Software
Houzz Logo Print
sjayala

Need ideas on "fixing" this master bath

4 years ago

Anyone have any ideas on how to keep the shower and remodel the rest?

Floor? Granite? Paint the cabinets? New vanity lights? I really need help and any ideas would be much appreciated.












Comments (28)

  • 4 years ago

    What are your goals for this space? I normally would say leave the wood vanity as is but from your photo the vanity seems to compete with the busyness of the floor. Perhaps a countertop in black, grey or white could tone it down. I can see some use of black accents might enhance your space, like changing lights and cabinet knobs to black might look nice with your other brushed nickel accents. I think you should decide if you want to change the floor because that would impact the vanity appearance. The lights currently are nice lights, not sure they fit the style of the room.

    sjayala thanked bearbev
  • 4 years ago

    is this a listing photo?

    if you could post your own photo showing all angles, it would help a lot more.


    the rustic warm wood vanity (and door) doesn't work w/the more modern, cooler tiles and ganite. and the industrial style lighting just further confuses everything.

    you have at least 3 diff styles in that room and they're all fighting each other.


    So, what would you like to see?

    And what exactly is the budget for you to change things?

    Painting the vanity is one option, but I don't think it's going to do a whole lot if you keep that countertop. it's too busy for the tile.


    changing out the tile floor, countertop, lighting and painting the vanity would be the things I'd tackle.

    If I had the budget, I'd get rid of everything but the vanity and door! I don't care for any of those tile choices, but if you do, work around those.

    sjayala thanked Beth H. :
  • 4 years ago

    What's your budget? @Beth H. :is right, changing out the tile floor, countertop, lighting and painting the vanity would be the things I'd tackle.

    But nothing is inexpensive. Knowing your budget would help prioritize changes.

    sjayala thanked tozmo1
  • 4 years ago

    This bathroom is not done in colors that I like (beige is not my thing). But, you need to decide what your colorway is. One way to go would be to paint the vanity, so that all those red-brown color variations are not there. Pick a color for the cabinets that is also in the floor, but ask at the paint store what colors go into your choice, and stay away from anything with red in the mix. I think I would go for a dark taupe, for contrast with the shower, but picking up a color in the existing floor. Painting the vanity would eliminate some of the busy feel of the room at the most reasonable cost. Sherwin Williams "polished concrete" color might calm the room combination and add a place for the eye to rest. Paint the walls in "Grayish," maybe, it's really impossible to do colors from a photo. I would see what you think of the countertop after you paint the vanity. The right color paint may be all it needs. I think the paint is the best way to pull this all together. The right wall paint and the lighting will be a nice touch! The other approach is to remove the floor, which looks like a new addition; you may not want to do that. Either the floor or the vanity have to change, and the vanity is less fuss and less $$.

    sjayala thanked Connie Bundy
  • 4 years ago

    Paint out the vanity or change it and replace the countertop and mirrors. Everything else flows with the shower but those items.

    sjayala thanked Lorraine Leroux
  • 4 years ago

    What are your goals for this space?

    Yes, I was going to ask the same question. What is it that you want "fixed"?

    the rustic warm wood vanity (and door) doesn't work w/the more modern, cooler tiles and ganite.

    Yes, you've put your finger on what I see as the real issue here: I like the rustic vanity, and I like the modern shower ... but they aren't friends. The floor goes with the shower.

    What I'd do:

    - Paint the sink vanity a solid color ... Ideally I'd like to see it blue (or another color-color, not a neutral), but you're committed to beige in the shower, so a slightly darker shade of beige would probably be best.

    - Change out the lighting, which leans towards rustic or industrial. Anything with a modern flare.

    - Frame out the mirror, which looks rather unfinished. Close the closet door ... it's creating double-clutter by being reflected in the mirror, but this is the cheapest possible solution.

    - Bring in some color through bright towels and floor mats.

    - Finish it out with some colorful artwork and a bit of greenery.

    sjayala thanked Mrs Pete
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I need more info and IMO the shower is a tleast as dated as the rest so I would wait until you can gut and start over or change the lighting to a something much more modern and LEDs 4000K and apint the vanity and then see how you like it. The floor goes with the shower floor so changing floor will make the shower look even worse IMO.

    sjayala thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 4 years ago

    Thanks for all of the comments and ideas.


    Trying to keep costs down so I was hoping to work with that shower. Floor, paint, new granite are all in budget.


    Can someone suggest some kind/color of floor that would work with this shower?


    Thank you.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Can you find a paint color the same as the color of the olive stripe in the shower, then have the vanity professionally painted? After that, see what does not look good. Change the floor or counter only if you see it looking bad with the new vanity color.

    sjayala thanked Nancy in Mich
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Demolishing a floor in a bathroom is going to open a big can of worms. The banging could compromise the shower and other plumbing. If you're not going to redo the entire room, then just paint the vanity and replace the counter tops and sink.

    sjayala thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 4 years ago

    It's a well functioning room, I would wait until I had the money to get it all redone at the same time - to replace shower, floor and vanity.

    sjayala thanked bearbev
  • 4 years ago

    Thank you. It is amazing the difference with the vanity and door a different color.

  • 4 years ago

    If paint is the fix you want to go with for now, post closer up photos of the countertop, the floor and all the tile and I'm sure the fine folks here who are good with color can find something that you can sample. Can't quite see your lights but IMO the shape of them looks good. You could explore painting them black (A can of Rustoleum is your friend) and doing black hardware on the cabinet for a new look if that works with the new cabinet color. I think they look good as is, but I really can't see them well.

