoid -- and accident prone.

  • 4 years ago

    Wow, simplynatural…that is amazing!!! Thank you!

  • 4 years ago

    Wow - those are the best suggestions I have ever seen here! 👍

  • 4 years ago

    I would put a door on the entry to the basement and remove the rail. Safer and much better looking.