Software
Houzz Logo Print
arline_kay

Want to enclose toilet in M. Ba. so it's a "privacy" toilet space.How?

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago



Hmmm, what a dilemma. Am buying this older, remodeled house and have always had a "privacy toilet". How can I do this here? If I put up framing and drywall (sheetrock) right next to the fixed glass of shower, how would I clean the exterior of the glass which would have a few inches at most bet. the glass and the wall? I want basically two walls: one parallel to the glass wall to left of toilet as you look at pic and then another going across the front of toilet with a door (or pocket door) - & I would just attach it to the wall (exterior) where the window is. So window would only illuminate the toilet area, unless ...? Friend suggested I remove that fixed glass wall and put up a tiled wall (maybe an opening to allow the light to enter?) that would then have just the wall with the door to enter the cubicle. Sounds expensive...? ANY ideas? Just saw a pic here of a cedar wall around one part of shower - that sure looks nice. ( I like contemporary, not traditional.)


Comments (59)

  • 4 years ago

    Must find a solution that's not in the multi thousands to enclose the toilet - it's "only" two walls (one with door). One side-wall is not what I'm looking for. But, thank you.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Any solution that involves walls and a door is going to be in the multi-thousands. Even if you DIY. Many thousands more if you're hiring it out.

    It looks like you have a window in the way of erecting a wall for starters. Making this both an interior and exterior project. Add on the shower demo and rebuild; you can not just throw up a wall on top of the shower curb. Shower waterproofing is an integrated system.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Agreed, window film is your best option. Anything else requires remodeling--you'd need to redo the shower entirely to make it small enough to have room for a closed toilet space. I don't think you have the room to put up a wall next to the shower glass (but you can measure to see--would need at least 35" clear along the floor). You could also consider hanging a heavy curtain that could be pulled around the toilet from a ceiling-mount rod for some noise/light privacy. Anything with a door here would require a much more extensive remodel to make it work--you'd need to redo the shower, move the fan, move the window, etc.--so you'd have to really, really want it. I would live with it as is for a while first and see how it is not having a privacy toilet--I've never lived somewhere with one and it's honestly not something that's crossed my mind to miss, so you might be surprised.

  • 4 years ago

    Can you not lock the bathroom door when using the toilet?

  • 4 years ago

    I don't mean to be snarky but who exactly is in the room when you are using the toilet?


    Can't you just have them give you privacy by locking the door if that is an issue.


  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    A shower door company can probably enclose the area with a frosted glass door, but it will cost several thousand dollars.

    FORMA Design · More Info


    Why did you buy the house if it did not meet what seems like a very important need for you?

    I also prefer an enclosed toilet room in the master, but have lived in a house without it before and the person that needed privacy just locked the door. We did have other bathrooms in the house, so plenty of options!



    Modern White Spa Bath · More Info


  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    A better example. Shower on the left and toilet on the right.

    Silicon Valley Retreat · More Info

    Another.

    6th Avenue · More Info


    Arline Kay thanked chispa
  • 4 years ago

    I love a private toilet room as much as the next guy but unless you want to do an extensive renovation it just doesn’t seem possible to meet your needs of fully enclosing the existing space.

    Can’t you just close the door to the bathroom so no one comes in when you’re on the toilet?

  • 4 years ago

    Is there another toilet nearby the master bedroom - maybe a powder room?

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Arlene,,, sorry, but you're being a bit difficult.

    Must find a solution that's not in the multi thousands to enclose the toilet - it's "only" two walls (one with door). One side-wall is not what I'm looking for. But, thank you.

    I don't mean this to sound rude, but, We've given you just about every solution that's doable. build a screen around the toilet, frost the glass, remodel, move toilet, build a stall around it. I mean, don't know what else you want! we aren't magicians. lol

    lock the door when you're using the toilet and you won't have to worry about privacy. Is that such a difficult prospect? Do two people always use the room at the same time??

    I'm sure there is more than one bathroom in the house. Use that one?

    someone is going to have to compromise here.

    other than that, you're on your own.

  • 4 years ago

    I helped my SR mother in her 90’s and was thankful for the accessibility of the toilet. An enclosed room brings challenges as we age.

  • 4 years ago

    @bearbev - that is exactly what I was thinking.

  • 4 years ago

    OP may be young. not everyone is in their 50's-60's with elderly parents ;)

  • 4 years ago

    I think using the glass shower would make me uncomfortable more than using the exposed john.


    How about arranging a shoji screen (it might take two, depending on what you get) where you need it? Lightweight, inexpensive, and lets light through. Might not swing quite as easily as a proper door, but I think it would be okay. Would work well with contemporary decor.


    Like this (there are lots of styles and sizes out there):https://www.target.com/p/4-ft-tall-window-pane-shoji-screen-natural-4-panels/-/A-17275467

  • 4 years ago

    @Beth H. : - the OP said in an earlier comment that she is a Sr.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Arline - you said you’re buying this older remodeled home so you must not be living in it yet. I think the best advice anyone can give you now is to just move in & live with the entire house as is for awhile. You may have a change of heart about your new bath room layout & find it works out just fine. There must be other features of this home that you love or you wouldn't have purchased it. Moving into a new home is a big change which is not always a bad thing!


    ETA - from the pics ylu show, that really is a very nice bathroom! Love the big shower and all the light!

  • 4 years ago

    I can't say for sure, but the space in the bathoom does not seem big enough to allow for an enclosed toilet room. You need more room in front of the toilet. You would probably have to put the toilet room across the wall with the window and shorten the vanity.

    The room looks like it could be 8'X7'.

    I have a toilet room in this house, but never before. It was never a problem. If using the toilet, just close the door.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I think the best advice anyone can give you now is to just move in & live with the entire house as is for awhile.

    I agree. This sounds like a "want" and not a "need". When I bought my first house, I had tons of ideas for changes I wanted to make. One of the biggest ones was how badly I wanted a deck right outside of the kitchen/living room -- which is on the 2nd floor, so not an easy task. But I realized that was not really necessary, and I got used to the way the house is laid out. Honestly I barely even think about it anymore.

  • 4 years ago

    A wide horizontal privacy strip of desired height could be masked off on the shower wall and frosted with etching cream on the toilet side of the glass. Could leave top and bottom clear glass. Add a frosted glass door opening out from the toilet as MongoCT suggests.

  • 4 years ago

    I don't mean to hijack but could someone explain why an enclosed toilet is high on the list of wants. I realize that it is considered to be "upscale" but I am not sure why. Now his and her bathrooms I can totally get behind but why the need for this little closet in a middle class sized bathroom.


    I am not understanding why one needs "privacy" in a room that has a door one can lock.


    Is there some lifestyle that I have never experienced where someone is actively using the toilet and the other person must be in the bathroom doing something else. Most of the little enclosed rooms for toilets aren't that private anyway.


    And enclosed toilet rooms are never in a home with only one bathroom so presumably there is always an alternative.


    I realize that people build these things and find them desirable but I don't quite understand when they are being used.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Helen, I don't understand it either. Costs more-labor, materials. And more work & difficulty to clean. Adding walls and allowing for door swing eats up square footage. The tiny toilet cubical makes it a lot more difficult if you need to repair, unclog, replace the toilet. As well as the already mentioned hazard of getting trapped behind the door & no one can get to you in an emergency situation or if you need assistance using the facilities. No place to park the walker.

    It's almost as if people are yearning for the tiny, old, one seater outhouses of yore.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    why an enclosed toilet is high on the list of wants.

    if they're sharing their bathroom with a partner, that's why. like when one is brushing their teeth and the other one wants to pee.

    my husband and I simply use the other bathroom when nature calls and the main one is occupied. if the OP only has one bathroom, then it would be way more worth their investment to add a half bath or powder room somewhere.

  • 4 years ago

    @User I understand if there is one toilet in a home and then you get the European configuration of a toilet separate from the shower and sometimes the sink.


    But I don’t know of any homes in the US with only one toilet and a separate toilet stall room in the one bathroom. I have lived in small homes where the master has a tiny bathroom with only a toilet and sink and some homes with one full bath and a powder room.


