Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kpw118

Exterior paint help please!

kpw118
last year

Hi Houzzers! I’ve narrowed down our paint selection to 2 options that are currently painted all over our house 🤣. I’d love any input! Color one is always at the top and color two is always at the bottom. I also included a full view of our house so you can get a feel for what the roof and rest of the house looks like… there are also teeny little paint rectangles in that photo! Thank you!!!

Comments (17)

• elcieg
    last year

Not a huge fan of a huge house painted blue, but of the two choices given go with the darker with white trim.

I like all white, especially with the bow window and its trim.

• Paula Lewis
    last year

Consider the color of your roof with the paint. And if you paint a dark color and leave the brick unpainted, then it is going to visually cut your house in two. I was looking at photos online of a house that I lived in as a child (as it is currently for sale). That house is brick half up, similar to your house. They painted it blue on the bottom and light on the top. The house looks cut in half and it makes it look shorter, to me anyway. HTH

• Sigrid
    last year

I think blue is a great color for houses, but not for yours, with it's tan stone and brown roof. I'd go with a creamy white or a sage green.

• chispa
    last year

You need to paint a large sample section next to the brick, because that is the main area people will notice.

I'm not a fan of houses painted in blue either.

• chloebud
    last year

I’d look at warmish colors due to the brick and roof.

• kpw118
    Original Author
    last year

So apparently between the two blues the answer so far is neither 🤣.

• kpw118
    Original Author
    last year

I like white and creamy houses but for ours, do not want to paint the trim the same color as the house. I think it just washes everything out and I have never liked dark trim on light houses. Any recommendations on a bold, warm toned color that we could pair with something like a white Dove trim?

• kpw118
    Original Author
    last year

This is what I had in mind… still a no?

• Sigrid
    last year

The rightmost pic would go with your roof.

• kpw118
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Steve - The siding is currently Acadia White and the trim is Ashen Tan. I feel like I am going crazy though. The combination of the siding and trim colors just don’t work for me. To me, the trim/windows and columns are so pretty and they don’t stand out at all with the current color scheme. More contrast would make it look so much nicer.

• cindyguent
    last year

With your trim/windows being tan, is white even an option as an accent?

• kpw118
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Cindy! We will be getting rid of the tan, replacing it with a warm white

• Snaggy
    last year

I like the Blue .. if you want it do it !

• cindyguent
    last year

Keep us up to date. Can’t wait to see how it all looks! I’ve seen lots of homes use a shade of blue similar to what you are thinking with a tan stone bottom, so I think it will work with your brick. Lovely home!

• cindyguent
    last year

Although I just looked at those pics you showed recently and the roof on the front entrance and (copper?) over the bay window just fade into the dark shade instead of showing against the light house color.

• kpw118
    Original Author
    last year

We went with the blue, and I love it! These are the only photos I have to show right now as they are going section by section, but I will definitely share photos of the final project when it is completed!