Software
Houzz Logo Print
sabjigarden

Raleigh Spring swap 2022 special side trades

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello John, Any plans for the spring swap yet ? I am so looking forward to it.

We can still follow the mask rules if Omicron and its siblings are still raging wild.

Comments (163)

  • 4 years ago

    Sandlapper, thanks, I'm not able to use the other seeds you listed so will pass on those. And I'm lucky that our native Clitoria mariana grows wild for me, so you should save your germinating blue butterfly pea seeds for someone else or for yourself. Fortunately I have plenty of Agapanthus seedlings so can set a pot aside for you, but I will also be bringing some for the general swap along with other things that will hopefully be of interest.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Jessica, I'd like a San Marzano tomato, Italian pepper and seed for the birdhouse gourd. What can I bring you?

  • 4 years ago

    Hey Karen,

    If I am the one getting some of the California poppy seeds, I will share it with you. I am always looking for something i can handle without fuss. If you can, i would like some Clitoria mariana, blue butterfly pea seeds or plants.

  • 4 years ago

    Sabji, if there are enough California poppy seeds in your packet I wouldn’t say no, but I’m not the one with blue butterfly pea seed and I won’t be digging up any of my native Clitoria mariana for the swap so I can’t bring you those.

    Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC thanked karen__w z7 NC
  • 4 years ago

    Screenwriter, I’d love to trade them for hardy ginger, lamb’s ears, and camellia, assuming you’ve still got stock of those!

  • 4 years ago

    Jessica, I will have to look for amaranth. I do have fenugreek and Pawpaw seeds. I can bring more Gardenia cuttings for the plants and will add a (butterfly ginger) ginger lily plant potted. Is that good?

  • 4 years ago

    sandlapper_rose, If you have any blue butterfly pea seeds left I would love to have some, I can get you a sedum.

  • 4 years ago

    Sabji, sounds good to me!

    Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC thanked JJLM garden 7b
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Jessica, if you still have any bonfire peach, I would like to get it. I can give you a potted plant of either red raspberry , black berry, or chocolate vine. Or Helianthus Augustifolia potted ( several plants in one pot). If you like seeds I have Bottle gourd, some decorative pumpkin seeds too (saved from Halloween).

  • 4 years ago

    Sabji, yes please! Bonfire peach for chocolate vine!

    Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC thanked JJLM garden 7b
  • 4 years ago

    Jessica. Thanks I will keep it In your pile .

  • 4 years ago

    Saturday morning at 10 the JCRA arboretum is having their annual April Blooms festival. I suggest you google it if interested but there will be lots of plants for sale, food trucks, seminars, etc. Then after our swap you can go by Plant Delights open house to make it a full day of plant related activities.

    Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC thanked Ralph Whisnant
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Chocolate vine is extremely invasive. It destroyed my friend's azalea garden in VA as it climbed all over his azaleas, rooted wherever it touched, and he could not get rid of it.

  • 4 years ago

    That's because all vines want to take over the world... Unless winter kills it

    Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC thanked Jaimie
  • 4 years ago

    Hey Jaime, You are coming rt. ?


  • 4 years ago

    Yep and my Mom again :)


    I've been stalking this list since it came out, I just haven't posted because nothing really stood out to me yet... Things have been super busy lately so just focusing on a select few oddities this year that strike my eye :)

    Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC thanked Jaimie
  • 4 years ago

    Here is trade list.

    Elsie Barron is bringing
    1. Pink brugs Cuttings
    2. yellow iris plans
    3. Corkscrew willow plant
    4. Yellow brugs cuttings
    For my
    1. Agaves 2
    2. Peppermint 2 potted
    3. Ice plant aptenia cordifolia potted
    4. Chocolate vine potted

    Casa lestor. Giving me arum italicum for my lotus seeds


    John is bringing me Sansevieria and Lochorma cuttings

    Sandlapper_ rose is bringing me
    1.Cilantro seeds
    2.California poppy seeds
    3. Butterfly pea?
    for my
    1. sedum
    2. Moon flower seeds
    3. Lemon balm plants and seeds


    JJLM garden aka Jessica brings
    1. Aloe plant
    2. Bonfire peach plant
    3. Pepperochini plants
    4. Trombocino seeds
    5. White beige pumpkin seeds
    6. Rozelle seeds
    7. Gardenia cuttings
    Take for her
    1. Fenugreek seeds
    2. Pawpaw seeds
    3. Amaranth (check)
    4. Ginger lily butterfly ginger potted
    5. Chocolate vine potted
    6. May-pop potted

    Sreeni
    From him
    1. Bathua
    2. Hydrangea
    3. Bee balm
    4. Ire sine
    For him
    1. Bottle gourd seeds
    2. Bitter squash
    3. Ponna ganni plants


    Am I forgetting anything for anyone? Let me know

    I still have potted Swamp sunflower, Jerusalem artichoke, and raspberry .

