Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

A Photogenic Peak

mantis__oh
last year
last modified: last year

Saturday was the perfect daylily day, with the garden near peak and overcast skies all day. But I am exhausted and have not processed all the pictures. So here are some that happen to be on the screen, and not necessarily from Saturday. The heading is misleading.

Who knows what the rest of July will bring? But so far, this has been the best daylily season in many years. Hope that does not jinx things.

I invited a neighbor to look at the back yard when she commented on a few things in the front. When she got there, she spent little time looking, but did look at me with that silent comment of "This man needs intervention." "What do you do with them?" she asked. "Just look at them?"

Cancun Candy

Sitting Cool

Isabelle Rose looks like this day after day. Never noticed that blue pool at the neighbor's. The perils of picture taking!

The Goldilocks Effect

Philistine Champion

Doctor Handsome

Royal Girls

Love 'n Loujean

Bass Gibson

Butter Pecan

Neon Flamingo

All the Intangibles.

Safe Island

Jungle Jack Joiner is admired by interested visitors

Dave --bud count is modest

Written in Stone --upfacing

Tahitian Waterfall

Sun Panda

Ashwood Summer Sunshine

Comments (14)

• organic_kitten
    last year

Certainly a lovely group of photos!

kay

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    last year

I like the delicate Ashwood Summer Sunshine, hasnt caught my eye before. I like the shape of Dr. Handsome Handsome, not sure about the color, would like to see it in person. so many lovely blooms here.

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year

I thought maybe the blue pool was for your pooch. You used to have one in your pictures if I remember.............Cancun Island, Isabelle Rose, and All the Intangibles catch my eye, but the one that made me look it up on the database was Safe Island. What a pretty mellow color it is with lovely form and texture. I see it's an Evergreen, so how winter hardy has it been for you?.............Maryl

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    last year

Safe Island is a reliable and vigorous grower that reblooms in many years. But for many people, it is too mellow a color.

The orange on Dr. Handsome is not a brilliant orange, but more of a coral orange. The form definitely catches your eye.

I find that to post a number of photos here, one has to post incrementally, with additional edits. Hence, if there are no names, I am still adding. I like to get all the photos in the main post, not in comments.

• Nancy 6b
    last year

Wow, and WOW!. You really are having a great season. And what is wrong with that woman!!! Doctor Handsome is one i got last year, 1st bloom this year on only 1 scape. I like the color a lot, similar to the color of Mean Green. Isabelle arose has been the same here, has looked like that for almost a month now and still a lot of blooms to go. Lov'n Loujean is appealing. All the Intangibles is my kinda daylily.

I have not figured out why I can't post pics in my original post since my phone updated. I deleted cookies, tried a couple other things, but photos are not offered.

• daylilybedmaker
    last year

Mantis,

A lot of great looking blooms. Of course I am partial to SITTING COOL. I will second your comment about ISABELLE ROSE. It is the model of consistency. Pardon the pun but it is a perennial favorite (couldn't help myself). Still waiting for my BASS GIBSON to bloom. I am always drawn to PHILISTINE CHAMPION. I love the contrast of colors. I don't know why I haven't picked it up yet.

David

• lilykate7a
    last year

Love the visitor story. I am pretty sure a lot of people have that thought about us!! I actually have one of those kiddie pools in my backyard-I use it to pit my potted plants in with a little water when I am gone for several days.

Love the clump shots and isn’t it nice to have a good bloom year? I really like Love ‘n Loujean-noticed that one in one of your previous posts. Isabelle Rose is gorgeous. Dave has a nice look. Lots of blooms!!

• shive
    last year

Wow! So many gorgeous clumps! I'm most knocked out by that clump of Isabelle Rose. After seeing that picture, I'm going to get mine out of the pot and into the ground on the first cooler day. Is yours as tall as registered? I hesitated getting it for awhile because of the registered 59-inch scape. Also is yours really an early? Mine bloomed in the pot like an ML this year. I got it a year ago in April. I also really like All the Intangibles. Isn't that one a Derrow?

Debra

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

All the Intangibles is fairly new and not as tall as it should be so far. Isabelle Rose is around 40. Scapes vary in height. It is not ML. Midseason and even a bit earlier. I have one picture of June 19, which is definitely early here, but most pics are midseason.

• Brad KY 6b
    last year

I guess your neighbor is a flower lover LOL.

Wow to Isabelle Rose!! What an amazing clump. Quite prolific!! Beautiful.

Cancun Candy, Neon Flamingo, Royal Girls, and All the Intangibles are really beautiful.

Brad

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    last year

Correction: Isabelle Rose is around 40 inches tall, perhaps a bit more.

• Nancy 6b
    last year

I measured my Isabelle Rose a while back, I got it confused with another daylily and said it was 59". I later posted after measuring, I am thinking it was 44". I had branch break off in the storms Friday night, but the rest held up well. Just sayin'

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    last year

Beautiful group of daylilies! I am not usually one for pale daylilies, but Isabelle Rose is eye-catching. I really like the shape of the blooms.

Nancy

• shive
    last year

Nancy and Mantis - Thanks for additional info on the height of Isabelle Rose. I'm much happier with a scape in the 40s. I'm thinking when I saw the clump blooming at Teresa's Songbird Gardens that it looked about 48 inches tall there.

Debra