Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

I am considering purchasing a Remember Me hosta

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
last year
last modified: last year

There is someone in my area selling this Remember Me hosta for $10. It looks like it has rust. Two immature small eyes may mean the plant has had some damage? I understand this plant may be difficult to grow. Is this one worth $10? Help me decide to purchase or not.

I also see that this hosta is on the "Difficult to Grow" list by Don Rawson.

Comments (19)

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    last year

I had a stunner one and it was easy to grow in a pot. I would remove it from the pot and plant in the garden to overwinter. Did leave it in the pot and it rotted.

I think it is worth $10, just second flush coming late.

Now I do not know how soon your good weather going to collapse.

I am starting to round up on any late purchases.

Unfortunately some growers cleaning up their greenhouses....

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked lindalana 5b Chicago
  • Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    last year

I haven't found it to be a picky grower.

This is mine, it's pretty much in naught but open shade. Having just yanked out of its spot I got a better look at the overall plant and see it's probably due for a pot up size in the spring.

Pieter

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

I am also considering purchasing Remember Me, but I can’t find a good sized one right now, so I will order next spring. It is a sun rolerant hosta and slug resistant too. For ten bucks, I say “go for it.”

debra

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    last year

OK, I'll go for it! I've never had it and I am interested to see how it will do.

Good idea about planting it in the garden for the winter lindalana. What kind of potting media does it like? We've had very hot weather, little rain and lots of humidity. Finally temperatures are dropping a bit and the nights will now be cooler. It's been so hard on the plants (and me because of all the watering!) So I have the month of September to plant some of my potted plants into the garden to get them settled before winter.

Pieter, your plant looks very happy. It surprises me a bit because Remember Me is said by the Hosta Library to have a "striking pure white center, surrounded by a contrasting blue-green border." Is that because yours is in the shade?

Debra, I don't have to worry about it being sun tolerant as I don't have a lot of sun areas. But I do like the slug resistant part! Good idea to wait until next year to get yours.

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    last year

Lasted me 6 years. I lost it this past winter among some others.

Ken, I understands that all your hostas were OS....

Do have a thought that some hostas just do not TC well so buying them small makes it more prone to failure as many just not going to survive adulthood and some varieties are worse than others.

I got mine from a friend who still has it for about 10 years and hoping she will split with me another piece next spring.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    last year

Pieter, your plant looks very happy. It surprises me a bit because Remember Me is said by the Hosta Library to have a "striking pure white center, surrounded by a contrasting blue-green border." Is that because yours is in the shade?

'Remember Me' is like many of the medio-variegated members of the Halcyon family, such as 'June', 'Katherine Lewis' and 'Paradise Joyce', their variegation rather depends on the light they're exposed to. You may recall a thread I started on my 3 Katherines.... This year this particular plant was situated in the shade and then a good deal of the plant was hidden by a sizeable 'Monashee Blue Cup', so it didn't see much, if any, direct sun.

Here it is in late September 2017 in a different location.

While I don't have any pictures of them at the moment, there are 2 'June's in the front of the bed this plant's in this year they must have been more shaded than in years gone by, they hardly show any cream, mostly just shades of green...

Pieter

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

Ken, I understands that all your hostas were OS....

=====

not even close ... a lot were.. because when i started ... in the early mid 90s.... there was not TC ... so in theory.. everything on the market was divisions from the first plant ..

but my point in mentioning that .. was not to brag about OS.. but to explain.. why this collector.. me ... actually had 9 of them ... because someone gave them to me ... collectors buy one of everything.. and try to... lol .. they dont understand multiples ... i cant fathom wasting money on buying more than one of a plant ... ill willing grow them on myself.. to divide them in a few years.. f i have some plan where i need more than one ...

ken

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

Hmmmmmm, maybe I will reconsider…….. I want this plant for the burial of my mama cat

”Snow’s” ashes. She passed away two weeks ago at the age of 18. I am looking for a hosta to memorialize her. I have had a hard time finding a sun tolerant one for this. I have already used Eternal Flame for another cat. I don’t want one that’s likely to die in a few years. I love the look of Pieter’s hosta in the shade, but I don’t have much shade space available.

debra

• old_dirt 6a
    last year

I also had RM and only lasted a few years. It was her a very nice plant while it lasted. After it withered away, I went to my local hosta heavy nursery to replace it. They quit carrying it because of the difficulties growing it.

I will try another if I ever see a large healthy one.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked old_dirt 6a
  • mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    last year

Only buy RM if you want it to die after 2 years

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked mikgag Z5b NS Canada
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last year

Debra I am so sorry you lost Snow, I know how difficult it must be. If you have a good amount of room Winter Snow is lovely.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • lindalana 5b Chicago
    last year

Hugs, loosing family sucks.

Library has several hostas with Snow name.

Original Author
    last year

lindalana, I hope your friend gives you another piece of RM too!

Pieter, thanks for explaining the color change. I do remember your thread about the 3 Katherines.

Debra, I am sorry that you lost your Snow too. It is so sad when we lose our dear pets. I don't know whether RM is a good hosta. You said that you would like to plant a hosta in memory of Snow and that the area gets a lot of sun. I overheard my hosta society members speaking about Praying Hands and that it does so much better when planted in the sun. Maybe you would like to consider that plant?

Now I don't know whether or not the person who has the RM I would like to purchase has changed her mind. She's not contacting me for pick up. We'll see what happens. I'm not optimistic about it growing for me.

Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

It certainly does look like I won't be getting the Remember Me. If you're selling something, and then don't connect with the person for a couple of days, that says a lot!

Went to my local nursery and they were having a sale. Bought Pandora's Box. I've heard it's challenging too! I'm only going to try it once! I had something similar to it and it died. I am planning to put it in the ground with a cage over it until the ground is frozen.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

Thanks for condolances all…… I will check out Winter Snow.

NHL, I bought Pandora’s Box this year and potted it. Since then it has done well. I have to plant it in the ground now and have my fingers crossed.

debra

Original Author
    last year

Looks like your Pandora's Box is doing well so far Debra. Hopefully both of ours will survive!

• garyz6ohio
    last year

I've grown Remember me for several years, but only in a pot. You will probably do better with your Pandora

s's Box if you put it in a pot and then bury pot and all in the garden as it likes to be a little root bound.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked garyz6ohio
  • Esther-B, Zone 7a
    last year

Remember Me is a total stunner. It has its best yellow coloring in the spring. I love that one.