Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

Black Tuscan Fig Pictures

dieseler
last year

Just noticed several Tuscan figs starting to ripen.

This cultivar have not tasted as of yet it has been said to be somewhat similar to Madeira.

Plant purchase was May of last season bought rooted in a 16 oz cup.

Anyways here are pictures of 2 figs starting.

Picture of plant below.

Best

Martin

Comments (14)

• bluemoonlight
    last year

It does look like Black Madeira, even the short nodes on fruiting branch.

I am looking forward to see ripen one ! Please don't forget 🙂

Here is what's ripping here

Abbotsford unk, might be Blue Celeste 🤔

This is what Abbotsford unk looks hanging on branch. Very sweet fig.

Hardy Chicago ripening a few too.

• bluemoonlight
    last year

Martin, I also wanted to complete Black Tuscan tree 😀

• bluemoonlight
    last year

Lovely !

Martin, that is unbelievable ! Such resemblance. How was the texture ? I can see it's pulp shiny and full of nectar, some nectar in fig is juicy but in Black Madeira the nectar is jammy and that makes huge difference.

Do you currently have Black Madeira ? I hope Cravens Craving will not disappoint you, fingers crossed !

I don't think my Black Madeira will ripen it's figs this season, I root prune it in February a little more then I wanted to and didn'tt op prune enough ! Well such as life ! I just picked all the figs of of it and only left 2 digs on each fruiting branch 😲 🤣 hoping that will help.

Thanks a lot for sharing your pictures and experience.

This one is new to me fig, second season graft produced a few figs. It's texture was thick jam like, sweet and tangy, really good seed crunch, kind of like Hardy Chicago but more sharp.

Until next time

Anna

• dieseler
    Original Author
    last year

Anna yes i have a one kk madeira growing nicely and another Madeira from jon encanto's stock ,ucdavis cultivar that is badly infected with the virus . Both have some figs come on late so i took most off and doubt any ripe this season.

Pastilere figs below

I had a ucdavis pastiliere 10-12 years ago here are some pictures to see the figs.

It drop most of the figs but the few to ripen were really good , will say the plant was pretty good with the cold storage as well .

Pastilere plant

Best

Martin

• bluemoonlight
    last year

Amazing how ripe your figs get, you must have lots of patience. I love the way you shape your tree 🙂

This is me second Pasteliere at 18gr it was shriveled at picking no side cracking like on yours.

Hopefully it is true to type, time will tell.

• dieseler
    Original Author
    last year

As was taken the figs in garage i felt this tuscan fig was ripe enough to try

So i cut in half and took picture .

Skin was soft as i ate each half at a time thats was nice, it did have faint berry taste and noticed a little tartness or acidity so not over sweet which palate enjoys .

All in all this tuscan fig tasted better than the first fig off plant.

So in short really looking ahead to next season and tasting more than a fig here and there from these new cultvars as they do have promise of being a fig worth the trouble of taking care of.

Best

Martin

• Bluemoonlight
    last year

That is nice one too.

Is Tuscsn a young tree?

I forgot and dont have time to read back 😞

Martin are you shufeling fig trees that might have chance to ripen last figs?

Day temps are still around 75 F nights are slowly going down, last night lowest was 44 F.

Your trees look like you keep them about 4 feet tall when they start ripening fruits, do you hard prune and tin them to keep them manageable size ?

All your fig trees that you show here are well balanced, would you share how you do it Please ?

I also love to see pictures off of your disk.

Anna

• dieseler
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Anna most were bought April 2021 tuscan came in a 4 1/4 inch growers pot others in 4x9 inch growers pot after short time they were transplanted into 1-2 gallon pots then some into 5 or 10g containers this season Eventually they get topped around 30 -36 inches this season. Two preto plants came this season.

Lately they been coming in garage , yesterday too cold to take out and today will be 56 for the high but thats only for short time so they may stay in not sure.

The cold came suddenly last week so its my thoughts the figs will not finish ripen as should if only that cold held off for another week or two but not the case.

Below tuscan, cravens, madeira kk - click to enlarge

dated 4.16.21

Best

Martin

• Bluemoonlight
    last year

Nice, so most of the time with your pruning technique you get the tree to produce a few figs in their second season. That is great !

End of season is nearing, it's cool this morning but it should be sunny from 10am to 5pm 75 F

Best regards

• dieseler
    Original Author
    last year

Had a black tuscan fig today skin was edible and there was a little seed scrunch as well .

Martin

• Bluemoonlight
    last year
    last modified: last year

Looks good, the leaves on tree looks a little dehydrated, do you water less at ripping time ?

I picked those yesterday, most where picked after shriveled, except Col de Dame Blanc which I found on the ground, it's not ripe it was very tangy.

Nice day to you Martin

Anna

• dieseler
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Anna yes i did not water and figs stop the splitting , yesterday before dark all were given some water. Now they are in yard until frost hits then in garage for season.

There are a few figs left but not much is expected from them except a ischia black that may be picked today or tomorrow seems like this plant can take a beating similar to hardy chicago.

Best

Martin

• dieseler
    Original Author
    last year

Had 1 Tuscan fig today and it was the best so far from this plant Soft skin and if this is what is to come great.

Sorry no picture.

Martin