Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_690664953

Which direction should tile go??

4 years ago

Hi there within the coming weeks i will be updating my kitchen (floor, cabinets, counters). The floor plan will be staying the same, so my question is which way should the floor tile be laid? Below is a picture of my kitchen currently so you can see the layout, as well as the tile i have chosen. For reference the new tile is 12x24” Thanks in advance!




Comments (22)

  • PRO
    4 years ago



  • 4 years ago

    Sorry, but gray-striped tile is quite dated. I know it's not what you asked, but I am trying to save you from an expensive installation. Can you change the color of the tile?

  • 4 years ago

    Beverly shows the tile going in the same direction as an adjacent wood floor. Your picture doesn't show flooring in adjacent rooms. If you do have wood, run the tile in the same direction, even if that is opposite from her picture.


    As for the color, I have to agree with Roy. Would it work with the rest of the elements in the room you've chosen to go a little darker - something that is closer to a slate look? I think that would be more classic and timeless. The tile you chose looks good in small sections but large expanses of it are stripey and not as attractive - and to his point, also a trend either out or going out.

  • 4 years ago

    What do you suggest? Below is picture of the cabinets (upper white), backsplash, counter, and lower cabinet (warm grey)

  • 4 years ago

    This is starting to feel like a disaster!!

  • 4 years ago

    Lay it out like Bev has it. And I'd prefer something darker to anchor it, too. Mostly because the floor tile you've picked looks too close to the counter--one of them might end up looking wrong.



    I'm sure the "disaster" comment was just put in the wrong thread.

  • 4 years ago

    Beverly would mind showing me what 90 degree herringbone would look like?

  • 4 years ago

    Things you may want to consider in choosing more of a darker slate tile, such as, showing more in the way of foot traffic, dirt, snow, salt from ice. If your kitchen is right next to the front door and if you don’t have a mud room, I think all these need to be considered. I live in the northeast so that’s something we here have to deal with. The tile you show has quite a bit warmth and softness which feels to me more cozy and ties well with the warm light grey bottom cabinets the quartz countertop the colors in back splash and white upper cabinets. A slate could pull more blues and appear dark locking you into a cool grey color palette.

  • 4 years ago

    Seeing the gray bottom cabinetry makes the gray floor make sense. Hope you LOVE it when it's all done. You are going from universally acceptable to trendy. Bold move.

  • 4 years ago

    @BeverlyFLADeziner's suggestion to buy a box of tiles and lay them out is a wonderful investment to make in your project. It may seem like you're throwing away money if you don't like it but in the long run, it's a small investment to make for something you'll look at everyday. Whatever you don't use, put them on craigslist for free and someone will pick them up immediately. I know from experience. Good luck on your project.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Most tile stores will take a full box of tile back. Keep the receipt.

  • 4 years ago

    Warning - unsolicited advice. If this were my kitchen, I would not do all these expensive updates without moving the range.

  • 4 years ago

    RTHawk , where would you move the range?

  • 4 years ago

    Sorry but I'm not really good at kitchen layouts -- there are others here much more knowledgeable than me that can give you better advice on layouts. All I know is that it does not seem safe to have the range abutting the side wall like that.


    Here are the NKBA guidelines: http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/kitchen.design.rules.htm


    Look at rule 17: cook surface landing area. Direct copies from the page:

    Guideline: Include a minimum of 12" (305mm) of landing area on one side of a cooking surface and 15" (381mm) on the other side.


    The purpose of the guidelines for cooking surface landing areas is not just ensuring enough working space on both sides of the cooking appliance, but to create sufficient space between the cooking appliance and any combustible cabinet materials.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Argggghhh. The cliched gray and white kitchen strikes again.

  • 4 years ago

    Thank you to everyone who provided constructive feedback. My design theory is that people should choose what they love and makes them happy—Cliche, popular, trendy or not. In addition to not providing any genuinely constructive advice there is no need to insult personal design aesthetics. I didn’t ask if you like my taste, only some insight on tile placement.

  • 4 years ago

    HOW RUDE!!
    Dani, most likely Joseph Corlett LLC, is a very unhappy man that gets his yaya’s out of insulting those he deems as the pathetics, those that lack his impeccable aesthetic eye. I can picture it now…lonely bitter man, bored to tears scrolling through this app on a Saturday, shaking his head in utter distaste and flagrant snobbery, Critiquing the “basket of deplorables” one of Hillary’s Clinton’s Favorite quotes… Sadly, there are some,that just can’t help themselves by indulging in snarky, blatant unproductive comments in a hollow attempt to arouse self satisfaction. I’m sure your project will be beautiful and well worth your time invested in addition to the cost. Best of luck to you! Please post photos!

  • 4 years ago

    @Joseph Corlett, LLC is one of the most knowledgeable professionals on Houzz and is very generous with his experienced advice. That said, Houzz is a social media site so like all other social media sites, ya gots to take your chances when you post anything anywhere and take editorial comments with a grain of salt. I doubt Joseph Corlett and I share political views but I totally respect and learn from his very knowledgeable postings and admire the time he gives to advise.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Doubt he meant to be rude or make you feel bad; more of a passing comment. For those of us who are designing and installing, it can often be a shared feeling. Sometimes we try to get folks to think outside the box and not be so "safe" with their selections. It is , of course, your decision.

    I would run the tile as was suggested above. I also agree about the previous poster who said the stove should be moved since you ae redoing the kitchen. The best way to answer that is with a floor plan or dimensions. There are many talented designers here who are happy to help .

    Good luck!

  • 4 years ago

    @tozmo1 I have no issues with constructive advice. There was no advice given, it was just a snarky comment that’s all.

  • 4 years ago

    Well, Gee now I feel bad! Perhaps I was too harsh on Joseph. Maybe his delivery could have been more tactful. Taking into consideration the above posts, I’m not above an apology for my forceful wording. Live and learn.