  • 4 years ago

    Elsie my fruit salad brug leaves are so different from any of the other brugs leaves. They are smaller and more petite . I have a few that I propagated and they just look different. The blooms are beautiful tho.

    Do you have any names for your pink brugs ? Are they single ? I'm looking for Maya , Creme Brulee and Cozy Lebeau.

    I have bird house gourd plants, Roma and San Marzano tomatoes and Amish paste and Abe Lincoln tomatoes. I'll look to see what else is there. Sandlapper I have a forsythia if you'd like it.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    John for him ??:

    John for me (not confirmed):

    Lochorma

    Elsie – for her

    Pink velvet banana

    Lamb’s ears

    Short sedum

    Crocosmia

    Clematis ‘My angel’

    Purple shamrock

    Elsie for me:

    Asiatic lilies

    Corkscrew willow

    Amsonia

    Lilac ‘Miss Kim’

    Dutch iris

    Diamantina clematis

    Canna ‘Begal Tiger’

    Mace-in-space – for him

    Bird of Paradise

    Yucca ‘Color Guard’

    Mace-in-space for Me (not confirmed):

    Orchids

    Carnivorous plants

    Sandlapper rose – for her

    White butterfly ginger

    Sedum

    ‘Autumn Joy’

    Karen Hause for her ???

    Karen for me:

    Brugmansia ‘Fruit Salad’

    Brenda – for her

    Daphne

    Camellia

    Phacelia sericea

    Brenda for me:

    Black snakeroot

    Tiarella

    Clerodendron bungee

    Ralph – for him

    His celosia plants

    Celosia 'Pampas Plume'

    Coleus to check out

    Hosta

    Ralph for me:

    Purple verbena

    Salvia ‘Roman Red’

    Jessica --- JJJ for her:

    Hardy ginger

    Lamb’s ears

    Camellia

    Jessica for me:

    Sana Marzano tomato

    Italian pepper

    Seed for Birdhouse gourd


    Am I missing anyone?

  • 4 years ago

    CasaLester do you have any unusual rock garden plants?


  • 4 years ago

    Karen_w anymore blue agapanthus seedlings?


  • 4 years ago

    Anyone with any unusual hardy rock garden plants like yucca, agave etc?


  • 4 years ago

    I have some small red star hisbisus seedlings if anyone wants one. I am looking for hardy rock garden plants, variegated ginger, paper plant, variegated elephant ear, mojitio, black elephant ears.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Thinkingofplants, I’d love to swap Agapanthus seedlings for red star hibiscus seedlings.

  • 4 years ago

    Sabji, I'll bring the blue butterfly pea seeds for you. When I looked yesterday they had not sprouted yet, but I think they will. They are showing signs of it. I will enjoy the sedum, but please allow someone else to have the lemon balm and moonflower. I won't be able to use those.

    Karen, yes, I would love the forsythia. I tried to root some cuttings but it was in cooler weather and I didn't have luck with them.

    I'll look over the list some more and provide a :To" and "From" later today by looking farther back in the list.

  • 4 years ago

    Screenwriter :

    Asiatic lilies

    corkscrew willow

    Amsonia [blue star]

    Dutch iris [purple + yellow]

    clematis diamantina

    Bengal canna

    Lilac [miss Kim]


    Sabji;

    3 pink Brugmansia plants [not cuttings]

    2 yellow Brugmansia plants [not cuttings]

    1 corkscrew willow


    Sandlapper-Rose

    Canna bengal and kirra japonica


    Brenda:

    Brugmansia [yellow+ pink]

    corkscrew willow


    Do I have your swap right ??? See ya very soon !

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Elsie , You forgot the the yellow Iris for the chocolate vine. Please do bring for me! See my exchange list!

  • 4 years ago

    Here is what was offered to me:

    Karen - forsythia

    Screenwriter - white butterfly ginger, sedum 'Autumn Joy'

    Karen - agapathus seedlings

    elsie - kerria japonica, Canna 'Bengal Tiger'

    sabji - sedum


    I'm bringing this for

    sabji - cilantro, California Poppy, blue butterfly pea seeds


    I will bring along some extra seeds just in case someone would like them and

    will bring food/snacks for the group. Let's hope the rain doesn't amount to much.

    I'll plan ahead for the fall swap and bring more plants to share then!


    Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC thanked sandlapper_rose
  • 4 years ago

    Hey John, Les, as we are outside, any rules on Masking, or is it to each his own?

  • 4 years ago

    Sabji , I have your yellow iris ready. Just forgot to list it.Tomorrow !!!!


    Anyone else like to have a yellow reblooming iris. How about a

    banana tree ? I have 5 of those potted up.

  • 4 years ago

    Elsie I'd like a banana tree please. And reblooming iris.

