Software
Houzz Logo Print
courtney_moore8872045

Pink Kitchen needs update

13 years ago
We are buying a house that was built in 1959. It's in excellent condition but needs updates. The kitchen is where we are starting. We bought stainless appliances. The cabinets are pink laminate and are in excellent condition. We have decided to paint them. Talked to installers about options and painting seems like our best option. The first 2 pictures are what we have now. The 3rd picture is what I want to do but I want to use the tile in picture 4 for floor and backsplash. Problem is the cabinet transformation kit for laminate cabinets has a gray that doesn't have the look I want. Of course I haven't actually laid eyes on the gray - just going by the picture. So if the gray is a no (and I really want gray!!) next choice is expresso. But then I would need to change the tile choice don't you think? The countertop is staying because its a beautiful white. Thoughts?

Comments (15)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Congrats on your new home, Courtney!! You are right, the cabinets are in amazing condition! Great clean lines and layout. Are there hints of gray in the the white countertops? If so, you can pull that gray tone for your cabinetry paint color. What are your plans for the hardware as far as your drawer pulls and knobs?

    I like the gray kitchen image you posted along with the slate tile! I think you can pull this off!

    Sincerely,
    Michelle@purehome.com
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I know I'm not going to be able to talk you into keeping that pink kitchen, but it is pretty fabulous! I'd love to see it with gray walls and a gray backsplash, with black and white and deep raspberry accents scattered around the kitchen. But if you are going to paint, I think you should hold out for your vision of gray cabinets, not espresso. Surely there is more than one brand of paint that is meant for painting over laminate cabinetry, no?
  • 13 years ago
    I think the backsplash will be too dark with gray or espresso cabinets.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Love the grey you have picked. Make sure there is a warranty on the paint job. Painting a laminate can be very tricky. Another option you might have is to paint the boxes, replace the doors and paint them as well. We do mostly new cabinets from our location, but refacing has become a great option when the cabinets themselves are in good shape but you want to change a style or color. I do agree that both slate floors and back splash might be a bit much. Slate on the floors can be uneven and requires a really good sealer or even top coat. You could reverse and tone the floor down some with a more simple tile and do a slate back splash.
  • 13 years ago
    Flat panel doors like yours and light counters.
    http://houzz.com/photos/4160071
  • 13 years ago
    Love the pink kitchen. Think it would work with the tile you picked out. Why not put the tile on your floor, not backsplash, and live with the pink for awhile before deciding if you really want to paint.
  • 13 years ago
    The gray is the way to go. It will be perfect. The slate is very nice go 12-14" tiles on floor. Dark grout. I not feeling it for cheap looking counters. They look plastic? If spending the money go all out and get granite or soapstone, something. You will not be happy with those counters. Paint all walls the same no accent. Dove gray or shade lighter than cabinets. Get brush nickel pulls long lowes has them. No knobs. On backsplash do not like it to match floors. Go a simple subway. In a gray. Gray grout. Granite or? A cream base with gray, black. Believe me you won't regret it. Also remove all gold, like on door very dated. What's on ceiling? I hope can lights.
  • 13 years ago
    Very strange set up with cook top. Is that it by door? I would take it all out incl ovens put in a free standing gas range, instead. Really update the kitchen. You will get back a 110% when you ever sell. Also place pulls on cab lower on corners. Get a stainless sink. They usually come with granite. New more updated taller brush nickel faucets. Use stainless accessories.
  • 13 years ago
    I'm really excited to see the after photos. Should be a dramatic transformation!
  • 13 years ago
    Have you considered using Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan? No sanding, one coat cover. And I think they have the gray you want. (Not chalkboard paint. It's a new type of paint.)
  • 13 years ago
    Love all the comments....can't wait to show y'all the rest of the house. I'm watching a video on Chalk Paint now!. I do like the look of it. As far as the sink, yes we will replace it. Totally didn't think of it yet. There are so many projects we have in our home it's overwhelming! The cooktop is where it is because the previous owner had a small fire there years ago so they moved it to where it is now and added sprinklers above it. It is in a weird position but I like the windows and door next to it - makes it bearable. The countertop is white with a gray swirl to it. It's not plastic or marble and to be honest, I don't know what it is! But for now it will work perfectly with what I am imagining in there. Thanks for the tips about changing up the backsplash. I'm really leaving towards gray and the tile we picked. I'm also going to do the chalkboard that is in the fridge but on the pantry door for writing grocery lists etc...
  • 13 years ago
    As far as hardware and pulls, haven't decided yet but am open to suggestions.