Software
Houzz Logo Print
danielle_starr92

Bought an old home with no curb appeal

3 years ago

Hello!

My husband and I bought a new older home rested in a downtown area and are trying to think of ways we could make the curb appeal better. We really want to fix that blank area toward the right of the house and give it more of a “cute” look. We already plan to paint shutters a black color and either keep the house white with a power wash or are open to suggestions.

What are your thoughts?

Comments (12)

  • 3 years ago

    I think landscaping is your friend, rather than doing a lot to the exterior.

  • 3 years ago

    Any possibility of putting a window there?

  • 3 years ago

    Maybe tall potted plants on either side of your door, some patio furniture on the right, and landscaping along the front of the house. New porch light with house numbers and mailbox on front of house. Do you need the storm door? Lots of potential to be cute!





  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    That large blank area to the right IS rather distracting.......... I'd be inclined to bring the focus down to ground level by staging that area as a seating area with a bench or a couple of chairs and some appropriate décor: cushions, rug, maybe a large potted plant. Beef up the columns, ditch the storm door (shouldn't be necessary with that broad an overhang) and paint the door a vibrant color. Add a large colorful entry mat and a pair of flanking light sconces.

    I won't get into the shutters versus no shutters debate but if they remain, I'd increase the width to make them look at least semi-functional. I'd also probably opt for a wall mounted letter box and get rid of the clunky and unsightly mail box.

    Improved landscaping can help also but I wouldn't make that the priority now. It's the entry that really needs attention.

  • 3 years ago

    Gardengal’s comment about a seating area inspired me to search for photos. Here are a couple that use mirrors, vertical siding, or large urns to add height (to balance upper window):

  • 3 years ago

    Or this

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Remove or extend the covered patio area. The shutters are not helping. Id rather see you paint the window trim. get a new exterior light and storm door. I would not do black on this house it would only highlight the balance issue.


  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    This is what I would do to give your house an updated more modern look...

    - Remove all shutters

    - Paint the trim at the roof line black as well as the frames around the windows

    - Enlarge the columns and stain a nice dark brown as well as the horizontal beam above (covering those areas in wood planks is easy)

    - Install a nice front door and paint black

    - Install a large black sconce (height should be 1/4 to 1/3 the height of the door)

    - Install a railing, that helps cut down on the height under the window and creates a nice conversation area

    - Work on landscaping




  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Really I think the most straightforward way to deal with this, if possible is to put a window there like you would expect to see. Even if it's in a furnace room behind the furnace and you have to put interior shutters or wood blinds on it to partly obscure the view.

    I feel like furniture on these narrow porches that people aren't really going to end up sitting on look sort of like elaborate holiday decorations, if often doesn't look useful or natural, it looks planted there. It's and option and it may be the only option that is viable, but I would look into fixing the initial problem first before just distracting the eye with decorations.


  • PRO
    3 years ago

    If you decide to add a window, here are your options depending on how your house is divided inside. I've removed the railing from the sketch.




  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I’d play up the charm (like RL’s mock-up) instead of trying to turn it into a 2020’s MCM mash-up.

    As I type, every builder in my town is churning out black and white houses with cedar accents and mod lights, and every flipper is doing the same, so I’m speaking from a place of ”Hot damn, I’m so sick of that look please stop”.

    But YMMV and that’s perfectly ok. :)

    What style do you like? You said ”cute” and I agree. Something welcoming and warm instead of stark and minimal.

    Landscaping and porch decor will make a huge difference.

    ETA: Can you replace the mailbox with something different, a different style?

  • 3 years ago

    Anything high contrast will serve to highlight the lack of balance and symmetry. I think your best bet is to paint it more monotone like RL's mock up, then add landscaping and porch decor. Maybe add some hanging plants there too. Can your mailbox be replaced with a wall mounted option?