Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_116411910

4 inch backsplash dilemma

4 years ago

We just did our final walk through before closing. Since we live 600miles away from our new home we were only able to stop by once a month. I didn't like any backsplash options at design center so I opted out. By code I knew they were going to install 4inch lip, the one thing I didn't know was they gonna go around the perimeter. Now I have a 4inch splash glued to my fridge and oven cabinet. What should I do? And asking them to replace the cabinets is not an option, already asked and unfortunately that's how it goes. No tiled backsplash, you get this. My counters are shadow storm. What should I do?

Comments (21)

  • 4 years ago

    While it would look better without those pieces there, I'm guessing this is something that you will no longer notice after you move in. Once you put some things on your counter top and get used to living in the house, I hope it's really not that big a deal. I would just leave it at this point.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Keep it as is, but have the holes in the wall near the hood repaired.

  • 4 years ago

    You could keep it, it looks fine or remove the 4 inch backsplash and tile all of it. How would it look to tile the oven cabinet up to the cabinet height? Would it work? How much glue is on the pieces? Can they be removed and see if you can clean it up enough or repair the cabinet? Sorry I know you must be disappointed.

  • 4 years ago

    @Mark yes that will be done. They have to remove the hood and repair the hole

  • 4 years ago

    @angie Unfortunately there is no way of telling how much glue is there until I start removing the pieces. Hubby is like, don't touch it you will destroy the cabinet. But I think I will try. Worst case scenario I could glue it back or maybe like you suggested tile it. Thanks

  • 4 years ago

    Kasha let us know how it goes.

  • 4 years ago

    I think the 4" splash looks fine all the way around. The purpose of it is to protect the wall from splashes and splatters. Certainly when you are prepping food in the space next to the ovens, or pouring your morning orange juice, coffee or whatever next to the fridge, you might splash/splatter the oven cabinetry or fridge cabinetry.

    The low horizontal outlets are a nice touch - usually these builders don't put in that nice detail but instead install the outlets ugly smack dab in the middle of the wall.

  • 4 years ago

    I don't mind the 4" backsplash. I would just add stainless or something between the cooktop and the bottom of the rangehood, I think.

  • 4 years ago

    @chispa unfortunately that's what they told us, we're in SC. Now it's done and I have to figure out how to fix it :(

  • 4 years ago

    @Miranda for once they did something I asked lol can't say about a lot of other stuff, like having the TV outlet in living room at 4'. They just did standard height.

  • 4 years ago

    @Angie, will do. We're moving in Sept 15th and thus will be one the first things I have to do before I start cooking :)

  • 4 years ago

    Another option maybe to add tile in kinda same color and with beveled edges to add dimension. So your eye is not drawn so much to that 4inch splash?

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    If you're going to take a shot at removing the splashes, sooner is better. Adhesives grab more with time. I'd carefully slit the caulk, then drive a plastic drywall knife between the cabinet and splash. You may get lucky.


    I've never heard of anyone getting a red tag for removing or not having a backsplash.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    There is no code for backsplash, even in SC. That said, remove them now. If you tile the back walls you may need to reinstall the stone splash on the cabinet sides but that will look fine.

  • 4 years ago

    This is so interesting. I’ve never seen anyone attach a 4” bs to a tall cabinet. And your wet zone seems to be on the island. I hope it comes off easily. If you end up needing to repair it, your cabinet company can probably provide you with touch-up paint if you ask.

    My least favorite look is tile above a 4” splash. It’s the belt and suspenders look. But people do it. Do a Google search and see if you like it.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    @Kasia Rooth, I would definitely not add a tile on top of your 4" backsplash, certainly not until you give yourself some time to see if you get used to the sides. I think tile will draw attention away from your lovely counter and generally muck up a simple, nice-looking counter area. I'm generally not a fan of side spashes but I think these blend in and look fine.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Eam, previous owners put in a Corian countertop with 4" backsplash that is also wrapped to the oven cabinet. I don't mind, it helps keep things from being shoved up against the cabinet.

  • 4 years ago

    @Joseph thank you. Plan is to do it first thing after closing. Hubby definitely thinks I'm gonna ruin the cabinet, but I'm thinking at least I'll be able to put a backsplash on a wall and just attach the sides back, just closer to the tile. That 4" bs is 1.25 thickness, bo tile is this thick

  • 4 years ago

    @barncatz only think I'm worried about, I cook a lot. Not having any protection behind the stove will definitely ruin the wall, at least I think so. In my current kitchen I do have tile bs. And I'm with you, I really don't like putting tile above the 4"bs

  • 4 years ago

    Those side splashes could be covering a gap between the countertop and the fridge and oven cabinets. If it's a narrow gap, you can probably caulk it. If it's wider, it becomes more of a problem.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths