Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rob_rob71

paint color assistance

Rob Rob
2 years ago

Dear fellow Pros/Enthusiasts,

I am working on a project on refreshing a basement and need a helping hand in choosing a paint color . The room is open concept 450 sqft , low ceilings of about 67 inches height . The tiles will stay the same (pinkish/beige) but want to lighten the room. The current paint color is Behr - Sandstorm which seems to work on the color wheel. Although it works, it gives of to much of a traditional , “older” look. Any ideas which wall and trim colors would freshen up the room? Some pictures below.
Basement faces North and West but small windows and generally stays more dark.
If we go with the paint color recommended , any choices for furniture etc. We would like to keep it functional, and as a family room.

Thank you !

Comments (13)

• la_la Girl
    2 years ago

Agree lighting is key - we put in smart bulbs so we can change color, dimness from an app, so you can warm up color if you need to -

if you want, you can fake bigger windows with blinds and curtain panels - it actually makes the room not feel below grade

we divided ours in lounge/tv side and then had a game table on the other just like @jewelisfabulous said

• Rob Rob
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much for your input! As you can see by the pictures we have added additional lighting and plan to create a living room/ workspace by the closet and keep the other side as playroom/exercise area. We are thinking of going with walnut colored shelving, black hardware, and perhaps a grey colored couch so it can withstand wear and tear. What paint colors would you suggest? We want it to feel warm and inviting as we are also redoing the adjoins bathroom with white herringbone tile and black hexagon tiles on the floor with brass colored fixtures. We would like the feel of the rest of the room to be in line with that aesthetic.

• Rob Rob
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I realized I did not add the bathroom inspiration, thanks again for sharing your thoughts with me.

• fnmroberts
    2 years ago

As others have already commented, lighting is important in any basememt. And the

type of lighting (led, fluorescent, etc) influences color selection, Lots of lights on dimmers is ideal.

Below is a video of ours - lots of cannusters, pendants and sconces. Colors have been used to define various spaces within a great room concept.

https://youtu.be/sEXh0aW7GiU

• Rob Rob
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi sorry I missed it on the last pictures ,we have 9 recessed lights in the ceiling. We set half with 2700k in the front and 4000k on the side of the laundry . Thanks for your input.

• Rob Rob
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Fnroberts, I loved the bar area especially , and the fire place ! Thank you for sharing your basement with us.

• jewelisfabulous
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thanks for the updated photo showing the lighting. Good job, there. As far as color, be careful going with grey anything given that your floor is beige; it'll clash badly. If you know the current paint color, consider repainting at 25% strength of it.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    2 years ago

If you want warm and inviting and bright, don’t pick gray. And double that if your floor is beige. And triple that since it’s a basement with minimal natural light.

• fnmroberts
    2 years ago

@Rob Rob - not sure if you’re planning additional features but you commented on some of ours. Here are a few stills if they can help.

Wet bar and full kitchen - downdraft cooktop with grill/griddle/all burner options. Upward opening upper cabinet, pull-out shelving and full refrigerator plus approximately 10’x 4’ bar in 100 sq. ft.

Electric fireplace, 220 volt. Has 3-level heat that functions independent of the fire illusion.

• la_la Girl
    2 years ago

we used Sherwin Wiiliams honied white for our walls - reads crisp but warm (i also wanted low contrast with our white ceilings since they are not high) our couches are a dark grey/ navy and we have hits of black throughout to modernize- i would paint swatches on poster board and have a white background, the context/ background has to be clean to see the real color -

• Rob Rob
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi everyone,

I would like to report back to which color we used for the basement. Thank you all for your input and support everyone was extremely helpful during this process.
    We went with SW Gossemer Veil. Here is a screen grab of the walls. I hope this post can help future members with similar questions.

• la_la Girl
    2 years ago

that looks great!