Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlewilson

Re-staining a deck different color, over old semi-solid oil-based

Chris
last year

Hi all, and thanks in advance for anyone who can give me any pointers. My old back deck needs to be re-stained, and the color we've been using to re-stain it every few years really does not look good with new siding on the house. It is a yellowish tan that now looks super yellow against the cream color house. Pic attached shows the deck right now, after a power-washing to remove everything that was loose.

The old stain is a Cabot semi-solid oil-based product, and from doing some reading it sounds like I really can't switch to a water-based formulation at this point since it will accelerate peeling due to lack of adhesion. Since I want to change the color, and since the deck is aging, I was thinking that a solid stain would make the most sense (Defy? Restore-a-deck?) but all of the seemingly well-reviewed solid stains I see are water-based. If I stick with an oil-based semi-solid, I'm assuming that too much of the old color will show through.

Short of stripping/sanding the whole thing down to the boards and going with a water-based solid, has anyone been successful with something like this otherwise? Am I thinking about this all correctly?

Thanks for any advice on this!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths