Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heather_protz9581

Exterior Paint Color Dilemma

Heather Riedl
last year

We bought this house and immediately want to change the paint color! The seller left us awesome brand new shake shutters and the exterior of the windows is black. We’re in South Carolina so would love a classic southern look. Our intial thought was white with white trim, black shutters and maybe a peach door. Looking for suggestions on nice white colors or alternative suggestions! The trim is very thick on the house so I think painting the trim dark would be a really aggressive move. Does anyone know how to mock this up on photoshop?

Comments (37)

• jackowskib
    last year

Your idea sounds lovely. I would remove large shrubs on left and tall one on right so the beautiful birch tree gets all the attention. Some flowering shrubs added would be pretty. Good luck!!

• arcy_gw
    last year

I would be giving it a lift too!!

• Rachel Lee
    last year

Black shutters on the front three windows only. If that’s a storm door, take it off and paint the door itself. Remove the flat topped shrubs.

• Heather Riedl
    Original Author
    last year

Yes we only have 3 shutters so that’s all we would put on. The color is horrendous! We have done a lot of landscaping since we got the house for sure. Does the white color sound like something that would look nice on this cape? A traditional style house is new for us.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year
    last modified: last year

Can we see the new landscaping or is this it? IMO shake shutters do not belong on this house. I love a classic white house with black windows and I do not see thick trim anywhere so maybe explain that . Can we also see the new shutters . Maybe a nice wide white trim on a darker taupe could work

• mojavemaria
    last year

You may not like the color it is now but it does work well with your roof. Painting the house white will be jarring with the roof color IMHO. If you don't plan on changing your roof you need to find a color that complements it like a taupe because a lot of the roof is visable.

• Jilly
    last year

Yes on the shutters. They’ll help balance out how big the dormers look vs the windows below.

I think black and white would look great. Love window planters, too:

Your photo doesn’t enlarge much, can you upload a larger image? It would be easier to see details, and for someone to photoshop.

• Heather Riedl
    Original Author
    last year

@jinx that white cape has been my inspiration the whole time! Here is a photo of the trim I’m talking about

• Heather Riedl
    Original Author
    last year

We still have a ton of landscaping to done but we’ve started cleaning up the rotten wood decking on the walkway

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

I would leave window trim as is,

• Heather Riedl
    Original Author
    last year

Yes the windows will stay black but there is a wider trim on the windows as well that I was contemplating painting black but I think it would be too aggressive

• Jilly
    last year

I agree. I wouldn’t paint the trim black.

Such a pretty house, hope you update us. :)

• jackowskib
    last year

I live in SC too. If you decide to go white maybe you’re planning to paint foundation too? If so plan for landscaping to keep bottom of foundation clean and not get clay orange, lol!

• Heather Riedl
    Original Author
    last year

Awesome! We have a brick foundation and are planning to do a brick entryway so the plan is to
    Power wash and see how it looks before we paint it either way. This is the fixer upper special so we can’t even see the brick behind all the moss right now

• Sue
    last year

When you get the photoshop thing going, I would try keeping your colour, adding black shutters, and installing a statement door in a colour you love. Would also check out adding a long porch wide enough to sit out on.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

White sounds great and it will be perfectly fine with your roof.

Maybe some cleaning of the roof is in order, though.

The window trim is not terribly wide and I second the idea to see what it looks like black.

• Sue S.
    last year

I drove by this house and thought it might give you some ideas.

• trenza
    last year

You can us a paint app. Like Benjamin Moore upload your photo for the visualizer and play with different whites to give you a better idea. I also suggest when you narrow it down definitely go buy small cans and color block test the colors around your house. There are SO many different whites to choose from and they look totally different in each space/side depending on how the sun hits the house at different times of the day.
    Good luck!

• Annie Guthrie
    last year

If you are going to stay with the existing color of the home try and draw that darker tone of the roof for some of the trim and paint the door a bright color as it is the home is too monochromatic … it is an adorable home just needs a punch of color!

• hank509
    last year

We have a similar house in SC. I wanted to do what you did but my designer recommended Sherwin Williams Status Bronze for the shutter accent. I cannot enlarge your house photo but the roof color looks the same as ours. When I saw his paint choice on the chip I was not sure but decided to trust him. It looks amazing and we get lots of compliments. That color may be a way to get the dark shutters and tie in with the roof color.

• Heather Riedl
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I’m probably more confused now that j was before I posted this 😂

• Martha Stein
    last year

White house, black shutters, black trim around each window, red front door., window boxes on the bottom windows.

• nancy123456789
    last year

hank509 . Do you have a photo of your house? Your paint color sounds like a great idea.

• vinnie56
    last year

Our 2-story house has dark brown shingles (much darker than yours). This spring we painted our house with Benjamin Moore's White Dove (low luster) and used a taupe for the trim. It is amazing!

• Janie
    last year

hank509 .. your house sounds like a beautiful option.. do you have a photo to give the author an idea?

• Janie
    last year

Peach or coral is a warm tone so make sure your white ( should you lean towards that is a warm white to complement your peach or coral door.. a couple of examples

• caterfran
    last year

I personally do not like this color for a front door

• Jilly
    last year

@lisedv Great mock-up! Love how that looks.

• decoratoreva
    last year

Heather, If you decide to go white, be sure to add mildewcide to the paint to help prevent mildew. Does the peach color you are thinking about for the door go with the brick on the skirt of the house and the chimney? A curved flower bed would be nice outlining the walkway. You might want to move the cast iron plants to the area where the grass isn’t growing, they prefer shade. It looks like they may be getting too much sun and would look nice under a tree. Be sure with what ever plants you decide to install, that they coordinate with your color scheme especially with the front door color. Benjamin Moore has an app that you take a photo then you can “paint” the photo. Good luck.

• Martha Stein
    last year

I also agree with the comment to enlarge the two lights on either side of the front door. They should be at least 18 inches in height and preferrably black.

• Jack Turner
    last year

The tan colored roof really doesn't work with the white and black.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

From your pix, the windows do kind of look like black holes. Maybe another color for the shutters would remedy that. Perhaps there is a better choice for the front door on a cape, and the lantern lights need to be larger (1/3 of the front door's height.) IMO, fresh landscaping will be the real game changer here.

• Connie Bundy
    last year

You have gotten a lot of ideas from your post! I do not have a cape, nor do I live in the South. Here is what I would do. I LOVE the idea of the peach/pinkyorange concept for the front door. It will set your home just a bit apart from the crowd. I would do the body of the house in a soft pale ivory, not bright white. It will work well with the front door, and speak to the roof color, while not accenting the roof. The shutters would look good in a Taupe Grey, a deep tone to work with the black windows, but not bold black. Possibly SW's Westchester Gray. I also love the idea of the large exterior lights at the front door. They bring attention to where the door is. I would paint the storm door the same color as the front door, to bring continuity. Post pics when you complete this!

• PRO
    BSH-enthusiast
    last year

Peach House, Black Shutters, & Blue Door.

• hank509
    last year

Here is a photo of our house. The lighting makes the doors look more orange than they are but the shutters are Status Bronze. We have "almond" colored vinyl siding from the 80's which I always disliked until we added the carriage doors, shakes and bronze shutters.

• PRO
    Raptor Freak Industries LLC
    last year

Good Evening! My question to you is what is it exactly, that you would like done to your house? Please give me a call (845)905-9105. Thank you, Madison Marshall