Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jesse_belanger

Thoughts on counter/flooring idea?

Jesse B
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Due to a flood, I have to replace the flooring and counters in my kitchen (the subfloor was compromised, so the floor had to come up and the cabinets had to come out and the granite was broken in the process). The cabinets are going back. I will be painting - not sure what color yet.

I'm thinking that I want to do silver cloud granite for the new counter and go with a dark grey, rectangular, porcelain tile for the floor (like this or this).

It seems like black granite counters are out, but I do think black looks good in there, which is why I'm thinking dark tile would look nice. Silver cloud would be a little more neutral for the counter.

A note on why tile: Originally I was going to extend hardwood in from the dining room, but my contractor advised that the condition of the framing calls for a thicker subfloor (along with blocking the joists), forcing the kitchen floor to be slightly higher if I went with hardwood. He suggested I could put in 3/8" click-in hardwood, but the planks would be wider than the existing planks, so there'd be a seam where the two floors met. I was only interested in hardwood or wood-look if it could run seamlessly between the two spaces.

Here are some pictures of the kitchen before the incident (they're also in my Upstairs Kitchen ideabook):

Comments (5)