Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_735979549

HELP! Master Bedroom decorating ideas

Katherine Lumino
2 years ago

My master bedroom is too large for me to figure out how to design/decorate. My style is: bold, eclectic and vintage.

Comments (19)

• P Banos
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Can you post a room layout with dimensions and windows/doors. Plus items of furniture you plan to have in the room. Do you plan to change anything? Would you be open to changing any items including the throw rug, bedding, window treatments , bureaus, lamps, chair, sofa? How about paint color? Do you watch TV in bed, or from the sofa? And do you have a $ budget for changes?

• Katherine Lumino
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The bedroom is 23’ wide by 18’ deep. All the furniture except the bed, tv and basket chair can go.

• Katherine Lumino
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I would like to incorporate this

• P Banos
    2 years ago

Ok, but I can't guess about doors. Could you just do a quick layout? I think you can arrange in many different ways with all that space. I see what may be some exercise equipment near the bed? In that big a room I'd lay out my sleeping area separate from tv & exercise if possible. Maybe even add a screen to separate the areas?

• acm
    2 years ago

Not sure what scale of suggestions you're looking for, so here are some off the top of my head.

1) reading lamp (floor lamp) by the couch -- other corner from the plant.

2) center art over bed

3) second night stand for other side of bed. (you're not showing us that corner -- is there exercise equipment there?) alternatively, shift bed slightly and get a larger lamp for the current nightstand -- should be high enough that you can use it to read while sitting up

4) center art over headboard

5) I don't understand the blue rug by the dresser -- is it a dog bed? otherwise, look for a large area rug that will echo some of the colors from around the room and break up the large open space. put it under the lower half of the bed and out into the room...

Bedroom Lighting · More Info

Lido Island I · More Info

• Melissa Philippe
    2 years ago

Sleeping area separate from TV area, make two separate spaces. Smaller loveseat with a chair and tv then the sleeping area.

• ffpalms
    2 years ago

Partim asked such great questions. The answers will guide all the commenters to much better suggestions. I love the bright colors in the painting you want to use, and that, too, will help everyone focus in on the best advice.

• ffpalms
    2 years ago

Just throwing out possible color choices that you might like to go with your painting.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Let's see everything rotated around the room! ;)

I say that cause you have a few options, and decisions.

As of now, I see option for window area with hanging chair, plant, maybe a yoga place, or just an interesting rug.

Pink Peacock Indoor Area Rug, 5' Round · More Info

Outdoor Pillow Cover Colorful Waverly Santa Maria Mimosa Floral, 18"x18" · More Info

Unique Loom Multicolored Michaelangelo Vita 4' 0 x 6' 0 Area Rug · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

If window had hanging chair, could tv work where it is currently... Are you not wanting a loveseat or sofa?

vidaXL Nightstand with Drawer Reclaimed Teak Wood Living Room Storage Stand · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

This made me think of your room - do you like idea of blackout shades, etc... and bed by the windows -- with an interesting light above it?

Arts District Remodel · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I like this one, and with your art!

Nourison Passion PSN07 Teal/Sun 6'7" x 9'6" Area Rug · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

This type might be a contemporary transitional rug with ceiling fan. It seems like your sheet's color, so could be a base for the bed/bedding?

LR Home - Topanga LR81324 - 8ft 0in x 10ft 0in Blue · More Info

Waverly Santa Maria Desert Flower Decorative Pillow · More Info

Mystique 8'x11' Area Rug · More Info

• olychick
    2 years ago

I think the blue rug is a modern style runner ? (gorgeous color!) But I don't think it works in the way you are using it. Is there a hallway leading into your bedroom where you could use it maybe? It goes nicely with your art; maybe it comes in a larger size to use as others have suggested?
    It's such a wonderful, spacious room, but it feels to me like the bed is kind of crammed into the area with the lower, angled ceiling, which limits end table space as well as limiting the height of lamps.
    I know you said the bed must stay, but it looks like a child's bed because it's so low and kind of squatty (like it's missing its legs?) in a room that could handle something taller, with more presence. You say your style is bold, but the bed is anything but! I would consider getting a bed that is just larger, taller, thicker, etc. And I would put the headboard on the wall where the TV is and move the TV to the alcove where the bed is. There might be other arrangements if you show us more of the room with doors and windows on a floor plan sketch.
    I'd probably ditch the couch in favor of something smaller and cozier, or a couple of chairs.
    When you decide on a rug (if you take that suggestion, then maybe some bolder bedding (on your new, more substantial bed ;-). Perhaps paint the hanging chair a bold color to go with the painting and rug - maybe it could go in front of the windows. If not paint, then bold pillows/cushions in it? Here's one painted blue:

Maybe add some wallpaper somewhere.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Bed and fan are white - so posting this as idea that's good with white, maybe by the chair?

18" Celadon Porcelain Garden Stool · More Info

• ffpalms
    2 years ago

I’m loving a lot of the suggestions here. Everdebz’ s idea of the hanging chair in front of the windows with an interesting rug - that just sounds magical to me. And Olychick’s suggestions to move the TV where the bed is, and replace the couch with a couple of comfortable chairs for a cozy nook, and moving the bed to where the TV is now. Maybe the painting would look good above the bed.

• partim
    2 years ago

@Katherine Lumino seems to have disappeared.

One more question - how large is the art work that you want to use? It might be a little too small to look good all by itself on a large wall. Do you have any other wall art that we can see? If so please let us know the sizes.

The bed looks like a queen or even a king size, so hard to say if it will fit on the wall where the TV is now, especially if it needs night tables on either side. Or maybe the bed would fit on the mystery wall that we haven't seen yet.

• olychick
    last year

Spam teported dont click that link