Software
Houzz Logo Print
cjvl

Kitchen Backsplash Ideas

4 years ago

Just had new cabinets and granite installed and now I’m trying to figure out what to do for the backsplash or if I should just leave it painted white. The floors are not installed yet. I thought these tiles might go but I think it’s too much.

Comments (17)

  • 4 years ago

    There will be a stainless steel hood above the stove.

  • 4 years ago

    That tile is for sure too busy IMO. I would go something simple in a solid color tile. One of the lighter tones in the countertop. You could do a herringbone pattern to class it up even.

  • 4 years ago

    True I do!

  • 4 years ago

    Pretty tile, but much too much with your granite. But you could certainly use what you have - what’s that, like 5 or 6 inches? What’s your floor going to be? It might be best to see the whole kitchen once the floor is down. Then decide the backsplash.

  • 4 years ago

    You would have to remove the granite backsplash first to have a cohesive look, however it looks nice and I would leave it and paint the rest to
    Match

  • 4 years ago

    I definitely would not add tile backsplash on top of the 5” granite backsplash that you already have. If you want to add tile, you’d need to remove that first. I’d leave it exactly as it is. What kind of flooring are you going for?

  • 4 years ago

    Vinyl plank wood look. Something like this.

  • 4 years ago

    This is a case where less is more. You need to lose that 4" piece if you want to add a tile backsplash. Your counter is busy, I'd choose a plain white tile , subway is fine. And this is coming from someone who chose something completely different than white subway. Also your floor should not have as much variation as the sample you showed. Let your counter be the star.

  • 4 years ago

    I am tired of tile splashes. Yours looks complete as is. Use a high quality washable paint and call it done.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Your granite is stunning and is much more attractive with your cabinets than pulling the short splash and swathing the wall in white tile. That will just introduce a competing pattern with the grout lines. Leave it as is.

    Here is a recent thread on your current counter/short backsplash combo that you may like. If you need something behind your range, have a piece of your granite fabricated slightly taller, or use a piece of stainless, or in this thread, I posted a photo where they used small, square, blending tiles behind their range only:

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6246858/is-the-short-3-6-kitchen-backsplash-coming-back-around

    I agree with @cit3 that your floor should be more uniform. I'd go less red, as well. I've seen your floor choice with dark cabinets, but those kitchens had more muted counters. I think less dramatic floors will give your eyes the proverbial "place to rest".





  • 4 years ago

    Hello,
    Your granite is lovely and the backsplash just does not work with it. I agree with everyone else in that you should not add a tile above the granite backsplash. However you would need something behind the stove and could do a simple subway in the lightest shade from your counter. Or even a 4x4 square. Something like this

  • 4 years ago

    Bright white would be beautiful!

  • 4 years ago

    just paint a light blue or aqua. how about that mustard colored linoleum in the last pic. very cool in your space too.

    Fresh Traditional Aurora IL Kitchen Design and Remodel · More Info


    Captiva Guest House · More Info


    CONTEMPORARY - LOS ALTOS · More Info


    Modern Kitchen · More Info


  • 4 years ago

    One idea: Start with "peel and stick" tiles in various patterns/colors to help you hone in on your final choice. I will say that your counter is very pretty and lends itself to a SOLID color above it. No pattern.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I usually like kitchens with the short matching 4-5” backsplash (or as a full splash) that matches the countertop. However when it is a bold granite like yours, I prefer it paired with a solid colored tile backsplash with matching grout that is as thin as possible. It love your granite countertop. It is beautiful! But as it goes vertically up the backsplash, I find it almost like too much of a good thing. If it were me I would remove the short granite piece and do something like these simple off white tile examples.






    I did a mockup of that last one in your kitchen. I love your pendants and I would have fun adding pops of the turquoise, blue, and gold colors around the space in accessories.


  • 4 years ago

    Thank you everyone for all of the ideas! I have decided to not use any tile. I have painted the wall with a more washable white paint. I may add some of the granite behind the stove but still not sure!
    Thank you again!!!
    I will post a pic when it’s all done!