    Apartments in Manhattan with one bathroom don’t generally have the separate stall even in relatively luxe units as people find a separate powder room to be more more functional if you are squeezing every square foot as functionally as possible 🤷‍♀️ Many people I know living in older homes have squeezed a powder room into what used to be a pantry or closet to have a second toilet


    I understand the theory but I don’t understand the real life necessity since there seem to be alternatives in most homes that are more functional than a stall in a modest sized bathroom.





  • 4 years ago

    "I realize that it is considered to be "upscale" but I am not sure why."

    Actually it's not. I have only seen them in large subdivisions where the builder is trying to impart an image of upscale that is not there in actual luxe materials.

    In this long thread - to which the OP appears not to be returning - no one has yet mentioned the ick factor of those enclosed toilets: (1) smells linger, really linger, unless there is a dedicated fan in the space, which the OP space does not have (the fan appears to be over the shower). (2) with an enclosed toilet space, you touch the inside door handle to leave but you are not able to wash your hands before doing so. If someone is squeamish about needing to be hidden away at the toilet, I am not sure why they wouldn't mind touching a door handle that couldn't possibly be clean.

  • 4 years ago

    I like enclosed toilets even if no one else is using the bathroom. My reason is that my master bathroom is large and an open toilet feels uncomfortable. I also do not want to look at the toilet from my tub or shower.

    Arline Kay thanked ladybug A 9a Houston area
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    OKAY, everyone ... I'm back; had many things to do yesterday, was out of my current house with chores and will try and ans. some questions. I DO appreciate everyone's input. And no, I'm not being difficult as Beth said ... just bec. I want something and am trying to figure it out ... THAT makes me "difficult" when up to that point the suggestions were not pleasing me? Goodness, I'm guessing you felt "rejected" ... it was a bizarre comment so early in the game. Many people, including you, were only suggesting putting up one wall which is NOT what I asked for. Anyway, I thought of Chispa's and MongoCT's suggestion late last night (hadn't seen those yet) and was soooo happy to see the included perfect picture of the concept. When Fori first suggested applying glass film, THAT started me thinking and coming up with exactly what Chispa and Mongo suggested. THANK YOU!! The existing window there would provide ventilation.

    My reasons for wanting this IS personal. But, I will add that yes, I DO consider it to be upscale; every house (4 - even from 1972) have always had it and it does provide some privacy that I think matters. And I don't want to lock the door, being a Sr. , and then blocking someone from entering in case of an emergency. If someone *does* need to use the sink or shower at the same time that I'm there, then I can at least feel less "exposed" ... and it's WHAT I WANT!! I don't think I need to apologize, lol. Making a glass door across the front IS the best solution and it WILL work - there's enough room to do that. I just did find out today that the house purchase may now be in jeopardy due to the Seller - I hope not but I'll know soon. So, this MAY have been all for naught. Oh my. Thank you ALL for your participation - it was incredible.


    It's not letting me mark "featured ans." for both Chispa AND MongoCT AND Fori - sorry - you all deserve that.

  • 4 years ago

    I like enclosed toilets even if no one else is using the bathroom. My reason is that my master bathroom is large and an open toilet feels uncomfortable

    Another that I don't understand is the ginormous master bathroom. Like why? Is there an entertainment factor that no one talks about or will admit to?

    I see floor plans posted routinely with master bathrooms and master closets often occupying more floor space than is allotted to the other individual bedrooms in the house. Are there really that many red-headed step children out there? Not that kids really need a huge bedroom but--well, it just seems out of balance. Like 'all we could afford is a huge master, huge master bath, huge master closet and just realllllly had to cut corners on the rest of the bedrooms.'

  • 4 years ago

    You could leave the glass and use frost spray. Light will come through but will not be see through. Make door in front the same.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    When I said you were being difficult, had nothing to do w/being 'rejected' (are you serious right now?) It's because every plausible suggestion had been mentioned and you're the one that rejected everything. I DID mention frosting the glass. So did other people.

    My point was, there is only so many things you can do. All of them were mentioned, so what else did you want? That's why I said what I said. I also wasn't trying to be rude, (hence the I'm not trying to be rude comment, and the 'lol' afterward) just factual.



    Many people, including you, were only suggesting putting up one wall...

    Uh, no. incorrect. I mentioned many other suggestions. care to take a closer look?

    You SAID you wanted a full enclosure.


    What else do you want, advice-wise?? seriously. Frosting the glass had been mentioned. A screen, an enclosure, remodel, new glass,...I mean, what else did you want to hear?


    Making a glass door across the front IS the best solution and it WILL work - there's enough room to do that.

    Better check code requirements for you city. You need a certain amount of clearance in front of the toilet. how are you going to put a door there and open it?



    BTW, you don't have to lock the door. You can just close it. inform the other people in the house if the door is shut, don't come in. Hang a sign on the door knob if they're dense. (if I see a closed bathroom door, I don't barge in. I knock or say something) But you could also leave a key above the door frame just in the case the unthinkable happens if the door is locked.


    If someone *does* need to use the sink or shower at the same time that I'm there, then I can at least feel less "exposed" ... and it's WHAT I WANT!!

    I don't even know what to say about this one. Plan accordingly? Use another sink? wait 5 mins to shower?

    There are solutions to every excuse given, but it seems like you don't want to hear those either.


  • 4 years ago

    If I really really need to wash my hands while someone is peeing, I use the kitchen sink.

    I have 1 bathroom (its not ideal) and do just fine without an enclosed toilet, we dont even have to lock the door. if its closed, that means someone is in there.

  • 4 years ago

    Beth: when you said I was being difficult despite all the suggestions, none of them included the toilet being "enclosed" and "every plausible suggestion" HADN'T yet been mention, had it? - they were all versions of frosted or filmed glass and with a single partition. I strongly felt that there WAS a better alternative, which it finally turned out to be the case. Perhaps had you waited until multiple various suggestions had been put forth that reflected what I *wanted*, then it wouldn't have stung. I don't think it was nice, that's all. It WAS an insult and without even knowing me. No biggie, okay?

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    How does a glass door to the potty room make it more private?

    And how to you keep from feeling on stage when you are nekkid in clear glass shower?

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    arline, no. sorry, wrong. I prefaced my comment nicely. I myself mentioned 4 diff options. I mentioned you could do some glass partitions. (BUT, You also said you didn't want to spend thousands!!) I mentioned frosting. I mentioned pony walls, diff partitions, I and other brought up everything humanly possible. You shot down everything.

    some of the solutions I gave were useless because of the cost. How much do you think it would be to erect a glass enclosure all around it?? thousands?

    The problem w/enclosing it is clearance. (and the money you don't want to spend) clearance between the toilet and the vanity. Code requires certain distance from the front to another structure, be it a wall or a vanity. You would have to have enough leg room to sit. Now add the ability to swing open a door. What's the distance between toilet and vanity?

    You can't enclose the toilet in that space! what about the vanity? what about the window? What about the cost of all this frosted, tempered glass?


    All of this is just silly. close the darn door and advise the other person to wait their turn. honestly, what is the big deal? do you really want to do your business w/someone else in there showering or brushing their teeth?? The other person is in such a rush? Buy a home w/multiple bathrooms and this won't even be an issue.

    Now I am being rude because this is ridiculous.

  • 4 years ago

    Cilantro…that was my thought. at least on the toilet its just your pants down. but i guess privacy for sound and smell is nice too.

  • 4 years ago

    This whole idea is just dumb. Waste a few grand so that someone can take a shower why you poop. Instead of you know, just waiting until you’re done. 🙄

  • 4 years ago

    The one I think is hilarious is the dirty door handle, it’s your bathroom don’t you clean it including the door handle??

  • 4 years ago

    It looks to me that the window would be inside any enclosed toilet area, thus making the rest of the bathroom darker during the day. The ceiling light and fan would also be inside the enclosed toilet area.

  • 4 years ago

    I think when a person requests ideas on how to do something, for free, from people who know about that thing, some of whom are paid for their ideas in their day jobs, a gracious response - regardless of whether the requester will use any of the ideas, is simply, Thank you, I will think about that. The requester need not tell the responders all the reasons they don’t like the ideas they got for free. Just “Thank you” is adequate.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Gosh, a lot of contentiousness from a few. The rest understood exactly what i was try to accomplish. There is plenty of room for an obscure, glass door to be put up and swing out. Note there IS a 2nd window on wall near left sink. In essence, a small fixed glass panel would be attached to the existing end glass panel (obscure film applied first) nearest the toilet and then a swinging door of obscure glass installed across the front of toilet that’s properly supported. Unkind remarks not welcome. There’s plenty of room allowance and far from the vanity. Also, I was not the one remarking about germs on the handle.


    The final pic from Chispa is exactly what I could do. Don’t know how to replicate it here.



  • 4 years ago

    "The one I think is hilarious is the dirty door handle, it’s your bathroom don’t you clean it including the door handle??"

    @lauracam - how many times a day is someone using the toilet in the enclosed space, and then using the doorknob with unwashed hands? How many times a day is someone cleaning the bathroom including the door handle? I "think it's hilarious" as you put it that you evidently would follow up every visit in the enclosed toilet with a bathroom cleaning including the door handle.

  • 4 years ago

    @Arline Kay - I may have missed it in this long thread, but how many bathrooms are in the house you are buying?

  • 4 years ago

    @M Miller, I’m not sure what you are getting all over your hands in your own personal bathroom and then transferring to your door knob that it would need cleaned constantly and maybe consider this- when you leave a toilet room, then you go to your sink and wash your hands… when you enter your toilet room you typically use the OUTER doorknob which should be clean… do you wash the handle of your sink every time you touch it to wash your hands before you turn it off?? Do you avoid touching door knobs all over your house in case someone left a germ on them?? What about other surfaces?? It’s called routine cleaning for reason but you will never have a germ free bubble whether you have a toilet room or not! NOW EVEN MORE HILARIOUS 😂

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Here is the picture from previously that I believe you liked. I reversed the image so it would be more like your layout


    So you will need to have the shower glass replaced as well as creating the door since it will need to be frosted for the privacy. In your second photo, is the location of the window going to be a problem??


    The angle of this picture makes it look like putting a door across there would hit the window. You will also need to make sure you will have 48" from the wall to the inside of the door ( in some areas that may need to be more ) and then the room for the door to swing out to the vanity ( again, it is hard to tell in these pictures, but that might not be possible either unless the door is made smaller with a panel ).

    If you buy the house, your next step will be to get a custom glass shop to come in and give you a quote. I hate to say it, but it will be thousands.

    Best of luck .

    Arline Kay thanked Debbi Washburn
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Understandably, no one noticed when I wrote yesterday, I believe, that I may have lost the house due to the Seller changing to a different buyer, higher offer. Sigh. Still negotiating. But anyway, yes Debbie, that's exactly the pic. Thank you! It wouldn't let me copy it or paste it as I normally would. Is there a "trick" to doing that? Using a Dell laptop. Anyway, the larger window is far back enough that the door and enclosure would not impede the window. M. Miller: there are two full baths in the 1900 sq. ft. house, 4 BR. I think many (but some did) didn't get that it's also that I don't LIKE using a toilet *out in the open* when I've never had to before - always, always had a private toilet so I'm used to that, I think it LOOKS a lot better in a bathroom and it's MY preference. I typically have a small cab mounted on the back wall over the toilet for supplies. Such vitriol from a few over a TOILET!! Ridiculous. Yes, I'm guessing $2-3,000 + for doing this. I'm hoping only the rear piece of glass would have to be removed, then exchanged with a frosted piece to match the fabricated door, of course.

  • 4 years ago

    Good luck with the negotiations! For what it's worth, I thought you handled the evaluation of your your potty-using preferences pretty graciously.

    Arline Kay thanked petula67
  • 4 years ago

    Late to the party here but I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria in Chicago with girlfriends for a weekend. We were sharing a room and the bathroom had a separate toilet area that was just frosted glass. We felt just as exposed when someone else was in the rest of the bathroom as if there was nothing. No one wanted to use it unless they had the entire bathroom to themselves.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I used the snipping tool - it is great - you can basically "snip" any image and save it to your desktop if you want.

    Good luck with the house!

    Arline Kay thanked Debbi Washburn
  • 4 years ago

    Thank you; not familiar with that tool. Can I then "paste" into an email, much like cut and paste?

  • 4 years ago

    Yes, you can copy and paste with the snipping tool.

    Arline Kay thanked kcooz07