Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pudgeder

What is this ugly black bug eating my hosta?

pudgeder
last year
last modified: last year

And how do i get rid if them?

zone 7

edited to add -- I picked these off and squished them. I originally thought grasshoppers were chewing on my hostas, but apparently not.

I picked off all I could find, but now sure if I should spray with something??

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

i cant make an ID on that pic ...

see if you can find more ...

WAG.. look like a black wasp ... but with not scale.. and only seeing the bottom.. that is WAG territory ..

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=black+wasp&t=ffcm&ia=web

one thing for sure.. nothing i ever saw on a hosta.. too bad you ripped up the hosta for the pic ...

ken

pudgeder thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last year

Yes, better pix and edit your post to add the Insects forum.

tj

pudgeder thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

I agree that is likely not what’s eating you hostas. More likely slugs or cutworms. If you show uas a damaged leaf as ken said, that would help.

Also, people on the insect forum know their stuff, and usually quick with an answer.

debra

pudgeder thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • bkay2000
    last year

Could it be a leaf cutter bee? I've heard of them, but have never seen them. If so, they are not actually eating your hosta, they are cutting off a piece to use in the "bee nursery".

bkay

pudgeder thanked bkay2000
  • pudgeder
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you.

I posted over on the insect forum.

Better photos there if you're interested. Bug on hosta

My poor hostas are burning up! We're in the throes of an insipid heat wave and drought. We've had 100F/37C + temps for more than a week and it's only getting worse.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

PudgederPudge dear, you are not alone……. many of us have had the same issues this year. Sagae, Liberty Liberty, Lancifolia and Elegans which has never burned before, ever.

debra

pudgeder thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • bkay2000
    last year

Even my small leaved hostas are burning. I'm in Texas, so we are really getting the blast furnace treatment. I just water them well and hope next year is better.

Some things you just can't change.

By the way, the more I thought about your insect problem, I think it's highly unlikely it is that insect that is eating your hosta. As I posted previously, it could be a cutter bee, but they are not all black. It looks like a bee or wasp. Other than the cutter bee, a bee or wasp only goes there for the nectar of the flowers. They don't eat green stuff. The cutter bee doesn't actually eat the green stuff either, just uses it to make a nest.

bkay

pudgeder thanked bkay2000
  • pudgeder
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks to Logician over on the insect forum, it's been identified as a Blister Beetle.

It's strange that it's only on 1 hosta. (Not that i prefer it to move to any others)

Also found this video about it. Guess I'll be picking them off and throwing them in a bucket of soapy water.