Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candace_woolley

Planting tomatoes with roses?

candace z6b VA
2 years ago

Hello, I've run across a few sources that mention that it is beneficial to grow tomatoes and roses together. Has anyone tried this or know about it? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Comments (19)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    2 years ago

Ive done it to save space many times without problem, but never for any other reason. It worked out fine. Just be to allow ample space for both!😁

• Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    2 years ago

Vapor, It sounds so interesting. Do you have pictures of them growing together?

2 years ago

Sorry. I lost all my pics when my phone and google account were both hacked and everything was erased om phone and google password changed. I have no access to anything prior to late Fall 2021.😥

• Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    2 years ago

Oh, I'm sorry to bring you the bad memory back.

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    2 years ago

What did you read about the nature of the benefit to the roses, candace?

I can see the tomatoes would be happy with something to climb over.

2 years ago

Dont feel bad. Just didnt want you to think I didn't want to post them.🙂

• Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    2 years ago

No worries, I certainly don't think that way. Last month I chatted with a friend and talked about growing roses and vining annuals together. It seems unusual and I'm curious about how well/bad it will be. Do you think it may work like with sweet peas?

• candace z6b VA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Rifis, supposedly, or theoretically, tomatoes secrete a chemical that helps fight black spot.

2 years ago

I guess I should tell that to Zaide.🙄

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    2 years ago

I've done this before. Several years ago, I lost several roses and had 3 or 4 empty spots. I didn't have time to be creative and shop for annuals to fill them so I just put in several extra tomato plants. My tomatoes are either caged or staked. My roses are also caged to protect them from deer till they're of a size that the deer can't destroy them. The tomatoes did fine and we enjoyed a bigger harvest that year. The roses were unaffected, meaning that if a rose was normally clean, it still was. If it was affected with blackspot, the roses didn't improve.

• berrypiez6b
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Yesterday I made an order with Restoration seeds and within a few hours I got an email notice my seeds had already shipped, incredible !

Wish I had gotten just one more tomato in my order that I had overlooked.

If you do grow tomatoes with roses be sure to check the dimensions of how large the mature tomato plant will get; prune and stake it well so as not to shade out your rose, or deprive the tomato of it's needed sunlight. I'm totally new to this and read so much it gave me eyestrain, I'm finding out how expansive tomato world is, just like rose world.

Aunt Ginny's purple- isn't she a beauty.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    2 years ago

Whatever you do, make sure you don't use systemic rose poisons or fungicides and then plant food there!! Or sprayed ones, after you've planted tomatoes!!
    Carla in Sac

2 years ago

IfThere are also so many uses for green tomatoes themselves.😊

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    2 years ago

And if the green tomatoes don't ripen, they make a delicious roasted green salsa.

• susan9santabarbara
    2 years ago

LOL, I'm 66 and have been gardening since I was 15. I've never had a fried green tomato... what was I thinking? I'm currently on a tomato growing hiatus due to various health isses, but perhaps in the future?

• berrypiez6b
    2 years ago

It crossed my mind what if my stomach isn't up to eating tomatoes once they ripen from the forest I planned . I guess i could just stare at them growing like I do the roses , then flock my neighbor's yards .

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    2 years ago

I have some Juliet tomatoes that I planted several yrs ago. They come back every year now in different places, including in the rose beds. I think the chickens spread them around lol. They seem to do well with roses and other flowers. They like the water and fertilzer.

• susan9santabarbara
    2 years ago

@sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) Juliet is one of my favorites! Do your volunteers come true to actual Juliets? I'll never forget ~20 years ago, I had a student who was really into gardening visit my garden. I pointed out a volunteer tomato, which I hadn't yet tasted. He took a bite of one and spit it out. And this was a very polite kid with a pretty refined palate. LOL!

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor