Software
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

How do you sit on this?

4 years ago

Jester Sofa (Gaetano Pesce) from the TBWA Chiat/Day Advertising Agency offices. "The Disruption Company" so it fits their profile.



Comments (30)

  • 4 years ago

    I'm so confused...

  • 4 years ago

    yikes

  • 4 years ago

    I guess part of the joke is that you can sit between the jester's cap, but then you are sitting on a crack in the cushions. They probably flip over to the back as well.

  • 4 years ago

    My first thought for some of us:



  • 4 years ago

    How to integrate the idea of "saving seats" into design??!

  • 4 years ago

    Well my....panther.... would center herself on top or underneath the black floppy one. Depending on the ambient temperature.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    looks like some kind of rude suckling device. Probably used in a waiting room for a certain kind of business.


  • 4 years ago

    The more pertinent question is why on earth would anyone WANT to see on that? How gross.

  • 4 years ago

    That is just weird.

  • 4 years ago

    What a joke. I cannot believe someone would pay any amount of money for the sofa.

  • 4 years ago

    @just_terrilynn DID YOU HAVE TO PUT THAT THOUGHT/IMAGE IN MY HEAD???!!! 😂

  • 4 years ago

    I’d be afraid i would be eaten by the couch.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    It looks a lot cosier in this view and also I much prefer it with the lower seat, less inflated "caps" and bigger puffballs. It's like TBWAChiatDay asked them to make it 60% less sittable and 100% uglier.



    '4 Il Giullare Sofa
    Named after the hat of a Giullare – that’s “jester” in Italian – this sectional joins together with zippers. Designed for Meritalia in 2012, the thoughtfully placed fabric tongues extend from the back and function as moveable cushions that can be adjusted to give comfort to the user, like an arm around the shoulders. These unusual elements encourage the user to modify them and create a personalized experience."

    https://www.azuremagazine.com/article/gaetano-pesce-iconic-designs/

  • 4 years ago

    I was just going to post that one, it's a less ominous looking version of the one for a commercial space.

    I don't know that he considers himself a post modernist, I read something about "warm modernism".

    Other works



  • 4 years ago

    I'll be honest even then I don't want to wrap myself in ANYTHING in a commercial waiting room. I prefer much less contact with strangers' miasmas.

  • 4 years ago

    just_terrilynn -- haha, my thoughts exactly!

  • 4 years ago

    SeattleMCM, so glad I'm not the only one with a bizarre imagination lol

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Ahh, giant larvae!

  • 4 years ago

    just_terrilynn oh, don't get me started! I have a certain reputation among my friends about my weird/gross sense of humor. I try to keep it tamed here on Houzz.

  • 4 years ago

    palimpsest -- that city sunrise one is adorable. it would be perfect for a kid's space, particularly if you were allowed to re-arrange them.

    they make couches for kids now that are for playing, and you can fold them back into regular seating (or a guest bed) when you're done. I kind of want one for me, lol:


  • 4 years ago

    The Tramonto a New York sofa (sunrise) is rare. Only 42 were produced, and a kind of dirty worn one sold for ~$14,000 and a nice example is for sale for about $32,000.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I’m crushing on this, it’s been taunting me in IG ads:

    https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/seating/sofas/1960s-skyscraper-design-velvet-sectional-sofa/id-f_24238972/



    It’s a bit out of my budget. A lot out of my budget.

    My budget and that price are not living on the same planet. Also, I’d have to knock down walls for it to fit, and give up having a kitchen, dining room, and garage.

  • 4 years ago

    They also "recommend reupholstering" on that one.

  • 4 years ago

    Omg. Can you imagine the cost of that? I’d love to hear an estimate.

  • 4 years ago

    I think the original picture is a sofa with built-in hats. You know, for people who spend so much on the sofa that they can't afford to keep the heat on.

  • 4 years ago

    The description from Azure actually mentioned "thoughtfully placed fabric tongues."

    No thanks.

  • 4 years ago

    I was thinking it's versatile. One can flip the "hats" back and have a tight hard surface or cozy into a hat. They look like a down sleeping bag and would be pretty soft to sit on if so. Their shape is troublesome.

  • 4 years ago

    Weird, but as Arcy said: you could scrunch up the hats into resonably confortable supports.

  • 4 years ago

    Pal, the last one you posted looks like an iceberg. They are just all weird.


    @User those are called The Nugget. My sister and I gave one to DD2's youngest last Christmas. They use it so much, DD2 bought them another one. DGS sleeps on his when I stay with them. They loved building forts, slides for the 2yo.

  • 4 years ago

    This is the one that gets me:

    Kendall Jenner bought one of these for $52,000 a few years ago, as you may remember.

    The "Jester" sofa could possibly be comfortable, if you can adjust the cap portion sufficiently. The colors (with the shape), however, remind me of Halloween candy corn, which I never liked.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert