Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_panzani

bedroom closet door options

Lauren P
2 years ago

I am framing a 6ft long closet in the bedroom. Debating on two 24” French doors or a set of two 24” bifold doors. The bed is 4foot away from the closet. Would the 24” French doors open too close to the bed and be inconvenient?

Comments (5)

• Helen
    2 years ago

I have a two large closets in my master and I have sliding doors and I find them very convenient because they don't protrude and are easy to open and close. Mine are fully mirrored which was a deliberate choice - I like the ability to have huge closets which eliminates the need for smaller mirrors and I like the way the mirrors reflect the view and lighten the space.

I also have bifold doors in a long closet in a hallway. The issue with mine is because of the size I have to close them carefully which isn't a big deal except I had to get used to it.

I remodeled and replaced the closet doors with higher quality closet doors. Previously the builder grade tracks were always coming off the tracks so I got used to having to put them back in the tracks. With the new closet doors they operate seamlessly and never go off tracks. Also the actual mirrored doors in my bedroom are more attractive because they are framed with something that blends in perfectly with the mirrors and there are mirrored handled as well.

• PRO
    Murphy Door | Hidden Door Solutions
    last year

Hi, Lauren! If you are looking to add more storage space with a sleek new look, you may want to look at our French Door or Bi-Fold Door closet door options. They're customizable so you can be sure they fit perfectly in your space. Our team is happy to talk through different options with you.

Best of luck with the closet door updates!

• Mrs Pete
    last year

I have a two large closets in my master and I have sliding doors and I find them very convenient because they don't protrude and are easy to open and close.

My sister and I had that set-up in our bedroom growing up. We had two closets (one with a hanging rod, one with shelves), and they each closed with sliding doors. Some people dislike this set-up because it means you can't see EVERYTHING in the closet at once, but I never found that to be an issue. Sliding doors are a plus because they don't require any "swing space" in the room.

Mine are fully mirrored which was a deliberate choice

Ours were plain ugly brown. I would've enjoyed mirrors. Or French doors. Or stained glass.

• mainenell
    last year

Sliding doors are highly underrated, imo. Why do you need to see everything at once? Most people can remember the shirts are on left and pants are on the right. And it takes 3 seconds to move the door to the other side. Spend the money for better hardware and have it installed and adjusted well.

• Helen
    last year

@mainenell I also don't understand why one needs to see everything at once. My closet is organized and so I know where everything is so I open the half of the closet which stores those items which I need to access. I also have two large closets so I also know which closet stores which items.

The only type of closet I fantasize about are the ones that are the size of a room and which have built ins around them with glass doors which resemble an expensive store so everything is visible and yet remains dust free. Also a very large island in the middle with drawers that are customized to hold all of my extensive collection of accessories and jewels plus - of course - my shoes behind glass doors so that they are visible and dust free. And a comfortable chair or two in there.

But the actual storage in my two large closets with sliding doors is greater than most walk in closets and there are no doors that have to be dealt with in terms of laying out furniture.