Software
Houzz Logo Print
simsim0

Paint kitchen cabinets or not?

4 years ago

The kitchen is a bit outdated and dark. I’d like to brighten it with new white countertops (organic white ceaserstone quartz), new backsplash and appliances. I’m on the fence for painting the cherry wood cabinets. Do you think I can modernize and brighten this kitchen without painting the cabinets? I’ve been with this kitchen for the last 7 years :-) I appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thank you!



Comments (14)

  • 4 years ago

    More pictures



  • 4 years ago

    Unless appliances are malfunctioning or worn out, you might be better off to keep them than to deal with shipping delays and limited in stock items. The cabinets aren't bad but you do need under cabinet LED lighting. Before getting started, change the bulbs in your can lights to 3500-4000K LEDs to bring in more of a daylight look and help you properly determine colors. of counters, tile and splash. I would want to change the floors too unless they are throughout an open concept area and that's too big a job for the budget. They don't exactly go with the gray walls.

    simsim0 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 4 years ago

    Painting cabinets is either expensive, or a ton of work. And the most dated thing about your cabinets is the arched panel, which painting won't fix. But new countertops and backsplash will do a lot to brighten the room. If you can update the floor too, that will also help a lot. Make those updates first, and then see how you feel about the cabinets.

    simsim0 thanked mcarroll16
  • 4 years ago

    Thank you so much. Any suggestions for backsplash? i fell in love with these Backsplash tiles, but it might too dark with the cabinets.

  • 4 years ago

    stick with white...need not be boring...you can find tiles with texture or a shape or a more modern sized subway. if you redo the floor as well you will up your costs but coordinated ..counters/backspkash AND floor is probably worth it. notice how as much white as possible inserted next to dark cabinets in the pics lightens up the overall look. and your space is bigger so with all white counters/splash/ a lighter floor the overall will change. If you had a logical transition or break to do some white on the cabinets that would be a thought ,,,but dont see that .

    Central Park West · More Info


    Stained Glass · More Info


  • 4 years ago

    Great thank you. here is my inspiration picture. keep cabinet color as is and add bright backsplash and waterfall countertops to brighten things up. I might look into the glass cabinet doors like they did in this picture


  • 4 years ago

    Glass doors could be lovely. I would not do a waterfall countertop though. That's a very high-end and modern look. As a style, I think it would clash with your cabinets. And as a finish, it has the potential to make older cabinets look shabby, not upgraded.

    simsim0 thanked mcarroll16
  • 4 years ago

    I would lighten wall paint, and put in white or cream BS. Then see what that does. Your floors look nice, hate to take them out if you can avoid it. Cabs are beautiful, I wouldn't paint personally. :)

    simsim0 thanked beth09
  • 4 years ago

    I agree a waterfall countertop is not for your kitchen. I like the idea of lighter backsplash, and counters. The backsplash you have fallen in love with, is way too dark. The gray on the walls does not go in your kitchen. You also have the problem that your floor and backsplash do go together, and some of the other things, you are wanting, do not go with the floor.

    simsim0 thanked cat_ky
  • 4 years ago

    @HU-166014070 you remodel looks beautiful. congratulations! what floor and backsplash did you use?

  • 4 years ago

    Arizona tile flash ivory and floor and Decor butter toast lvp

    simsim0 thanked HU-166014070
  • PRO
    4 years ago




  • 4 years ago

    So pretty @mdln thank you!