Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_bernier57

So lost for what to do with this wall

Sarah Bernier
last year

Planning to keep the TV and mount it over something like that walnut TV stand in the second picture. After that, I’m completely lost. Any ideas? (Anything other than open shelving. I detest open shelving).

(Main focal point in the room is the fireplace, not the tv)

Comments (26)

• jck910
    last year

Looks like the new TV stand will fill the wall nicely. I don't think I would add anything else to the wall. The plant and lamp may have to be moved elsewhere in the room.

Please post a picture of the entire room for more helpful suggestions

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I love the stand and IMO nothing else needed I dislike wall decor around TVs

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

your over thinking it! that console is amazing go for it. Its a tv wall so it should not be the focal point if that makes sense.

IM Thinking wall paper could be cool. as an idea

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year
    last modified: last year

I agree, you don't have to have things on the wall around the TV.

Maybe, instead of placing the TV directly on the new console, mount it on the wall a little bit higher?

• Sarah Bernier
    Original Author
    last year

So you would leave it blank besides the mounting the TV and the new console? I was thinking maybe some art behind the TV that is mostly just texture. Or more traditional art around the TV. We also have a distinct lighting problem in this room so finding a way to add light would be nice, such as some sconces

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

This area is set back, sure you could add anything you want, but lighting a tv wall is tricky and usually you dont want to be looking at light while watching tv. and you dont want it glare on the screen. You could wallpaper that wall, you could add wall sconces, you can add art, lots of example, type in MCM TV wall. You could put small up lights on the floor and light up the wall behind the tv.

• Maureen
    last year

It really depends on the proportions of the console, its relationship visually with tv (which doesn't have to be centered), and how the empty space feels, above and beside. Once set up, you’ll get a better idea by testing different ideas.

• er612
    last year

Where's the referenced fireplace?

• Sarah Bernier
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much for those inspiration photos!

Here’s some photos of the fireplace and rest of the room

• Sarah Bernier
    Original Author
    last year

Fireplace in the room

• Sarah Bernier
    Original Author
    last year

Better lighting

• Sammie J
    last year

I would place the console and tv on the wall, nothing else. Are you keeping the fireplace black? If so, you have to at least add some pillows with a black pattern so that the black looks intentional - right now the fireplace is too dominant in the room. I'd also consider switching out the coffee table to something a bit larger that ties in the black and walnut...

• Sarah Bernier
    Original Author
    last year

That coffee table is gorgeous! Yes The coffee table is another thing I haven’t figured out yet. That item and actually stole from downstairs to use temporarily. But I’m nervous with glass (or hard corners) and three young kids 😬.

There are a few other black elements I didn’t include in the room, here and there.

This room is very much a work in progress so, any suggestions are welcome. The fireplace is going to stay black but I’m considering lightening it up with larger lighter artwork and possibly lighter colored fire screen... maybe?

• er612
    last year

What a lovely room! Looks like your dogs already enjoy it as is. I would just buy the tv stand and add a couple pics/art or lamp next to the TV.

• Sarah Bernier
    Original Author
    last year

Although I was thinking about getting rid of those black shelves and black frame and doing one large piece of art, more like this (photo). But I can see where the black is feeling less tied into the room that way 🤔

• Laurie H
    last year

I’d get rid of the lamp unless it is needed. I’d replace it with a big tree or plant. Candles and/or vases on the media center. Nothing else is needed.

• Maureen
    last year

Seeing the other wall, definitely keep tv wall to a minimum if leaving it as is. I’d suggest though a large horizontal piece of art centered over the couch (select something containing black if you wish to tie in fireplace).

Would the piano fit under the window, so you can add a small side table with a better floor lamp (black metal) as height in that corner would be helpful. Then figure out tv wall. @er612 has great suggestions.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

yes I agree dont weigh that side of the room down. I would start by getting the tv stand the tv mounted and go from there. As to lighting the uplights would work, you could also run a cord under the sofa and put a lamp on the far end of the sofa. I think you need larger end tables the hair pin legs get slightly swallowed up.

• dpepsi
    last year

• elcieg
    last year

I am not a DIYer. But, I bet you are! There are all sorts of on-line access to panels that have different faux applications. Add a LED timed light for back lighting. You might be able to use the console you have now and just paint it.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

I would place the shelves over the electric piano and then center art over the sectional.

The ottoman should be twice the size you have.

• Sarah Bernier
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much. Totally agree with all of that except I’m wondering... really keep the shelves and move them? Or just get rid of them? I would love to do a large piece of art there. I never even consider keeping the shelves... but I like what you did with them in this photo. Was that because it’s actually better that way or just you thought I didn’t want to lose them?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

You'll have a very hard time finding two pieces of art that work together on that wall and don't fight one another.

Also if you like you can peel and press LED strip light under the shelf to illuminate the keyboard.

• er612
    last year

Instead of shelves you could get a simple wooden picture ledge, which will allow you to easily swap out pics/art.

Also, I think a print above the piano works if you align the bottom with the bottom of the art above the sofa.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

nice room. can you shoot a pic straight at the media wall while standing behind that sofa?

It's easier to photoshop some ideas.

I like this one to play off the dark brick, but the warmer walnut consoles would also work.

Mount your tv to the wall after selecting a console.

you like this look?

you could do a photo gallery of some type since you have that tall wall. I also like the idea of bringing in a cool chandelier for the middle of the room

I like the ideas given to you about the wall behind the sofa. you need larger art. those small shelves get lost.

for the piano, look up ideas on how to decorate above a piano.