  • 4 years ago

    Elsie I don't know what to bring you for the banana tree and iris. Would you like some iris reticulata? They're small and spread easily. They are light purple. Or obedient plant ? Or a snake plant ? Or a combination ?

  • 4 years ago

    Karen,I see you have a lot of different tomatoe plants.I will be very happy

    with a couple of them.I will bring you a couple of banana plants and the

    yellow iris. See you tomorrow !!!

  • 4 years ago

    Verifying: 1pm at Holly shelter tomorrow?

    Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC thanked JJLM garden 7b
  • 4 years ago

    Sabji, everything is correct on your list except that im not bringing you gardenia cuttings (other way around)

    Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC thanked JJLM garden 7b
  • 4 years ago

    I repotted a begonia today and have 2 containers with offshoots that should grow just fine and will bring them. I think they are a type of rex begonia. I typically have them indoors but they have been outdoors for the summer and make it okay outside where there is a good bit of shade. Long lasting plants - I've probably had these for 5 years or more. I'm also bringing a small african violet. I think it's a teacup size since the leaves never seem to get very tall. It was in bloom when I got it and I believe the flowers are pink and white. Multiples came up in the pot it was in and it was getting too crowded so this one has been repotted for a few months now. Just look for me tomorrow if anyone wants these. I might not get to check the board before I leave tomorrow.

    Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC thanked sandlapper_rose
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Jessica Oops Sorry. I am bringing the cuttings

  • 4 years ago

    Sabji et al., while COVID appears to be less deadly than in the earlier stages of the pandemic, there are still lots of cases: 130 cases is the weekly average for this Friday in Durham County. At the previous swaps last year we had 106 on Sept 11 and 39 on May 1, 2021. So caution is still justified, at least some reasonable distancing.

    Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC thanked CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Elsie, I still have your Pink Velvet banana. It was so heavy, I left it in the car and forgot to have someone take it out for you. Do you want me to bring it to you? Val

  • 4 years ago

    Val,I have not missed it.You gave me a lot of nice plants. If you have one at another swap we will talk about it then.I have not unpacked mine yet.Thanks for letting me know !! Injoy the summer !!!

    Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC thanked elsie narron
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    John, Thank for another wonderful, Successful and full of goodies, Swap.

    Thank you Pam for taking care of me when I had a boo boo. The lemonade worked wonders. I am doing well. Thanks to the group for filling the tables for the general swap.

    Les, I could not sit down to have food, but i did get to taste your rosemary bread. Yum as always.

    I missed a lot of our regulars. Hope we meet in the fall swap.

    Thank you again for a wonderful swap.

  • 4 years ago

    Had a wonderful time today! ive told some friends about it who are eager to join in the fall! Thank you, everybody!


    screenwriter, ive gotten the lambs ears and ginger in the ground already but i could not locate the camellia (and did not see it among my things before leaving). i meant to ask before you left but got distracted with fun conversation. Perhaps i could get it at the next swap?

  • 4 years ago

    Val,I have my banana plant from you.There are 2 in a black pot..Thanks !!

  • 4 years ago

    Thanks to everyone who shared a wonderful day with me yesterday.


    Karen H, A special thank you for all the tomatoe plants.I will think

    about you when I am eating those devine BLT.

    Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC thanked elsie narron
  • 4 years ago

    What a great day! Thank you to John and everybody who made it so.

    Does anybody know who brought all those glorious irises? I picked up several and am excited to have them in my garden.

    And a question for Val (Screenwriter). Where do you get your mums? I recognize some from the Kings Mums online site, but I'm always too late/disorganized/generally slack to get an order in there before they sell out.

    Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC thanked karen__w z7 NC
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Karen, the mums are from my garden; it is an early bloomer called 'Red Carousel.' The Mum Society just had a sale of special mums at Campbell Nursery. We (Mum Society) are having the National Convention in Raleigh this year too. Mums are bizarre this year; those in gallon pots were growing until that 20 degree morning, and most of them just died.


    JJ I will bring you a camellia in the fall.


    Thanks everyone for all the special treasures I will add to my garden. Thanks, John, for all of your efforts.

    Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC thanked Screenwriter
  • 4 years ago

    Val, I picked up one labeled 'Jefferson Park' that I figured was from you. Will have to look for 'Red Carousel' next time. Do you know of a source for 'Kermit'?

  • 4 years ago

    Thank you to everyone! I had a wonderful time and look forward to seeing you again.

    Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC thanked sandlapper_rose
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Karen, I don't know where you can buy 'Kermit' other than from Kings or members of the Mum society. Boy, 'Jefferson Park' is just gorgeous. I do not have that cultivar.

  • 4 years ago

    Karen i got 'red carousel' and will happily share. Jefferson park probably came from Layla- i know she grows it in her garden and we sell it for the community garden.

Sponsored