    The materials and workmanship of the bath look to be of high quality. A shame to rip it all out if you're not doing a total reno with a large budget. That's a big bathroom.

    sjayala thanked tozmo1
  • 4 years ago

    Hm….if you don’t want to run the risk of possibly destroying something while removing the tile flooring (although I think this can be done slowly and carefully….I know hubby did it), then paint your cabs in a soft white (with a slight gray undertone) or pale gray, and replace the countertops with a quartz that mimics a white marble with very soft gray veining, or possibly even without veining. If you do decide to replace the flooring I would choose either a whitish marble with soft gray (possibly Carrara or similar, just make sure it doesn’t get too busy), or a porcelain that mimics marble…..there are many options, whether you want to go high $$, or watch your spending. You will want to look for materials that go with the shower floor, but won’t add any more “busyness”. Changing out light fixtures is easy, it just depends on what you like. Good luck!

    sjayala thanked coray
  • 4 years ago

    Or, if you like the accent (“waterfall”) color of the shower, paint the cabinets in that tone…..it would still work with the above suggestions.

    sjayala thanked coray
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Here is one suggestion, there are many options. Keep your floor tiles, match a dark grey to your tiles and paint the vanity. Change the counter top to a white quartz (with not to much veining so that it doesn't compete with the floor tile which seems to have lots of veins). Install a wood frame around the wall mirror and paint it white. You can spray paint your sconces in mat black. Install nice modern faucets. You can leave the strip of green tiles inthe shower or look into painting it (special paint & process for tiles) in a dark grey to match the vanity. White ceiling, and white walls or very light grey.


    sjayala thanked lisedv
  • 4 years ago



    So... a little demo started. This picture is taken facing the vanities. As you can see, the shower is going to be the same. The tile in the shower is like a taupe with a hint of green and the tile floor is black and white. My husband would not let me take the shower out so we have to work our magic.

    My style of decorating is light rustic/old world style.


    We are putting wood look tile in the rest of the house. Would wood look tile look okay in this master bathroom? The doors and trim are all going to be white.

    I can paint our old vanity any color. One suggestion was to paint the vanity close to the color of the taupe tile in the shower. Any other suggestions?




    This is a picture of the tile in the shower and an example of the wood look tile and white for the trim and the doors.


    Overwhelming!!! Thanks for any ideas. Really appreciate it.






  • PRO
    4 years ago

    This gives an idea of what it can look like if the vanity is the same taupe colour as your tiles. Here I just used the same mark-up I had done last time changing the floor to a wood look tile. I think that it would look nice with the vanity the same colour as your dark tiles.


    sjayala thanked lisedv
  • 4 years ago




    Here is the shower. Thank you everyone. Really appreciate it.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    The colour of the tiles above is very different from the colour in your 1st picture. Which one is the good one? The one above looks much greener and the one below looks bronze.



  • 4 years ago

    The tile color is a greenish tint taupe I would say.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Hello, I am going to hope that you have not done the wood-look floor in the bathroom. I think most comments agreed that the wood tones in the vanity should go away. Thus, I am feeling that the wood floor may not be the best introduction to this space. If you wish to use that product, I would make it something that works with the gray tones suggested for the vanity, rather than adding another brown tone to the space. IMHO! I just don't visualize the brown floor being the right thing for this space. Can you get the product in some sort of Gray tones without the brown? Bathroom floors are often a different product and color than the rest of the house. If the remaining flooring in the shower is black and white, I think the wood tone will take away from the look you are going for. It sounds like you will be painting your trim in white, taking out that wood look, so i wouldn't add the brown wood floor. Finally, this last item is just a little thing, but use towels that are not the light gold color of those on the towel bars now.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I agree with Connie Bundy, not of fan of the wood tiles in the bathroom...

  • 4 years ago

    no wood look tile. i think i will paint the cabinets the color of the tile in the shower (taupe).

    Any ideas on a floor?



  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Don't know the style of your house nor the exact taupe is your colour but I would go for a marble look porcelain tile preferably 24 x 24.


  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    No woodlook tiles. Not with that busy shower floor tile. you need something plain.

    you see how this shower has busy tile like yours? now look at the floor tile. same tone, but plain. you could try somethng like this in a color that goes w/your shower


    This one is DalTile gray hex (10" I think) what if you did something like this? make sure the gray color leans on the greenish side to go w/the gray in your shower


    Somer Tile 8x8", plain white


    They have tons of these tiles in all colors. Look at IvyHill on Wayfair or HomeDepot, or Tilebar has a ton of options with a 5 for $5 sample.

    This color from tilebar could work. looks like a polished cement. Tulsa Charcoal matte, 18x36"


    https://www.tilebar.com/collection/tile-mosaic-collections/tulsa-collection.html

    they have a few diff colors in this collection


    Go to a tile store or order some tiles online for samples to bring home and see how they look. if you have any spare tiles from the shower, take them with you to the tile store.

    I'd paint out the wood baseboard white. Pure White, Oxford White are whites w/o much undertones.



    Do you have a taupe color in mind for the vanity?

    see if any of these work




    Or, you could try doing a very very light taupe-ish whte. that might look better


    sjayala thanked Beth H. :