Software
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

Spring 2022 Raleigh Plant Swa

4 years ago

The 2022 Raleigh Spring Swap will be held Saturday, April 30 at White Deer Park - Holly Shelter in Garner. The shelter is reserved from 1pm til 4pm. Swapping will begin around 2. Everything will be the same as in past swaps. We are limited to 50 participants. I guess the Pine Shelter is being repaired because it was not available to reserve on any date soooooo I booked us in the Holly Shelter which is just like our usual spot but on the other side of the parking lot. Basically, on the right just as you enter the parking lot.


As in the past we have no rules, you are free to haul anything gardening related to the swap and give it away - this includes live plants, seeds and bulbs, cuttings, pottery, tools and equipment. One thing that sets our swap apart from others is that we do not require you to even bring plants in order to participate. We always have way more plants than people. If you feel guilty taking something for nothing you can always bring food for the potluck picnic.


Here is a map showing the town of Garner’s White Deer Park shelters:

https://www.garnernc.gov/departments/parks-recreation-and-cultural-resources/parks-facilities/parks/white-deer-park/shelters


An easy way to get there is to take the Beltline to exit #299 and turn South (away from downtown Raleigh). The road you are on is Hammond Road . Stay on this same road as it crosses Hwy 70, by now it has changed names to Timber Drive. Take Timber Drive all the way to Aversboro Street and turn Right (this intersection has a Wallgreens, a CVS and a Lowe’s Foods). There is a small city sign showing how to get to White Deer or Lake Benson Park. White Deer Park is on the right. There is a church on the opposite side of the street. If you see a big wooden sign for Lake Benson you have gone one short block too far. Once you enter the park take the first turn to the left and drive until you see the big parking lot. Our shelter (Holly) is on the right as you enter the parking lot and right up against the parking lot.

ShareSaveComment21EditDelete

Comments (26)

  • 4 years ago

    Doing the Happy Dance!!!!!

  • 4 years ago

    This post is ideal for introducing yourself ( first timers) , Plants you are bringing for the general swap. the stuff we love to look at on the tables.

    If the omicron and it siblings are not troublesome may we have a potluck???John?


    There is another special side trade thread too. this one https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6237865/raleigh-spring-swap-2022-special-side-trades#n=3

  • 4 years ago

    Can't wait!!

  • 4 years ago

    I'm Jeanne and I moved from SC to NC 6 months ago and plan to attend. I remember reading about this swap for past years and then it was just too far away for me to travel but this sounds like such a warm and friendly group. I look forward to meeting you and I'm glad the swap continues.

    I did have to leave most of my plants behind but will bring what I can for the swap. I did a bit of winter sowing and started some African Violets recently and maybe I can take some other cuttings and get them to root in time ---- anyway, I'll bring what I can. Hopefully the swap will happen again next year and I'll be more prepared then. Most of my time has been directed at getting settled in my new house --- and despite the time I've devoted to it, still lots to unpack and organize. I went from very sandy soil in SC to rock hard clay soil here in NC so never any inbetween. I'm certainly enjoying the beautiful spring flowers that are in bloom.

  • 4 years ago

    sandlapper rose - Don't worry. Our swaps are more about fellow gardeners getting together and spending an afternoon with like minded people. It can be intimidating when people first arrive because we all seem to know each other but the truth is most of us only see each other at the swaps. There are always enough plants to go around. I will most likely be bringing cuttings, I haven't had time to root much. We usually have a pot luck picnic afterwards so if you feel guilty by not bringing plants you can make up for it with snacks - but only if you want to. No pressure. By the way we have two swaps a year, one in the spring and one in the fall. If people want to we will even get together in the winter to trade seeds and bulbs.


  • 4 years ago

    Sounds great! Thanks, trianglejohn.

  • 4 years ago

    Sandlapperr_rose,

    Welcome to our famous fun and friendly swap! Popularly known as Raleigh Triangle John swap.

    I highly encourage you to check the swap thread and the side trades threads from earlier years. It will give you an idea of how it works and also how passionate the swap folks are, in this group.

    Happy Swapping.

    John, I guess its to to start the food thread. Hehe! Are we having a pot luck this time or...? Fingers crossed!!!


  • 4 years ago

    I'll be happy to bring some food items. Look forward to meeting all of you.

  • 4 years ago

    Good to neet you all online !

    excited to meet n swap

  • 4 years ago

    Sabji and everyone - I have no issues with a potluck. If there isn't already a food thread someone will start one soon. As with the plants, there are no rules, bring what you are comfortable bringing.


  • 4 years ago

    HU-69105704 Sreeni rt. ?

    Hello Again,

    I am glad you enjoyed the earlier swaps ans so, coming again. I would love to trade some Indian flowering and vegetable plants / seeds with you. What do you have for trade? I will post this in the trade link too.


    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6237865/raleigh-spring-swap-2022-special-side-trades#n=25

  • 4 years ago

    Lorabell, We have not heard from you yet. I hope you are coming. I may have a surprise for you.

  • 4 years ago

    Hi Sabji

    i have login issues with houzz - sorry about the delay.

    i have only Karpooravalli aka Mexican oregano, Bathua


    i am try to get these ready

    Iresine

    Jersualem artichoke

    Bee balm

    Salvia - hot lips

    Hydrangea

    Wax begonia

    Asian day flower ( got fromyou last season 😀)

    vinca major

    Italian oregano

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Hello Sreeni,

    I would iike , Bathua, . hydrangea, bee balm, and Iresine Plants

    I have Luffa , bitter gourd and Bottle gourd seeds. I also Have ponna ganti / ponna ganni Kura potted.

  • 4 years ago

    Hey John, Les, as we are outside, any rules on Masking, or is it to each his own?

  • 4 years ago

    Mask if you want to, don't if you don't. My allergies want me to mask but so far it hasn't helped.

  • 4 years ago

    Good to know! thanks John


  • 4 years ago

    John, Thank for another wonderful, Successful and full of goodies, Swap.

    Thank you Pam for taking care of me when i had a small boo boo. The lemonade worked wonders. I am doing well. Thanks to the group for filling the tables for the general swap.

    Les, I could not sit down to have food, but i did get to taste your rosemary bread. Yum as always.

    I missed a lot of our regulars. Hope we meet in the fall swap.

    Thank you again for a wonderful swap.

  • 3 years ago

    Hi All! Spring is near. So exciting. Is there a tentative date for the swap yet? (I plan my vacation around this date...haha!) I'm not missing it this time. :)

  • 3 years ago

    Hi
    You read my mind.

    I missed the Fall swap and look forward to this one.

    --Srini

  • 3 years ago

    Hello John, When is the spring 2023 swap going to be? eagerly waiting for an announcement.

  • 3 years ago

    SameSame here..

  • 3 years ago

    Sreeni, The spring swap 2023 is on April 22 2023 this Saturday. The thread has started. Hope you join


  • 3 years ago

    sandlapper rose, Janice, , citrus guy, the post for spring 2023 swap is up. Check it out

0