Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Osmocote for Clematis?

Oakley
last year

I have old Rose food that I used to use, not sure if it's any good. I have a bottle of Osmocote outdoor and indoor time release, 15-9-12. Is that a no-no? I've read to use is and some say not to.

Any experience with Osmocote? I forget the name of the plant, but it's type 3.

Comments (15)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

My clematis is a Huldine, two of them, and planted in the ground. While they grow and bloom tremendously, they don't bloom until October. I know it's because I haven't been very good at fertilizing them.

Do you think Osmocote Plus would be to strong for them?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Although October IS pretty late for this to flower, if they "grow and bloom tremendously", then that is not due to lack of fertilization. That may just be your location or siting that is causing the late bloom.

No prepared fertilizer is too strong....as long as you apply according to label instructions. Rose or tomato fertilizer works perfectly well also.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

They don't re-bloom is what I meant. They're supposed to but never did. It's done, they're fertilized. lol I buried the pelts per directions but one is in the middle of Daylilies so I just sprinkled around them. No way was I going to stick my hands in there. :)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Pruning group 3 clems - those that flower on the current season's growth - are not rebloomers :-) It's a once and done thing, although the bloom period can be extended and could last several months.

It is only the pruning group 2 clems - those that flower on both old and new wood - that are reliable rebloomers. Early blooms on old growth.....later blooms on the new. And not even all of them will fit that description or observe any repeat flowering. Most do....some don't.

btw, I don't use Osmocote on any inground plantings. I find it to be far too expensive for that sort of usage :-)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

The websites that call them rebloomers probably mean repeat bloomers, late spring through October. Mine haven't ever bloomed that long, maybe in full bloom for a month then they piddle out. I'm pretty sure it's because I haven't fed them in a few years. :)

I was able to get one pound of Osmocote from Amazon for $10.00. I don't have many outdoor plants to use it on and thankfully I only need to do it once or twice a season, depending on the plant. I'm not using it on my annuals or houseplants.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Huldeen - and other group 3's - do not start blooming in late spring...... unless you are in a very southerly, mild climate and you don't bother to prune at all. They are typically described as late summer into fall bloomers (July to October), aka the LATE large flowering hybrids.

Be careful of the information received from a lot of websites. Much of it is very generalized and unless coming from a clematis specialty website or an extension service (.edu) website it may be inaccurate or misleading.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

I'm in Z7 and they do start blooming in late Spring. We get all four seasons here. I've grown these for about 4 or 5 years, I know them well. They get hard pruned in March, as all 3's should be.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    last year

My Huldine clematis bloom in June, I am in zone 5a. Mine get hard pruned in April every year. I usually have a few blooms later in the season. Huldine is in full sun here and in the ground.

Sherry

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

I am in a much milder climate than a zone 7, have grown literally hundreds of different clematis over the years and even worked at a clematis specialty grower. I have never seen ANY type 3 clematis bloom before midsummer........certainly not in late spring or even as early as June!!

That is NOT typical behavior and not something I'd expect anywhere as a matter of routine.

YMMV

ETA: Even COTW states bloom time as "July, August, September, October".

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

Gardengal, are you calling me a LIAR? I came here for fertilizing advice, not someone who thinks they know it all about MY plants. I don't care what you read or where you get your info. My Huldine bloom in late Spring. Please stop arguing because you're losing pretty fast and I think you owe me an apology for insinuating I'm telling a big one.

Thanks, Sherry! We had a frigid winter and the Clems came up a couple of weeks late, so maybe they'll make gardengal happy and bloom in July. :)

July is late for Huldine where I live.

Discussion over. Puhleeze.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

I never insinuated anything but I have to wonder why you are so incredibly defensive. I was simply attempting to point out to anyone else who may be growing this cultivar that a late spring bloom time is not typical and is not something to be expected. And this is well documented by ANY clematis authority so far more than just my opinion!!

Jeesh!!!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    last year

Just another FYI. The large nursery I patronize has Huldine bloom time as early summer to summer. June fits thats description to me.

Sherry

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

I consider myself an "authority" regarding Huldine, Type 3. These are the first blooms of the season.

Above when I wrote they don't bloom until October, I meant to add "like the description says."

Today. z7, hard prune in March when it was cold.

BTW, it was this board that told me all about Huldine before I read about it on many sites.

• lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
    last year

This thread is very interesting to me in regard to bloom times. Last year we had an early spring, and this is Jackmanii Superba on June 7, 2021, with several open flowers and several buds. I had cut it down to about 12” tall at the end of March and it grew so fast!! I am curious to see when it will bloom this year, when we’ve had a late spring in Michigan, but have seemingly accelerated into summer. The vines are already growing across the top of my garden arch, it’s crazy how fast this thing grows!

I just purchased Huldine at the nursery today and hope it’s as vigorous as Jackmanii and Betty Corning. I am new-ish to clems and also recently purchased Polish Spirit, Rooguchi, Stand By Me, and Comtesse de Bouchaud. (I’m making up for lost time!)

Jackmanii Superba, June 7, 2021: