Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_592770169

Endless Summer Hydrangea Light Requirements

HU-592770169
last year

Zone 6a here. I have an endless summer, macrophylla hydrangea (Monrovia Blue Enchantress) that I planted in part sun as indicated on the tag. However, I planted it in an area that receives afternoon sun only and the shrub looks terrible after an hour in the summer sun. I know I have to move it, but I don’t have a spot that provides morning-only sun. I can either move it under a small tree where it will have dappled sun 1:30p til sunset or on the north side of my house where it will receive one hour of morning sun, then direct sun at 5p til sunset. I’ve read the rays are not as harsh after 3p and I’d really prefer the location on the north side of my home, as I’m not sure it will look good under the tree nor am I certain the tree roots will allow it. Thoughts? It is blooming beautifully now, but I’ve covered it with a shade cloth since it’s gotten hot.

Comments (7)

• luis_pr
    last year
    last modified: last year

No spots on the east side? or north? Where are you? How are your summers?

• HU-592770169
    Original Author
    last year

Zone 6a, NE indiana. Summers are hot, mid 80s+ often times. The spot to the east doesn’t get shade until 2p, so I don’t think that is a viable option. The spot on the north side of my house lwill receive one hour of morning sun, then direct sun at 5p til sunset. My question is whether 5p-8p (maybe later, depending on how late into the season I am) will still be too hot for the plant.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Just so ya know......Blue Enchantress is not an Endless Summer hydrangea. It is a proprietary cultivar developed by Monrovia Nursery. It is a repeat bloomer so shares that characteristic with the ES series but that's where the similarity ends :-)

Of your planting options, I'd pick the north side of the house. Unless shaded by a considerable overhang, the north façade typically receives a great deal of bright but indirect light. No worries about it flowering well and sun after 5pm is not a serious concern.

HU-592770169 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • HU-592770169
    Original Author
    last year

That photo is how they look if i cover them every day or in the mornings. Below is what they look like if left uncovered. I wouldn’t mind covering if they only needed it on the hottest, outlier days, but this would be every day starting almost immediately after it starts blooming. This is the second season I’ve had it and I was hoping it would do better once established. This is the west side of my home and it gets sun 1:30-5:00.

I might try north since it will still get 3 hours of sun, 5-8p

• HU-592770169
    Original Author
    last year

Jordan, I wouldn’t say the leaves are crispy, but the blooms do scorch when left uncovered. I water it once or twice daily, depending on how hot it is, giving it a thorough soaking at the roots with a soaker hose.

Gardengal, thanks for the info! I just looked at the tag and it doesn’t say anything about endless summer - no clue where I came up with that! I appreciate your advice and will give it a go on the north side, relocating in the late fall.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

As I stated, unless the front façade of the home is shaded by a wide overhang or some other structure, it is not going to be a heavy shade situation. While the area will receive little direct sun (and yes, usually late afternoon and early evening), it is a pretty bright planting area with lots of indirect light. The hydrangea should have no problem blooming. I have several planted on the north side and they bloom just as heavily as those located in another aspect.

• pennlake
    last year
    last modified: last year

’Monmar’, the the plant sold as Blue Enchantress, is a dark stem sport of ’Bailmer’, the original Endless Summer