Software
Houzz Logo Print
ibseyb

Can a toilet paper holder go on the front of a vanity drawer?

4 years ago


My bathroom has a wall mounted sink and countertop that I am planning to replace with an Ikea Godmorgen vanity. I was thinking of using the 47" version even though I have 60" of space and could fit the 55" Godmorgen in there. (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/godmorgon-sink-cabinet-with-4-drawers-high-gloss-white-30344096/#content) But I thought it would be nice to install the 47" one all the way to the left, leaving 13" inches of space on the right for a trash can, and then mounting the toilet paper holder on the side of the vanity. I just mimed it out though, and although it's more comfortable than the current placement, it will still make you twist around on the seat further than is ideal. Would it be crazy to mount my tp holder on the front of the drawer? I don't want to go with a freestanding tp holder because floor space is so limited.

Thanks!

Comments (19)

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    huh?

    easier to understand if you post a pic of the vanity you're using on a diagram of your bathroom

    Is that a pic of your bathroom?

    this is the vanity? seems rather small.


    are you doing a whole remodel? or is tub staying as is?

    why not move or turn the toilet?

    no to mounting the tp on a drawer.

    mount it on the wall next to toilet or get a tp stand.

    ibseyb thanked Beth H. :
  • 4 years ago

    Nooo, not on the Front - go w/your original idea and put it on the side of the vanity

    ibseyb thanked Sibylle
  • 4 years ago

    Thank you both.

    Beth, yes that is my bathroom. That is the vanity I am thinking of buying. The glamorous realtor's photo makes the space look a bit bigger, but it will fit with 13" to spare.


    I'm not intending to change the layout.

  • 4 years ago

    My daughter has a similar setup to the bathroom you have now. The vanity is open under the right side by the toilet and there is a drawer above (which she can not open all the way because of the toilet being in the way. You probably have 30 to 33 inches in front of the toilet where you can open drawers.

    I wonder if this Ikea cabinet would work? You'd want to check if you can open the drawer on the right with the toilet there. The drawer on the right is 15 inches tall and you might be able to raise the vanity enough to clear the toilet.

    You could hang the toilet paper under the the top drawer on the right. I would probably center the vanity on the wall if possible.

    You would have to use their sink setup.

    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/godmorgon-tolken-toernviken-sink-cabinet-with-3-drawers-gillburen-dark-gray-marble-effect-dalskaer-faucet-s99385051/

    ibseyb thanked Karenseb
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Why not a nice floor standing TP holder I would never mount anything on the side panel of a cabinet.

    ibseyb thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 4 years ago

    I have a similar size bathroom and was thinking the same as you and bushing the vanity to one end to leave room for TP and trash. When I got my 48” vanity and moved to to one end, it looked off. There just wasn’t enough space on the open end to make it not seem odd so we ended up centering on the wall. I would just go with the bigger vanity and make sure you can open drawers on toilet end. We still have to twist for tp, but oh well.

    ibseyb thanked Kate
  • 4 years ago

    In our last house, the toilet roll holder was attached to the inside of the vanity cupboard door. This was a neat solution, and worked well.

    ibseyb thanked inlondonstill
  • 4 years ago

    Here is another idea from Ikea that may work.


    With 60 inches on that wall, you would have a 4 inch space, then the 24 inch vanity base with two drawers, then the 8 inch wide cubbies (could put toilet paper in cubby), then another 4 inch space and a 16 inch wide tall cab that is only 12 inces deep and then finally another 4 inch space.

    Lots of storage that should be accessible.

    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/godmorgon-tolken-toernviken-bathroom-furniture-set-of-7-gillburen-dark-gray-marble-effect-dalskaer-faucet-s69337354/

    ibseyb thanked Karenseb
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I would do as inlondonstill suggests and configure the vanity so there is a cupboard door instead of drawers to the far right. Put the holder inside the cabinet, mounted on the door. You'll have to direct guests to its whereabouts, but it would be convenient to reach, if the cabinet door doesn't hit your knees when seated. You could also configure a drawer front to tip down with the tp inside.
    I really like the one shown here with the drawer front removed and the tp on an inset holder. This shows paper towels but it could easily be 2 tp rolls, or a smaller drawer front and one roll of tp






    like this but with tp intead of towels:


    ibseyb thanked olychick
  • 4 years ago

    I have a similar situation in a yet-to-be-remodeled bathroom (no idea what the POs used). See if the TP stands work for you.

    ibseyb thanked Fori
  • 4 years ago

    If you put tp inside the cabinet how will guests find it?

    ibseyb thanked Kate
  • 4 years ago

    You tell them.

  • 4 years ago

    Custon vanity to fit small odd shaped space. TP holder on drawer. My sister has this set up for 30 years and has worked fine. Recently she replaced sink/counter, floor, mirror, light & toilet. Cabinet is oak was natural but now painted




    ibseyb thanked jck910
  • 4 years ago

    yeah, but those are dummy drawers. also, not blocking a sink.


    I honestly think the limitation to opening the drawers at all is the bigger issue. that's probably why it was done with the curtain last time around.

    ibseyb thanked acm
  • ibseyb thanked Sue54321 ABC
  • 4 years ago

    Lots more on Amazon under “barn door vanity”

  • 4 years ago

    @acm the drawer with the TP holder is not a "dummy" drawer

  • 4 years ago

    ok, the other two are, so I presumed. must feel funny to open it! :))