Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_499159664

Dated Rental Kitchen

4 years ago

I’m looking for some renter friendly solutions for my dated kitchen. I would love wood counter tops, but since I cannot alter the existing ones, I am open to contact paper (not my favorite). Although, I’m not fond of the rounded edges of the counter. If I put down contact paper, I’d prefer it to be a squared edge. I also wanted to change the cabinets to something more modern. Perhaps adding some poplar wood and contact paper? The first two pictures are my inspiration and the last two are my current kitchen.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (25)

  • 4 years ago

    I think I would just bring in some wood in cutting boards and maybe a tray or two, and leave some of those larger wood pieces out on the counter, versus contact paper.. The current floor is really nice, but adding a runner might also add a nice feel, if you like runners in kitchen. https://www.rugs-direct.com/Details/LoloiRugs-Milo-MLO01/142484/229371 The cutting board I show below is bamboo, but of course Amazon also has lots of wood boards. And beyond that you could just bring in a nice light fixture or two.









  • 4 years ago

    Your kitchen is not that bad. Is it worth it to put money into it? How long are you there for?

  • 4 years ago

    Contact paper cannot be totally pulled off. It will ruin the existing countertops. I think your only option is contacting the landlord and paying for new counters yourself. I would use the money to buy things you can take with you when you move.

  • 4 years ago

    Renting is tough as you don't have the freedom to incur the expense of 'fixing' what you don't care for. Owners want their rental property to be the same as the rest as a rule. PERHAPS if you can convince your owners you plan to stay for longer than the usual few years they might give you some design freedom. Still until then you are better served making purchases you can take with you and ignore what you don't care for, so as suggested some cutting boards accessories you love and focus on them. The upside is any guests know this is not your choice of counters.

  • 4 years ago

    Don’t use contact paper on anything without talking to the landlord. It does not come off easily and can ruin the underneath surface. You will probably lose your security deposit.
    Use other decorating ideas to enhance the feeling of the place without touching the permanent fixtures that are not yours.

  • 4 years ago

    As a landlord, my lease is specific. No painting or other alterations are to be done. If you don’t like the kitchen that much you need to look for a new apartment. I would not want counters changed to wood as they are not “tenant proof” and require care that the next tenant would not do and maintenance between tenants. Laminate is much more tenant proof and that pattern coordinates well with what is there. They only thing I would consider is for you to pay for a professional (approved by me) removal and installation of a pattern that has been pre-approved by me. All alterations remain with the property when you leave. No compensation would be provided to you for these improvements to my property.

  • 4 years ago

    In your pic, the only thing that jumps out to me are the wood trim pieces. Ideally, if they were painted the same color as the cabinets, it would really update your room. You could ask the LL if you could paint the wood, If s/he says no then I'd get some rub on gel stain and restain them, so they look fresh and clean.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    IMO get some nice wood cutting boards and do not use contact paper on anything unless at the end of your stay you will be responsible for replacing the counters in this case .

  • 4 years ago

    Alexandra Gater on YouTube specializes in showing others ways to make every room in their rental apartments feel like home on a small budget without losing their security deposit, including some with no painting, no drilling holes. Here is just one of her posts
    https://youtu.be/zHZnQn6D-2E

  • 4 years ago

    Thanks so much for all the feedback. I made that board and batten (renter friendly) to try and update the look, and I think it’s definitely better but there’s just still something off. Perhaps it is the wood trim. Would white contact paper be fine on the cabinet doors or would it still not be recommended? I plan on being here for a while (but you know sometimes life throws you curve balls) so I’m happy to make the space my own with some effort.

  • 4 years ago

    Contact paper is a no-no. As was suggested above, ASK THE LANDLORD if you can sand down and paint the wood handles the same color as the laminate.
    You seem to think that contact paper is a benign solution- it’s not. Listen to @marylut.

  • 4 years ago

    @redryder I get it. There’s a reason I’m here to ask for suggestions BEFORE talking to the LANDLORD.

  • 4 years ago

    I’ll chime in with the others…Contact Paper leaves a sticky residue that is virtually impossible to remove.

  • 4 years ago

    Please, no contact paper. I feel like we are being punked.

  • 4 years ago

    If you left that much contact paper residue (presuming you didn’t damage the surface the contact paper is attached to) I would be tempted to charge $50/hr to remove it. If I have to replace the surface I am charging full price. That has the potential to mean you are paying for new cabinets. If you want to do these types of alterations you need to buy your own place. Besides, contact paper in these applications looks really tacky!

  • 4 years ago

    @Monica, you write that something feels off. To me it is all the various heights that is a little unsettling (see the black horizontal lines on photo below?). The fridge is too short for the pantry and 1 frame is too high for the pantry. Try putting the frames side by side at pantry level. then try something other than that plant on top of the fridge, because the plant draping down the side of the fridge makes the fridge look even shorter.

  • 4 years ago

    @mainenell yeah, that’s why I didn’t want to do any contact paper. Like I said, not my favorite. Always though it looked tacky, but just trying to think of a temporary way to hide the wood trim on the cabinets

  • 4 years ago

    @marylut thank you! I’ll consider a better way to level out the fridge with the cabinets. I just wanted to try and cover the breaker box since it’s caked over with paint and rather unsightly.

  • 4 years ago

    Why not find a basket(s) to put on top of the fridge for extra storage that would bring it visually to the same level as the pantry cabinet. Then use one large piece of artwork for the wall—something that would hide the breaker box. You could re-frame/re-mat one of the pieces you already have. I agree that re-staining the wood trim on the cabinets would freshen the look, and adding other wood pieces (cutting board, tray, etc.) will get you close to the look you want.

  • 4 years ago

    We had these exact cabinets in our first condo and I hated them. I painted the wood trim white and then added hardware; made a world of difference. Ask your landlord if they’d allow you to make those minor changes - in a rental, no matter how long-term, it’s really not worth your time and money to do more than that. You’d be better off spending your money on furniture and decor you can take with you to your next place.

  • 4 years ago

    With LL's permission, I would gel stain the wood pulls to an ebony and paint the wainscot black, centering the two pictures vertically above the center panel. Be prepared to repaint the wainscot before you leave the place. Add a colorful or patterned runner on the floor to draw the eye away from the parts you're not crazy about. Agree about something on top of the fridge, but not on the front or sides of it. Clear that off. Maybe the pothos plant would fit on top of the right side cabinet.


    Kitchen · More Info

    Hagys Ford Renovation · More Info


  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Yes, skip the contact paper. But you can use shelf paper/liners to line your shelves/drawers. It's non-adhesive and comes in tons of different styles. It's not just paper anymore :)

    I wouldn't really mess with the cabinets. But you could find command hooks for that one big side to hang your potholders on like in the first pic. Command hooks can be a great so long as you pick the right kind. And when you are moving out, easy to remove. What are your backsplashes? If they are tile like the inspiration photos, you can use command hooks on tile. Not sure from the photo if you can or not, but maybe a magnetic knife strip on the side of your fridge.

    Depending on what your fuse box cover is made of- you can even dress it up. If magnets can stick to it, you can do a magnet backed dry erase or chalkboard. Frame the board and stick it to fuse box. If it's not magnetic, you can use the temporary mounting tabs. You still have access, it's covered, and it looks like you put your list in a handy spot on purpouse. Don't solve the art arrangement thing, but thought it would be nice to offer the option.

  • 4 years ago

    @decoenthusiaste the wainscoting is actually a renter friendly diy. I painted some plywood and put it up with command strips. So I can just take it down when I move.

  • 4 years ago

    Like the counters or not, contact paper is NOT the solution! As a landlord, I’ve had to assess damages when a renter has defaced the counter with contact paper. The adhesive is not able to be removed and the counters must be replaced before a unit can be rented again.